Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with my scope....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with my scope....
    Posted: 03 May 2023 at 3:33pm
Hi all,

I'm having problems with my Hawke Vantage SF IR 4-16 x 50 scope. Thumbs Down
In summary:

It won’t hold zero - the groups loosen and creep right and up (usually)

When trying to re-adjust left and down I get the following results: 

o   Clicks Left sometimes work, sometimes nothing happens

o   Clicks Down sometimes work, sometimes nothing happens

o   Clicks for windage often affect elevation

o   Clicks for elevation often affect windage

This leaves me “chasing” the bullseye and when I do finally get it back on bull, the zero-ed groups end up moving again after a few more shots next day!

·         The Parallex adjustment SF knob is extremely stiff and has not loosened up after months of use

·         Over 75 yds, the focus is very poor and cannot be adjusted further.

Has anyone else experienced such problems with the Hawke Vantage models? I'd be keen to hear from you if you have.... thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 4:43pm
I would say the internal optics have come loose. this sometimes happens when you over adjust them to get zero or over adjust for left or right.  You can pull them apart and fix but they are air tight and as soon as you crack the seal you will run into problems later on because the lenses will probably fog up.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 8:21pm
I was just about to respond to cover the low hanging fruit and then I saw who the OP was and thought probably no point...

I did notice when using one of your rifles something wasn't right with the scope and I recall mentioning it. Was it the same one?

Has this scope ever worked properly for you?

Edited by FPM - 03 May 2023 at 8:23pm
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 8:34pm
Is it under warranty still?
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 9:06pm
I tried two 3-9x40 AO scopes in 2018 and they had a similar "creep" failure mode to yours.

I had registered for the Lifetime Warranty and when I expressed dissatisfaction I was promptly reimbursed.

I thought they were very clear, focused well and rather pleased with accuracy when new however they did not last long on my springers.

They were and are clearly advertised as airgun rated but in my opinion that would apply only to sub 12ft/lb, CO2 or PCP.

The more robust Airmax model was not readily available at the time and I know owners who have had great service from that model on airguns.

They have kept selling the Vantage so must be satisfied users out there.

cheers
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 7:26am
Thanks all for your feedback.... it's much appreciated. Smile

The dealer believes I might have over-tightened this particular sight - he may be right? But I was just seeing if others had experienced similar with this model, to see if there was a "bad batch" of Vantage scopes perhaps?

Seems not, so far...

Anyone out there with a good 2nd-hand springer-rated scope for sale?!  I'm looking for a Mildot reticule, preferably with x16 magnification and SF....

Thanks to you all.

Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 10:01am
Don't hawk have a lifetime warrenty for any scope after 2018
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 12:36pm
Hi Myson, I have a Nikko Stirling Nigheater 6-24x44 if that's of interest to you? Full mil dot reticle. Side focus. PM if interested and I can send you pics
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 1:06pm
Hawke are usually excellent. I’d send it back and ask them to try find out what the problem is.
Jawbfrog, I’m not sure if the night eater is springer rated?
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 2:52pm
Thanks again Gentlemen - great to have your thoughts on this.

To answer some questions above:

The Hawke's have a Lifetime Guarantee but only for faulty parts. If I have over-tightened the scope, warranty lost I'm afraid (according to the Dealer).

The Dealer is sending pictures of my scope back to Hawke but he thinks they'll refuse to replace it because he can see some tube marks that imply over-tightening.Unhappy

And thanks Jwabfrog - do you know if your NS scope is Springer-rated over 12 ft/lbs?

I've not had this problem before (60 years of shooting!) so I'm a bit lost as to how I might have over-tightened the tube?  I don't have a torque screwdriver - and they're rather expensive for the amount of use I'd have for it (!) - so I usually use common sense and instinctive feel with the Allen Keys!

Guess I got it wrong this time? Must be getting old?!
Nah! Big smile

Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic