Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laminate stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 8:44am
Yea nice, can't beat real wood. What type of wood is it?
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:50pm
Aged brown cedar. It's gotta be some of the best for figure or grain patterns, it is a hardwood, but being as dry as this is it's also very light. Smells great to work with to :)
Once it's made, and the action fitted, it should be slightly nose heavy, but with a hook that'll work great. Or the butt can be drilled/routered out and lead added to bring the balance point rearward.

And so it begins.......

NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 11:51pm
Back to the original post. Stock turned up yesterday, very shiny and smooth :)

A quick fit up, with some machining by nunga and it's all go, now to see if I get used to it quickly or return to the original stock for the worlds

NZAFTA President

Shaqa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:39pm
That cedar looks pretty nice grained wood.
As far as the laminate stock is concerned that looks nice as well, but I was advised against using laminated plywood as the successive layers are at 90 degree to each other and that exposes too much end grain.
I used a laminated pine beam when I made mine. I think yours has more contrast between layers though.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 6:23pm
The exposed end grain wasn't much of an issue once I started oiling and sanding, using a mirotone finishing oil which hardens followed by 500-600 grit w&d paper .
Knowing what that stuff works like and the fact is was getting lacquered left the material choices quite open .
The 90degree opposing grains also adds a heap of strength, not that I'm planning on bashing it around much :)

The cedar does have really nice grain, and has already broken 3 blades :) it's quite dense.....

What's your next one going to be shaqa?
NZAFTA President

Shaqa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 6:34pm
Probably look at carved wall hangings
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 10:26pm
Hows that next stock doing pink? I'm keen to see that.  I had a shoot with mine at 643 on sunday and it's good, really pleased with how it feels.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 11:05pm
Next stocks going slow, other things taking priority, but there has been progress, and here's a couple preview pics just for you :)

NZAFTA President

mmamonster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmamonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 8:23am
Nice work.
killing is as easy as breathing
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 10:43pm
Gee Brett, you'd think i'm trying to copy you but I am making a new stock for my 95 now.  I have a piece of Eucalyptus that I am using. I'm basically copying my 97 stock but will put an adjustable cheek piece like the 98.  I plan to use it for work now that my 97 is all FT'd out. The wood is hard as hell, nice and dense too which hopefully has a benefit. 

Edited by Pauly5 - 20 Jul 2014 at 10:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic