Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Let’s talk about Groups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let’s talk about Groups
    Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 5:25pm
I hear about people shooting pellet on pellet over some longish distances. And shooting a pcp I believe marksmen can achieve that sort of accuracy.
Me? Well there’s no way I can achieve that degree of accuracy shooting a springer.
Today I shot over 50m in a 10kmh left to right variable breeze. I used my FWB Sport using .177 JSB Express pellets with a 3” target.
I’ve attached a couple of photos of my day’s end 7 shot group.
For me that’s about as good as I can achieve outdoors over that sort of distance. But I’m sure others could do a lot better. Cheers. Declan

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:45pm
Looking at that spread first thing i would looking at is pellets. (assuming you have your hold sorted and rifle us accurate.)
Thats the sort of spread that is, looks like Flyers and not pulled shots.
How accurate is it at 20-30m?
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:53pm
The pellets are unsorted straight out of the can. Good tip. Thanks.
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 7:00am
Hi Declan,

Assuming you're using the Artillery Hold on a rest, using Follow Thro', etc.. and assuming you've determined that that pellet is the best for your barrel (?), then I'd say a variable wind of that strength at 55yds is the main culprit because:
  • That pellet is light (7.8gr)
  • A new FWB .177 rifle has an MV of about 850fps
How does the FWB perform on a windless day at that range usually?

For comparison, my Weihrauch HW95 .177 breakbarrel - using 8.4gr AA Diabolo Field at 920fps - would only just improve on your group with that sort of wind at 55yds. On a still day, a 5-shot group would usually be within 20-23 mm at 55yds.

Hope that makes sense?

Have you tried different Head sizes too? I believe your pellet is mainly 4.50mm? You might like to review the following article?:

Let us know how you get along with your trials - thanks. Smile
Maybe a slightly heavier pellet would perform better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Declan Declan wrote:

I hear about people shooting pellet on pellet over some longish distances. And shooting a pcp I believe marksmen can achieve that sort of accuracy.
Me? Well there’s no way I can achieve that degree of accuracy shooting a springer.
Today I shot over 50m in a 10kmh left to right variable breeze. I used my FWB Sport using .177 JSB Express pellets with a 3” target.
I’ve attached a couple of photos of my day’s end 7 shot group.
For me that’s about as good as I can achieve outdoors over that sort of distance. But I’m sure others could do a lot better. Cheers. Declan

Love to see some pics of the rifle too - ive not had a fwb sport but definitely on "the list"
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 8:06pm
We use two standard club targets for inside and outdoors:
5 diagram 80mm roundels and 10 diagram 50mm roundels and both have a 6mm bull.
We normally shoot 20 shots a card 

Pictured is my best target card from a 50 metre club shoot early this month.
My worst later in the day was 68mm OD however I was pleased they were all scoring shots.

Rifle: .22 Sig Sauer ASP20 break barrel, SportsMatch Mount, Zero Tech Scope, JSB Exact 14.35 grain.

This ASP20 rifle is under the forums reviews where Kruza sent me back to do better some time ago so I did. The rifle is standard from the factory with several thousand pellets fired.

I am often the only springer shooter and thoroughly enjoy the challenge up against our very capable PCP users who will regularly shoot 12.5mm OD or less all inside the 8 ring. On this day the best individual diagram score was 39/40 so I have plenty to aspire to.

4 shot group 19.6mm OD.
Conditions were near perfect.
Position: bench rest
Scope magnification x18
Rifle gas piston, 19.79 ft/lb
Distance 50 metres
First diagram of the day.
Overall Target diameter 80mm

Edited by mercs - 15 Apr 2024 at 8:58pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 12:28pm
And I have no dought you'll be posting better than that at some stage.
Nice shooting.
Should really get the sig out again. I haven't got the new rifle set up for night shooting. They are a really nice shooting gun.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:38am
Declan - 50m in some wind with a springer…. I don’t think that’s too bad at all 👍🏻

Mercs - where do u get to shoot 50m outdoors over benches?

Edited by RangerPete - 17 Apr 2024 at 9:40am
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:35am
4 groups 10m. (not on bags)
All 1.03grams. 4 differnt head sizes.
The left target holes outside target from previous testing.
Right hand target higher hole is where pencil went through putting dot between head size. This head size I will reshoot as I've had much better results and arnt sure why it went like this. Hope the gun hasn't settled and decided it prefures 5.52mm.
But one size did do better than rest.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:32am
So taking the left hand target. Measuring the distance of the pellet to the far right, from the main group and expanding that out over distance.
(remembering that I'm firing from the same place so I'm working with angle)
@40m=1.6cm off center
50m=2cm
60m=2.4cm
70m=2.8cm that's if I fire dead on target,on a windless day.
The pellet to left of target is same distance approx and would be about same to left over distance.
That is to much of spread for me (espially if I'm shooting from standing position.) as the whole group is pretty wide. That head size is out. I have more accurate results from other head sizes.
Its enough to make a kill shot a wounding shot or a miss.
We don't have the impact power to have the shock of impact like a powder burner.
This is why I weigh and size pellet heads. It tightens groups and gives me a little leeway for movement. Also a noticable drop in Flyers.

Edited by kruzaroad - 19 Apr 2024 at 11:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic