Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30cal accuracy issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Freddiefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30cal accuracy issues
    Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 8:26pm
Hi everyone. Forum newbie here. As a bit of a novelty I bought a Hatsan 30cal. I love its power and had read that it was pretty accurate, even straight out of the box. Now, I've put around 250 - 300 pellets through it and its accuracy sucks. Sometimes I think I've finally nailed it so I put the gun away. Next time I bring it out I struggle to get 4 inch groups at 25 meters. It seems very hold sensitive. Doesn't like artillery at all. Holding tightly improves the accuracy (more firmly at the trigger and shoulder, but less pressure up front).

The trigger could do with some adjustment.

All sorts of thoughts have gone through my mind. Something wrong with the gun, pellet issue, trigger not right, hold not correct, I'm out of ideas to be honest. I might get 3 shots to group then the next will fly off up to 3-4 inches away!

Tried Jsb 44.75 grains, jsb 50.15 grains and Air boss 49 grain pellets.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? I've put the gun away for the moment in frustration.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:35pm
Is it spring or vortex gas ram?
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:46pm
Welcome from Taranaki, my carnivore is listed under reviews. Initially I struggled to get consistency but found I could move the barrel when latched so it had not been assembled correctly, accuracy of the replacement was immediately noticeable. I hold firmly against shoulder and then let the front move freely. Trigger remains at factory setting so not sure what improvements are possible.

Happy to try a few things and run a few targets for comparison.

Adjusting and using the cheek riser worked well for me.

cheers

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:47pm
Good evening sir, yes I've been there done that with my hatsan .25cal

First things to check as follows.

Break the barrel and cock it. Holding the stock so the barrel points down.

Check the barrel when you lift it up, does it swing freely back down or stay where you leave it. If is swings back down, the bolt that tightens the piviot point is too loose.

Also at this point check if the barrel has any movement side to side. My .25 had a huge amount of play here and I had to shim the breech to remove this. Accuracy imporved from a 4" group at 20 to >1" once I sorted both these two issues.

Next check the breech seal, the factory one compresses very fast so you may be loosing pressure out this when you shoot. Spare breech seals and piston seals can be purchased from custom air seals in Australia

https://www.customairseals.com/product/hatsan-95-125-135-walther-breech-seal/

Next thing to check is if it's loosing power. If you don't have a chronograph just check if the POI is dropping at your zeroed distance over time. If this is happening the air in the vortex piston is leaking and will need to be rebuilt. I have all the gear to rebuild the piston for you if this is the case. My had to rebuild my piston after around 600-700ish shots so if it not this just be mindful of it in the future. You may not ever have and issue with it.

Try the above out then report back. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.
Ralph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 9:24am
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your .30cal Freddiefx. I have always liked the look of these rifles and have thought for awhile about getting one in .25cal. Yesteday I was in H&F at Botany and they have one there in .25. Did a lot of searching on the net last night and the issue of lack of quality control is consistent. I'm too old to be mucking aroung resctifying a manufacturers faulty workmanship. I want to be able to take an air rifle out of the box and shoot it. Decided to sleep on it and after reading the above posts this morning I will give it a miss. Timely posts, thanks
Sig Sauer ASP20 .177

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 2:50pm
Hi FreddieFX, welcome to the forum.

Looks like some good advise from other owners. I've never owned one of those, but have owned other airguns, and it is often the tolerances that maketh a gun.

Let us know how you get on. 

Freddiefx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddiefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 4:48pm
As far as I know they are all gas piston. Having said that the ones sold here in NZ seem to be missing the "vortex" on the barrel. So - I'm not sure.
Ralph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 4:51pm
From what I've seen the Carnivore 135's in NZ are all springers but stand to be corrected.
Sig Sauer ASP20 .177

Freddiefx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddiefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 4:51pm
Yep, I found it to be totally inconsistent using the artillery hold. Sounds like you discovered a firm grip at the shoulder works best too. Good to hear confirmation. Will try playing with the cheek riser too. Thanks for the tip.

So you actually had to get a replacement gun?
Freddiefx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddiefx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 4:59pm
Hi Billbobznz. Thanks for the reply. I'll run through your checklist over the weekend. Hopefully it's one of those things.

So, check for side to side movement with the barrel fully cocked?

Thanks for your kind offer to help rebuild the piston if necessary. Will definitely keep it in mind. Cheers.

It's pretty frustrating because a lot of the Pyramid Air forum reviews say its accurate straight out of the box. Makes me suspicious - maybe I got a bad one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic