Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pellet testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 7:17am
I'll get another 5 tins if he has the same run number. Waiting to hear.
I'd be quite happy to have a bigger stash of sorted hunting pellets.
400/500 be nice.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 4:37pm
Turns out I got 6 tins.
He has a carton and a half left.
How much is in a carton?
Recons went to warehouse to have a look nothing close to the numbers I have him. Then got to the back and there they were.
So Im thinking they grabed box or 2 from a differnt run/dye to fill the order.
Dye 2.
If you use them and want the batch number and place pm me.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 2:05pm
Weighed 1000,4 rejected for skirt damage.
As scales only do to .00 allowing .005 either side of weight.
95% approx fell into the 1.02,1.03,1.04 grms.
1.04 definitely having more than 1.03grms but not by much. 1.02grams less than that but all close, sort of 385,290,225
Of the 5% left 8 were 1.06grams
40% 1.01gram and 60% 1.05grams.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:54am
So thought I'd throw up a visual instead of numbers.
1500 pellets worth. Up to at least a dozen damaged (mostly due a slight misshap while sorting.)
Pellet weights of tins went from 1.01grm to 1.06grm.
The 1.01grm I haven't sorted as need another container, also starting to get lighter than I want.
1.06grm goes left to right 5.51,5.52,5.53mm head size.
The pellet box is from top to bottom is 1.05grm,1.04,1.03,1.02grm.
Left to right, head size 5.50mm,5.51,5.52,5.53,5.54,. This is the full range of head sizes in tins. (1.01grm not sized yet)

If you ever wondered why you get Flyers!
Over all I'm really happy with this. I've had bigger spreads and head sizes out of a single can before.
Take note AA and hades not to even start on h&n.
I'm after 5.53mm head size so stoked so many threw over 5.52mm though I'm hopeful the 5.52mm/5.54mm will be as acurate as well.
I've already determined that the weihrauch seems to like the larger head sizes to the smaller.
G34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 12:45pm
I have to congratulate you on the amount of effort you put into this sorting. I have to ask though, is it worth it in a hunting situation where minute of rabbit head is what's required?
I can understand, maybe, the value of it for 50m benchrest.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 1:09pm
Yes it is.
A flyer doesn't worry about minute of rabbit head.
Deviations amplify over distance.
I'll shoot out to 70m once I get better take that out to 80m.
There's a photo in "you got to be out there to see" , of a rabbit I shot with the tx200. It also shows the pellet from the gamo I had which I removed from it's back leg. I rember the shot with gamo.
It was a clean well placed head shot.
I thought I had missed it as it ran off.
I can tell you now that the lighter weight pellets and differnt head sizes will affect poi. Further you get from your bore size the worse it gets for head size. Weight and drop is pretty self explanatory.
Finally it's a living being, why wouldn't I take all nessary steps to minimise the risk of wounding a animal and putting food in the bag.
Target shooting pellet prep is ideal for hunting.
One shot kills is what I strive for.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:29am
U sure have been busy!
I hope those little yellow plastic dividers are glued down to the bottom of that black container!
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:52am
They are not! I've already had one mishap with them, so put some cardboard inside of the joints. Want them movable till I sort out what head sizes and weights do what. Then I'll reorganise the partitions, line the bottom and glue them in.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 8:43am
Maybe I should be looking at skirts as previous asked.
Found an artical while looking for head sizer.
Quote:
The pellet head need only lightly touch the lands, so that the pellet doesn’t tip back and forth on the way down the bore, but the pellet’s skirt must cut into the rifling to effect an air seal.

In springers, the skirt has a very important second function, as James has pointed out. It interacts with the chamfer at the breech end of the barrel. Together with the pellet's weight, this determines the point in the piston’s travel, at which the pellet begins to move. If the skirt is too small, the pellet takes off too soon; power is lost and there is a minor “slam fire” effect on the piston. If the skirt is too big, the pellet will linger too long and the piston will bounce, again wasting velocity and making more felt recoil.

There is a lot of variety out there both in pellet skirt size (I’ve measured anything from .180” on Crosman ammo to almost .190” on some traditional RWS designs), and the breech chamfer detail (many guns today have a short, sharp-edged angled cut, some have a more carefully designed longer taper, some are in between).

IMHO experimenting with different ammo to match up skirt size vs. breech fit, is a really important part of shooting springers. It can have a huge effect on accuracy, consistent velocity, and firing behavior. It’s long been curious to me that pellet weight and head size seem to get the lion’s share of discussion, while this aspect is rather ignored.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:09am
Good observations.

A point I learnt was that when fired, the air pressure from a springers piston builds behind the pellet until the pressure is enough to propel the pellet and parachuting (expanding) the skirt. So if there is a gap around the skirt, pressure will bypass the skirt.
In a pcp, the pressure arrives instantly, parachuting the skirt against the rifling straight away. So a good fitting pellet in a springer is vital.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic