Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY pellet trap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 9:00am
Anyone tried the STUD mags? 
https://www.dlhdev.com/
He reckons the FX mags damage slugs / pellets causing accuracy issues and these mags are the solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_U-133bMTg&t=632s
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:20pm
Don't know anything about the fx but my gamo was damaging pellets off its mag system.
It would seem to me that any system that requires a pellet to be pushed through one chamber to another with no way correcting a slightly off line pellet, weather it be it was undersized, or oversized, it runs the risk of damaging a pellet.
There is also the problem of the probe possibly not fitting a pellet as well as it should (no one seems to make pellet specific probes) (I'll have one for hades and one for AA field in 22 Pauly šŸ˜) and causing a pellet to move from the mag to barrel.Espially if there is a big lead in to the rifling.
Even in single shot with the 1322 I have times when the pellet starts grab as I push it with the bolt. To correct this I point the gun down and correct with my finger, where upon it tends to fall happily all the way into the barrel.
Air rifle mags don't load a whole cartridge and as such don't have a long brass cylinder to help with alignment. Any misalignment is going to directly affect the projectile.
Though this can be reduced with tight tolerance on parts, if your not sorting pellets you still run into the issue of missized pellets.
I'm assuming a slug would receive damage along the sloped edge and nose if this were to happen.
This is my view and I have never done any testing to back this up.
I think any mag has the potential to damage a pellet and the alignment of the system and the amount of play between the mag and rifling engagement is going to be a big factor in this.
As I said, this is speculation on my behalf and is not backed up by any data I have to hand.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:27pm
As a side note, revolvers, which is the closest to the mags used in this example do not preload the bullet into the barrel. All alignment is done in the cylinder with the bullet being left to jump the gap between the cylinder and barrel. It is ready lined up before a huge force creates the jump.

Edited by kruzaroad - 31 Jan 2024 at 12:28pm
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

Great job there. I'm guessing the hits around the edge are from testing the $100 gun?Big smile

The WC looks great. I got a couple of printed mags from Orion Iguana for mine, and they are really good mags if you are ever after more.

Hi Paul.

Yes, damage from the challenge gun and a few others during initial scope alignment.  I really should be doing that outdoors with a big backing board but that's too much hassle.

I also have a couple of the Orion Iguana mags in bright green so there's no mistaking which gun they're for!  Very similar to the STUD mag and the same price.
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 6:12am
Iā€™ve only ever owned one revolver, a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull.
Once the bullet left the cylinder it crossed a tiny gap (less the a mill) and entered a cone shaped area called the ā€œforcing coneā€ the mouth of which was slightly bigger then the bore, and just incase the cylinder hadnā€™t locked up and aligned correctly, it ā€œforcedā€ the bullet into alignment with the barrel as it passed through. It was only about 5mm long before the lands and grooves started but it seemed to work.
From the many hundereds of reloads I put through that revolver, (shooting a 375gr lump of lead, from a hand gun!!!) I canā€™t recall any flyers, it must have worked.
I wonder if air rifle manufacturers have ever tried a design like that. All it would require is a slightly longer pellet probe to push through the additional 5mm, and a slightly longer stroke of the cocking/loading action.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 7:35am
In theory, if the pellet probe was a similar size to the pellet, it would  "hold back" the force of the spring loaded revolving mag from closing on the skirt of the pellet.

Most mags seem to be spring loaded because it is easier than making a mechanism in the breech to revolve a mag. The earlier Wildcats used this type of system.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 7:54am
That's Interesting. I'd never thought much about it, but makes scence.
A spring loaded mag would start it's rotation as soon as the the pellet left the mag.
If the probe remains in the mag during the shot it would be holding the spring pressure of the mag against the probe.
Do the mags have an lock that system that holds the mag in place till the bolt is retracted? Wether that be a pin or some system.
Surely they must or logic would say that over time that wear would occur from the bolt being drawn back through the mag while it was excerting pressure on it.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 1:15pm
My Evanix AR6 has a rotary mag just like a revolver.  Pressurised air pushes the pellet out of the mag and through the barrel with some minor leakage from each face of the mag where it fits into the breach.  The mag rotates to the next chamber when the hammer is cocked (if all works as it should!).

Part #3 in the parts diagram below.

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 8:24pm
What's your view of it.
Do pellets ever jam?
Do think you lose much power from the air leakage.
Just watched a Video on one. Should do a review looks like an interesting set up.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 1:20pm
It's  a pretty cool gun but now relegated to a future project as it was faulty when I bought it off Gun City.  It's got plenty of power (reputedly 60ftlb) but the mag stopped rotating soon after I got it.  The push lever was well worn and I've played around with it but still needs more work.  It's also started leaking air between the cylinder and the breach as my makeshift seal hasn't worked so it blows air back into your eye LOL
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic