Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laminate stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:15pm
Slightly heavier than the original, but only by 5-600 grams.
Marine grade pine, and marine grade rimu alternated , with a total cost of $24 incl aliphatic resin to glue it all up :)
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 12:15am
got the inletting as close as I wanted to go with a router, so it was test fit time, gotta say, for a test fit to see how much i needed to sand it out, im pretty happy:)

2 more cuts to make, the recess for the breech loading area, and the recess for the cocking lever release, 10mins tops. First marked it out, then used the router to clear the bulk of it, followed by the dremel for the last tidy up.
A final depth check revealed I needed 3.8mm more cleared out through the inlet, so using the half round bit and with the plunge depth set, the router cleared out the last of the excess wood.
Sat the action back in, looking good, marked and drilled the front stock screw holes,countersunk them and checked for alignment. 
Still all good, phew, wouldnt want to be this far in and f%$k it up :)
Put the action back in again (i really enjoy this , half a mm at a time with the 120grit paper and recheck..... ) now its within 0.25 of a mm so im going to stop sanding , the main stock bolt will have plenty of pull to settle it down the last bit.
final test fit for the night, heres the pics.

now comes the easy bit, lots of sanding by hand, through various grades of paper, down to 320 grit, but once thats done itll get the colour put on, and the 2pot clear coat :)
more pics to follow after a few hours of sanding
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 8:50pm
while all the sanding is going on, ive also got to make its twin, with an FWB sport 124 mounted inside it for a wellington shooter. This will be used in their PRO650 class, which is limited in scope power, and build cost (sometimes its who you know :) )
heres todays hour and 1/2, the bulk of the inletting.

altogether at the start, beautiful rifle , sub 12ft/lbs and very accurate with little recoil

Action out

Inletting and trigger hole marked

Plunge Router makes inletting easy and quick

More people should have a go at this, its alot easier than youd think, as long as you actually think about it first. Easy to take wood away , not so easy to put it back :)

NZAFTA President

SteveH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:33pm
They are looking pretty awesome, now if I just had all the tools and a garage to work in...
HARC President 2014/5

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:12pm
Hi Steve
Tools aren't hat to come by, and the first few I did (was living somewhere else) I did sitting in the deck with a couple beers every night.
It was almost easier doing that as there was no garage to clean up :)
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:57pm
I had a go making a stock and I hung old sheets from the garage roof around me when routering and sanding. Wink 
It meant I was able to collect the maximum amount of wood dust in every orifice left open. 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:23pm
Mixed up some whitewash and dark stain last night, had the colour looking pretty spot on in the tin..... But when it touched the wood it turned into the foulest most insipid looking colour I've ever seen - definitely unacceptable.

Slight change of plan in the colour dept, and it's now coated in a Mediterranean walnut stain, that has been wiped and rubbed back to an almost dirty finish. Getting the stain on and off quick, several times, will help to bring the darker colours up, and leave the laminate lines visible, more so once the lacquer is applied.

Now for a trip up to drury to see the father-in-law and do the 2pot clear

Edited by (pink)MIST - 06 May 2014 at 1:14pm
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:28pm
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 11:49pm
going to put a few coats of a 10% gloss lacquer on tomorrow, hoping to give it a satin/semi gloss appearance, will post pics once its dried up and had a polish.
Fingers crossed I like the look, otherwise Ive got some more sanding to look forward to :)

Regardless I'll fit the action in and get some glamour shots, and weather permitting I'll knock some targets with it as well, and get a feel for any changes that need to happen. Fingers crossed on that as well, with all the trialling I did along the way I'm hoping the shape, weight and balance should be pretty much spot on.
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 10:38pm
Well the undercoat went on on thursday, and the 10% was done today, looked stunning when it was wet, maybe a bit more gloss wouldve been nice..... now Im just waiting till its hardened and i'll give it a polish to see whats hiding  :) will post pics of that after its polished and has the action installed (early next week)
Till then I have to find ways to keep myself from doing that too early, so ive been back on the "twin" stock for the FWB.
further shaping to the rear and now it has most of what will be a rollover comb :)
(and I have two holdens to clean again!)
NZAFTA President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic