Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pellet testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2023 at 11:06pm
https://youtu.be/Ibc6STL52wo?si=CQW51nb4ecqZSRvh

Using plumbers putty for pellet trap.
Good trap too. Could suit those into testing for expansion.

Edited by kruzaroad - 26 Dec 2023 at 11:14pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 1:30pm
Jsb/cometa exact heavy 10.34gr
20m
Sig .177
Muzzle energy and stuff on AA test. Same weight pellet.
Stuff on pellet head bone it carried into gel.
Stopped 6 layers in.
Two shots fired, one just nicked bone and passed all way through gel.2nd hit square on and shattered it. Chicken thigh bone.
Try 80m when wind and heat have died down.

Edited by kruzaroad - 24 Jan 2024 at 3:35pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 3:16pm
Had a crack at 80m but wind is just too temperamental.
Had a thigh bone on top of breast bone, pellets kept hitting to side of thigh bone try again later if wind dies down.
Jsb/cometa exact heavy 10.34gr
80m.
Sig. 177
data per AA test.
Bone it went through is really thin like two playing cards thick.
Deformation not worth mentioning.
2 pellets caught in 4th layer one in 5th.
20m for comparison.
The grooves are filling out nicely with the skirt and the lands are just marking the heads so that's all good.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 12:06am
Testing is always very interesting.
I recon we could have a dedicated pellet testing section on the forum, under reviews - pellet testing.
There should be a standard info format at the start of each review that in includes:
Airgun make, model
Caliber
Pellet make
Model
Weight
Muzzel velocity
Distance to target
Target medium.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 12:56am
Kruza wrote:
Have been toying with idea of hollowing out an alloy and replacing with lead. I have a sneaking suspicion that the lead will turn into a shower of fragments as it punches through the alloy on contact with the target.

I didn’t quite follow your thinking, are u talking about drilling out the front (making a hollow point, which is a bit of an oxymoron), or drilling out from the back into the skirt?

With my experience from powder burning bullets that use solids made from monolothic brass, copper, and even aluminum, and different construction techniques using harder metals combined with lead, u can either use the harder metal for controlling the expansion of the lead, or u can use the lead to add weight to the alloy for penetration.

If you drill out the front and make an alloy pellet into a hollow point, then fill the hollow point with lead, you will effectively have made a soft nose pellet.
When fired one of two things will happen: depending on the thickness of the walls of the alloy “cup” holding the lead, they could open up, deform, and give controlled expansion of the lead as the pellet penetrates and dumps its energy into the target, (this would be perfect pellet performance), OR, the lead and the alloy will separate on impact, the lump of lead will penetrate the target and the lighter alloy pellet will penetrate less (or not at all).

If you drill out the back of the pellet and fill it with lead, you have created a heavy alloy pellet, effectively a “solid”.
The alloy is very hard (but not brittle) and will not deform when it hits hard bone, and with the weight of the lead pushing it, it should penetrate like a MoFo!
I dont think the lead will smash through the head of the alloy pellet, u can’t use a soft metal to break through a harder metal, I think it will all hold together and just keep penetrating.

My 2 cents worth.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 1:23am
There's a differance in density in the metal.
Drilling from behind and thinnind the walls, including the front wall.
When the front wall hits and it encounters resistance and wants to stop and the mass of heavier metal behind it keeps pushing into it. It wouldn't be bonded to the alloy.
I've used mercury in lead pellets the same way with a wax seal and its pretty dam impressive. But that is a heavy liquade metal and a soft metal skin. Accuracy wasn't something I tested but I imaging it would be sad over distance.
You'll also see in some videos fmj leaving there jackets behind in mediums but the lead core continues. Gun and bullet tests reviews.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 11:35am
Well just sorted through the first ever tin of cometa exact jumbo. .22, 1.030grams(15.90 grains)
Pretty happy with first tin.
3 shot.
4 rejected on skirt damage.
4@1.06grams
19@1.05grams
15@1.01grams
So that leaves 200 approx, either .01gram above or below stated weight.
Roughly 60 odd each in 1.02/1.03 grams
80ish in 1.04 grams.
Thats probly the most even weight distribution around the pellet weight I've had.
Be interesting to see next tin and head size.
Tidy well cast pellets as well.

Edited by kruzaroad - 06 Apr 2024 at 11:37am
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 1:58pm
Other tin had a few more 1.01 and 1.05grm 2 damaged.
Rest all in that .02 to .04 with a lot falling on .03.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 10:27am
Well I'm totally impressed.
Those are the 2 most constant weight and head size I've ever seen in tins.
Working off 1.03grms as stated pellet weight.
Approx 100 of 500 fell into the 1.01grm and 1.05/1.06grm weight, head size still unsorted.
Of the the 400 approx left,they all fell into 1.02-1.04grm.
Of that 40 odd fell into the 5.51 and 5.54mm head size.
Rest were 5.52mm and 5.53mm. The later having considerably more.
Clean tins half a dozen damaged.
If the gun likes these I'll be stocking up on this batch number if I can.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:11am
Great when you find a good pellet.

I remember when I was in the UK at the FT worlds, there were guys there buying trays of tins of pellets.
The pellet suppliers would send them a couple different batches, then if they liked them they would buy up large, like 10,000 pellets worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic