Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pellet testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pellet testing
    Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 3:38pm
Ran through 3 types pellets at lower  volicity.
 Set up: gun 1322. 10 pumps. 10m.
 Target: 4 layers of gel shoe insole, wrapped in masking tape. 
 Pellets. 2 each shot into gel.
 Left: h&n field target trophy 
 Middle: gamo red fire. (shot 2, don't know where second went.)
Right jsb hades.

Pellets in pic retrieve from gel.
 None penetrated all 4 layers. Missing gamo redfire also never made it through tape at back.
 Data:
 Field target trophy :
 14.66gr
  466fps 
  7.07ft.lb (9.59 joules)
 One had turned 180° in gel
 Gamo redfire : 
 15.42gr 
 451fps
 6.97ft.lb (9.45 joules)
 Jsb hades :
 14.66gr 
 451fps 
 7.16ft.lb ( 9.71 joules)
 I'll add more as I do them over time. 
 Anyone else who wants to add please do. 

Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 8:52am
Great report. I really like your idea of using gel shoe inserts for ballistic gel. Good one!

Edited by Declan - 14 Dec 2023 at 8:53am
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 9:19am
That was inspired geniuses with the gel, created by the fact after cutting it up for lining the aircheif stock, I relised I hadn't taken the cocking arm into account and it wouldn't fit as I thought. So about then the gel shoe liner target came into existence. I seriously didn't think it would work that well.
 As you get 2 in box might have to make a thicker one to try with rifle. 
 Appwntly the stuff you can get to make those soft body fishing lures is great. Haven't been able to find any in nz yet. Can be got from USA. 
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 4:48pm
 sig asp 20.  .177
 Distance 20m / 21.87yards.
Air arms deablo field heavy: 10.3 gr /. 670grm
Velocity :899fps / 274mps
 Muzzle energy: 18.49 ft.lb/ 25.07 joules
Retained volicity @ target:
 887.30fps / 270.45mps
 Energy at target:
18.01 ft.lb / 24.42 joules 
 4 layers gel innersoles taped to 2 litre bottle of water. 

So three shots were fired. 
 First 2 through the gel and into the milk bottle. Both passed strait through everything. 
 Third shot was through milk bottle and into the gel. It caught between the first and second layer, with its skirt in first and head in second layer. 
 The skirt was deformed, everything else was great. 
 By then milk bottle was draining out and left it at that. 

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 8:25pm
same set up as above.
 Made another 4 layer gel pad taped one either side of milk bottle full of water,10m, passed strait through. 
 Made a 8 layer gel target. 124 grams, 50.40mm thick.
 37m just sitting on a fence post, was still passing strait through.. Gel was bouncing a foot back but not with any force. 
 So got a chicken thigh bone taped it horizontal in center of gel block, thinking it would deflect up or down.

Target: 15m / 16.4yards
 Velocity at target: 890. 27fps /  271.35 m/s
 Energy at target: 18.13ft.lb / 24.58j
 Pellet stopped 6 layers in

Edited by kruzaroad - 15 Dec 2023 at 8:56am
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 1:18pm
did 80m with a chicken breast bone taped to gel . Which in turn was taped to 11mm thick pine skirting length. Blew thew skirting. 

2 shots passed strait threw, where the layers weren't full near the edges. 
 Anything labeled B is the pellet that hit bone .  Others caught in gel only. 

The other 4 of the gel pads were facing gel towards shooter. 

These pellets in my view are simply a hole punch. I've not seen any expansion results that impress me. 
 Doesn't impart any energy dumping in soft bone or tissue. 
 I still find it a good pellet in this gun. But would seem a bit harder mix of metal than I thought. 
 Got a tin of exact, wonder if they are softer. 

RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 10:20pm
I do t think the exact will be any softer then the AA.
I know JSB claim they use separate and different dies for the AA pellets, so they MIGHT be ever so slightly different head or skirt size, but I don’t believe JSB melt up different batches lead with different ratios of tin and Antiminny for different customers. I recon they use a standard recipe, melted in huge caldrons and make hundereds of tons of lead wire which is used for any and all pellets they produce.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 7:05am
or as they change dies for runs of differnt pellets brands , they just adjust the metal mixtures for the lead wire for that run.
 I cant see some one like fx or air arms developing a pellet/slug to expand or deform a certain way, then going to jbs who say, yep not a problem but you can't have that deformation as you have to use our mix of lead, even though we can mix it to your specs as we produce our lead wire.

Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 9:38am
You’re doing great work testing pellets. Keep it up.

Pellets and airguns are strange bedfellows. I’ve seen airguns that like one particular brand but when the batch changes they hate them. A good example is my FWB Sport. It absolutely hated JSB then this year I got a batch manufactured in 2022 and it just loves them.
My HW97 loved JSB dated 2018 but with the 2022 batch I couldn’t hit a barn door at 10 paces.
I know guys who swear by AA. More likely it’s just a particular batch their gun likes rather than the brand.

Edited by Declan - 22 Dec 2023 at 12:35pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 9:32am
well I had written a blurb with facts and figures, but got lost between changing screens. So f it cant be bothered rewriting.
 Basic out line. I think air rifles will like a type of pellet by a supplier more than others. Probly others of that weight and style. But my guns have a definite prefrance. (hence where facts and figures were)
 I'll keep testing slowly. Would really like to see other ppl doing it as well. 
 I'm not going to cover a lot, more the better data set we have. 
 CHICKEN BONES ARNT HARD TO GET! You'll find them at the end of every roast chicken dinner. 
 Don't have gel? Try a couple of milk bottles filled with water tapped together. But really I could do the help, and I'd like to see other results from differnt pellets at differnt fpe. 
 Have been toying with idea of hollowing out a alloy and replacing with lead. I have a sneaking suspicion that the lead will turn into a shower of fragments as it punches through the alloy on contact with the target. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic