Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auckland Based Air Gunner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BushSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 5:22pm
Evening All
To answer jwabfrog regarding the tuning.
*High polished piston cylinder 
*High polished piston body
*Drilled out transfer port (4.5mm)
Regarding the high fps, I have had three readings of of crazy high fps.1840 / 1723 / 1630.
After further investigations, I am putting it down to residual oil / grease in the piston chamber, so this shows you just the effect of dieseling.
Saying all of that, I am still blown away with the consistently high fps increase I have managed to get from the pretty basic tuning done to this rifle.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:23am
thax forthat was just interested in what you have done to what was allready quite a powerful rifle depending on what type chrono system you use its possible to get false readings depending on how close the light screens are to the muzzle so as you say it proberly picked up residue coming out barrel,these are rather powerful rifles to begin with and they certainly like the heavier pellets best because they produce velocitys high enuf to use heavy pellets effectivly,they very close in velocity and power to many pcps,i am looking at getting the g magnum 1250 10x mag feed rifles  as an upgrade for my old shadow rifle,i been a pcp man for 20 years but these new gas ram repeating rifles got me intersted in break barrel rifles again,so was good to read your post as anything that can improve a rifle is allways of interest.
 cheers mike 
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:08am
Invites a bit more comment on the replay format.
.22 Gamo Magnum Replay 10: I own for fun and cannot deny it has real potential at 40 - 50 metres however it is hard work and not a daily choice.
.22 Gamo Replay 10: Used as a target rifle and at 1/2 the power this is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot, similar to my favourite Gamo Shadow series in power.

Distance Assessment
4 targets were set up with an average distance of 47 yards.
Included metal reseting bird, metal swing set, 5 inch target and 2 inch shoot N.C.
Very strong and changeable wind right to left and could not seem to overcome it using .177 rifle.

Winner on the day Gamo replay -10 Magnum (29ft/ilbs muzzle energy).
Standout at this range.

Biggest surprise of the day was the Gamo replay-10. (14.7 ft/lbs).
Readily make scoring shots with this unit.

Gamo .22 Replay-10 Magnum one piece mount with packaged Gamo 4-9x40 set at magnification 4
H&N crow magnum.
Immediately on target.
Pellet type designed for 30+ metres and scope was previously set for 25 yards.
Step above other rifles under these conditions on the day as did not need any windage consideration.

Gamo .22 replay-10 gamo rings with stealth 4x40
Webley VMX pellets.
Immediately on target, able to repeat and make bullseye. (unexpected at this distance).
Had been recently zeroed at  25 yards.
Spent a lot of time with this one, effort = reward when using this rifle.

Replay 10 Accuracy under better conditions.
Out of the box .177 Replay 10 tested at 14.7 ft/lbs.
Measured distance of 23 yards took the top off a drawing pin.
Potentially the most accurate break barrel rifle I have owned.

BushSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BushSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 12:40pm
That's some great info "mercs", thank you very much.
Regarding my GAMO Swarm Magnum .22, it can be an accurate rifle but it certainly is very hold sensitive and pellet picky. 
So far my best results have come from the heavier 25 grain pellets.
I must admit, I have also removed the swarm x10 system from the rifle as it was consistently spitting out the heavier pellets from the mag on almost every shot as well as not feeding the pellets into the breach chamber all that well. 
So I am back to a standard single load per shot. It don't bother me to much.
This rifle has also killed two GAMO scopes with its recoil, even though Im using the GAMO recoil reducing rail. Cry
I have just bought a new Crosman 2250 .22 and ordered a whole stack of upgrade parts from GMAC in the UK so this will be a fun new project gun. This past weekend I did some valve and transfer port mods to this gun and it has given it a decent boost in FPS, so looking forward to the new parts to go on it.
I will post some pics over the developments.
CuteRabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 2:22pm
CryCryCry Just get into airgun  world. Any info about practicing sites? the back yard is so narrow. no hunting, just target shooting is OK. I love those rabbits, squrriels and birds, they are so cute.

By the way, I am considering Gamo Magnum, 1300fps with lead pellets. I just learned that 1300fps is too high that too much air behind the flying pellet. 700-900fps is the sweet range. To slow down, may need some .22 pellets over 30grain?DeadDeadDead
Squirrel goes Vege

@Crosman Benjamin Ironhide .22 Nitro Piston Elite
@Umarex Surgemax .177 Gas Ram 1000fps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 2:31pm
I am considering Gamo Magnum as well, 1300fps with lead pellets. I just learned that 1300fps is too high that too much air behind the flying pellet. 700-900fps is the sweet range. To slow down, may need some .22 pellets over 30grain to be as accurate as whisper replay series?

By the way, is there any private site can accept payment for airgun target shooting. No hunting, but hunting site can be OK as well? I really love those cute rabbits and birds. They even don't spread any disease nor bite people like mice does.
Squirrel goes Vege

xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 3:07pm
Hi, the Gamo Magnum will only approach 1300fps with super light lead free pellets. With normal lead pellets 14 to 21 grain is fine. (Even the review linked from gamo's own website has 16gr pellets doing 803 fps). I would choose whatever pellet is the most accurate to use.
BTW, I think there are better made and better value choices than the gamo magnum available.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:29pm
Cute bunnies and birds, don't spread disease? Zoonotic diseases associated with rabbits include pasteurellosis, ringworm, mycobacteriosis, cryptosporidiosis and external parasites. Rabbits can transmit bacteria through bites and scratches.
Don't bite? Obviously you have never picked up a wild rabbit. It will bite you and use its feet to kick all the skin off your arm.
If ya not planning on hunting I wouldn't go anywhere near a gamo magnum.
For the money you'll spend on one, there are much better rifles to target shoot with.
Target shooters keep well low in the fps. 650fps would be fine.
Have less kick from the spring. Less noise too.
You'd want a better trigger than gamo for targets too.
I wouldn't use gamo pellets either. They don't have a good rep.
Having said all that there are good air rifles around for the amount your looking to spend.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 8:55pm
I agree with the wider team, Gamo Magnums are not for target shooting, they will wreck targets and need a very effective backstop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 10:05pm
Thanks mate. That is fake ads? Holy...
I have a Air Chief Stalker Junior with 4x20scope, how is that rifle doing?CryCryCry
Squirrel goes Vege

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic