Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY pellet trap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My DIY pellet trap
    Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 8:55pm
Thought I should post some basic details of my pellet trap after checking its condition following some alignment shots with my new Wildcat .25 cal tonight.

It's based on the standard duct sealant design you'll find on Youtube with a few differences. 

The sides are sawn pine with 12mm ply front and rear panels.  Inside the rear panel is some 3mm alloy checker plate (as a backstop) with strips of duct seal about 25-30mm thick pressed onto it.
On the front of that I fastened with small nails into the timber sides (staples just bent over) thin Kevlar fabric that I'd purchased from AliExpress, folded into about 10 layers and sewn together with the wife's sewing machine.

To hold the targets I use some scrap Coreflute cut to size and small blobs of Blutack.

The Kevlar is pretty mangled now but even though it's mono-directional it still stops most pellets dead at the 10m range I use it 99% of the time.  I thought they would eventually make their way through the mangled fibres into the sealant and I'm sure many have, but most seem to either fall back or get hung up.  Ive attached some photos of the JSB Heavies I used tonight, the really mangled one was caught in the Kevlar fibres and the other two were one on top of the other deep in the sealant.

Anyway, it works better than I expected so I thought it might be of interest.  If anyone wants a full build guide let me know -  I'm happy to add a more detailed description to this post.

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 29 Jan 2024 at 8:55pm
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 9:41pm
Nice work. I have a pellet trap that’s filled with shredded tyre.
Slide in 5mm MDF as a back board to mount the target, then about 200mm deep of tyre at the back.
Only problem is it’s hefty and weighs about 10kg..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 1:40am
Interesting pellet trap Kiwi, but what I’d really like to see is pics of ur ew Wildcat .25!!!!
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 6:15am
That's a great design.
If your not getting ricochet at 10m definitely doing it's job well.
Put a more detailed build up. Be good to see and potentially just what someone visiting the site may be looking for as a DIY pellet trap.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 8:22am
Nice work. What are the clips you’ve used to hold the paper target in place please?
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Declan Declan wrote:

Nice work. What are the clips you’ve used to hold the paper target in place please?

I may be wrong but they look line mouse traps??
Great idea if they are!
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Declan Declan wrote:

The metalwork from a couple of cheap mouse traps repurposed!  When I get around to filling all of the collateral pellet damage and repainting the front panel I'll relocate one of them to the top center position and remove the second - two is overkill :)  I used these as they were cheap and I figured they would be less likely to cause ricochet issues than say a pressed steel paper clamp.

The Coreflute sits in a slotted piece of timber at the base.
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by RangerPete RangerPete wrote:

Interesting pellet trap Kiwi, but what I’d really like to see is pics of ur ew Wildcat .25!!!!

Just for you Pete!

Currently fitted with a DonnyFL suppressor and my Vixen 4-16x44 scope.  I have a Pard DS35 for it as well but I'll start with the standard optics.

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:59am
Jealous
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 7:48am
Great job there. I'm guessing the hits around the edge are from testing the $100 gun?Big smile

The WC looks great. I got a couple of printed mags from Orion Iguana for mine, and they are really good mags if you are ever after more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic