Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laminate stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laminate stock
    Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 12:01am
Okay, got bored again, which is easy for me as I dont like to sit still :)
Had a google search for custom laminate tx stocks, and found a few, but one stood out and just said "make me"
Going to run through this step by step, as I get further through it, so to start it off heres what i found and am going to make - altered slightly to suit needs I thought needed changing.

First step was easy, get a whole lot of ply, and laminate it together.
I used aliphatic resin to glue it all up, and had it sitting under 2 1/2 ton of pressure for 8 hours.
Then I marked out a template to the shape and size i wanted, marked the laminated ply (I got two stocks marked out off a 300x850 slab) and rough cut it out on a bandsaw
you can see the cardboard template just behind the two stock blanks

Starting with a 30mm drill through the thumbhole area, then used a plane to rough shape the comb and butt of the stock, and a 80grit flap wheel to start shaping the thumbhole/grip area.
This small bit of work took just over 2 hours, and thats only one side. This can be done faster using an anglegrinder with sanding discs, but I feel theres more control this way. I'll use an anglegrinder later on.

NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 12:43am
Another couple hours in the garage, with a half round file, some drum sanders, a plane, and the flap wheel.
Have worked the grip, thumbhole and butt a bit more, giving better shape to it all, and have started the RH side finger grooves.
Started marking the trigger area with the spade bit in the drill, this will help to keep the trigger hole straighter and a more true shape, and will also help when putting bodyline down each side providing a reference point.
The lines are starting to show up better now, so also trying to make sure they go where I want them as well :)

Also got this shot, using the lighting to show off the shape better. You can see where the trigger will be, and where the body line will shape to.
The Body line will be cut using a router and fence, with the top following the top of the stock, and the bottom following the shape of the bottom of the stock.

NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:20am
3 more hours tonight, really taking shape at a good pace now. Will do pics tomorrow, but have started on the lh side of the butt now, rh side is ready to be sanded in various grades of paper, but will leave that until both sides are ready.
At this rate I'll be inletting it by next weekend!
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:14pm
last night saw the trigger hole get cut through, the tx blade should sit about 1-1.5mm off the base of the now to be trigger guard

with the trigger hole cut, i could focus on getting the right amount of room in front of the grip for a natural hold, so a bit of time was spent in that area with 80-150 grit paper
Id already marked a centreline down the top of the stock, which i use to help shape the lh side of the butt to bring my eye into alignment with the centreof the bore,all things going to plan that should be the line the scope sits on, so half the work of aligning the scope to the eye is done.

a fair bit of time spent roughing this into shape using a block plane, anda half round rasp.
once it was roughed into this shape, i fitted a flap wheel to the drill, and gradually worked it more to what i wanted,including the bottom of the fore-end, which saw the use of the plane, half round rasp,some drum sanding attatchments, and finally rough sanding with 80grit.
I,ll leave this now for a day or so, in a cabinet with a dehumidifier going, just  to make sure its not getting moisture in the timber

NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 11:08pm
Ok bit of an update on this, getting minimal time this week but still making forward progress.
Started on the inletting, most people building a stock do this first as it's a lot easier, I do it closer to finished so I can line the action up where I want it (one of the issues with a generic stock for me is to line the action and scope up to me, I've got to hold it off square, uncomfortable by the slightest amount, so why not angle the action in the stock to suit myself?)
About 2 hours into it, and about 80% done.
Note to anyone doing this is (a) take your time setting up router with the guide, work on the opposite side to where the guide is as this stops the router "running off" out the side if your stock.
And note (b) either remove or cover anything in the garage/work area you don't want covered in dust and shavings :)
Tomorrow's job will be cleaning the 2 Holden's :)

Will get progress pics up tomorrow
NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 8:24am
Originally posted by (pink)MIST (pink)MIST wrote:

And note (b) either remove or cover anything in the garage/work area you don't want covered in dust and shavings :)
Tomorrow's job will be cleaning the 2 Holden's :)

they are only Holden's mate dont worry! ops thats right you are picking me up on Sunday... i ment yea clean them bro nice cars!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 12:51pm
cleaned the cars ,you better not get mud in or on them :)

heres some pics from inletting the stock

Transfered the measurement across from the tx, and marked the lines.
Started in the midlle, doing the deepest cuts first and working my way outwards. 
First cuts are done with a straight blade cutter in a plunge router, taking about 3-5mm in depth each pass.

Next lot of cuts was done with a 15mm round cutter,this helps to get the cylindrical shape for the action to bed against.

back to the straight blade,to cut down for the trigger well

and to cut the underside of the forend for the underlever cocking arm to move through

Thats inletting made to look easy :)
Whole lot (incl inletting) has taken approx 6hours so far,now i'll get in there with 320grit paper and make it look nice, theres another 2 hours easy

Edited by (pink)MIST - 28 Apr 2014 at 2:40pm
NZAFTA President

mmamonster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmamonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 9:38am
Nice work.
killing is as easy as breathing
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:44pm
Thanks mmamonster, but it's gonna look better soon :)
Tonight has workshop time pencilled in, and it's about 1 1/2 hours away from the first test fit :)

Once test fitting starts it's generally inside a week till it's all together finally, so fingers crossed tonight goes well :)
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:14pm
Just had a good look at the thread, and that looks great! I must admit my first thoughts went out to the Holdens. Wink

How will the weight of the ply stock compare to the original stock? What grade of ply did you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic