Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kia Ora all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kia Ora all.
    Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 2:45pm
Thought I had better introduce myself before asking newbie questions (after a search).

Had a Game air pistol in my youth and found it very accurate and fun to use. However when the seals finally perished I was unable to buy new replacements, Youngs Airguns were unable to help. 
No internet then so after many phone calls I had to throw it away (very sad).

Now I am looking for an .22 air rifle (not PCP) for targets and rodents. Got quite keen on the "Gamo Swarm 10x Gen3i" but when doing research found a few cons that existed and the memories of the pistol seals.

So I have been looking at more traditional makes on the web and available in NZ. Getting more confused by the minute.
Angry The Diana 350 N-tech looks exiting as does the Weihrauch 80 SL. Both are at the limit of funds (allowing for a poss scope).
I am not asking for help (although thoughts on the matter from you more expert members would help)Wink.
Just introducing my self.
Regards
Bryan.

Edited by kruisn - 20 Apr 2024 at 2:47pm
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:28pm
Welcome to the forum Bryan.  It's a very useful tool for those of us interested in Airguns.

I'm no expert by any means, but knowing what I do now and if I were in your position again, I'd spend the extra to buy a decent quality brand.

You can't go wrong with a Weihrauch or air Arms and I do like my Cometa Fenix 400.

From my personal experience (meaning I bought one, hated it and sold it) I wouldn't buy another Norica, Stoega, Benjamin or Air Chief.  That leaves a few others such Diana, BSA, Hatsan, Umarex, Beeman  and Crosman that I have no experience with.  It's also possible the more expensive of the Benjamin range may be OK.

I'm sure that there are plenty of members with far more experience than me who will chirp in and help narrow the field down for you.

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 20 Apr 2024 at 3:34pm
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
kruisn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:34pm
Hi KiwiTR6, (Triumph TR6?)
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Will take it on board.
Cheers.
Bryan.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by kruisn kruisn wrote:

Hi KiwiTR6, (Triumph TR6?)
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Will take it on board.
Cheers.
Bryan.

Yes that's correct, sold it last weekend to another guy with his name spelt exactly the same as yours. I can now move around my shed (and indoor shooting range) without having to worry about damaging the paintwork....
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 4:59pm
Greetings.
My honest opion is, if your going to shoot targets out past 25-30m,possibly hares rabbits etc, spend the extra.
You need the quality to get past that in a springer(in my view)
If your shooting 20m-30m target and rodents birds close range, there are a few cheaper guns that will do the job.
I swear by crossman 1322 for birds, target shooting to 30m (it gets dodgy after that)
Longer barrel, stock, steel breach, new bolt plus gun 500ish.
But in general it's worth the extra in my view.
Vaughans in upper hut is the nz gamo distribution,if your still looking for seals.
Great ppl to deal with in my experiance.
kruisn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 5:32pm
Hi Kruzaroad,

Great advice, I have been reading your very knowledgable posts.
Probably won't bother the Gamo distributors as I did get rid of the pistol some 20 years ago.
Seems that as in most areas you get what you pay for.
Really enjoy your gun reviews.
Cheers.Thumbs Up
Bryan.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 5:36pm
Dude I'm in no way more than a newbie to the air gun world.
There are guys on here with a wealth of knowledge and skills.
Great to have you on board. Will be keen to see what you end up with and how you find it to shoot.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 5:51pm
Welcome, look forward to regular updates.

Yes there is so much information that it will get confusing.
My advice: define the usage and take your time, read the forum reviews.
The British do great stuff with sub 12 ft/lbs so it is not all about power.
Quality second hand units would be my choice.

Most important: trigger, trigger and the trigger.

Gamo: from my posts, you will see I own many, but will never recommend the magnum units.
Multi-Shot units, I struggle to see the benefit, air guns are meant to be simple and easy to maintain.
Gamo make some mid-power rifles where the trigger is not as stressed so remains usable.

Walking about for pest control then consider weight.
Scopes - go for lifetime warranties.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 6:43pm
Welcome to the forum. I reckon that many of today’s springers are pretty good and will outshoot most of their owners.
No matter your choice you are bound to end up with something that meets your needs.
My other observation is that the top of the range springers like Air Arms and Weihrauch have spare parts readily available. However the guns do cost more and it might well be better buy then throw away the cheaper units when they fail in a few years and buy another. That way if technology changes or improves you are keeping up with the latest guns.

Edited by Declan - 20 Apr 2024 at 6:52pm
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 7:33pm
Welcome Kruisn,

You do know you are asking one of "those" questions right, like how long is a piece of string....
For my 2 cents worth, if you can afford a Weihrauch, get it.
End of story.
LOL
I could write two pages on why u should get a Weihrauch, or an AirArms, but the short version is if you have taken the time to reach out to an air gun forum you are obviously serious about getting an air rifle, so get yourself a quality rifle and just be a happy air gunner...
Life's too short for cheep crap Wink

Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic