Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > New to airguns? > Tips and things to look out for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red dot sight for possum shooting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red dot sight for possum shooting?
    Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 3:26pm
I'm looking to fit a red dot sight or similar to my PCP specifically for night shooting possums (at some point in the near future).  From my very limited knowledge, they will be sitting up trees typically at a range of around 5-20m.   For this purpose I'm thinking a decent red dot sight and a good miniature LED torch fitted to the underside of my gun would be a good combination.

I'm keen to hear any recommendations regarding this setup or better, and for suitable equipment.
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 7:50pm
Hi Kiwi,

Not sure if you got to trying your red dot sight on your pcp? If you did let us know how it went.

I have never used a red dot sight, but I donโ€™t think they have the ability to give you a 5m, 10m, 15m and 20m โ€œmarkโ€, which you would probably need for close range Accurate possum work with an air rifle.
Even a pcp is not flat shooting enough to only have one (accurate) point of aim from 5 to 20m.
Just my 2c worth.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 8:02pm
Hi Pete.

Spent some time setting the gun up today so I can go hunting with a work colleague who has been shooting big numbers of possums on a customer's property.  I'm using a Holy Warrior S1, a very good clone of the Eotech but a red dot rather than a holographic display.  All was going well sighting it in at 20m, but I then started struggling with the adjustment and just before I packed up I noticed the silencer was loose.  Took a look for nicking and found that plus a lot of lead particles so that explains the problem.  at this stage the sight is very nice to use, a nice clean illuminated reticle and I can get a good view with my glasses on.

I was planning to do some 10m indoor sighting tonight but for some reason most of my flouro lights have decided to stop working.  Yet another job to do!

Cheers 

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 8:40pm
Nothing better than figuring out an issue.

KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 9:09pm
Something I remembered seeing on YouTube - such a great resource!
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 11:41pm
Let us know how the red dot goes out in the field and different distances ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
And good luck with those possums ๐Ÿ˜‰
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 7:33am
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 11:25pm
Looks like itโ€™s working ๐Ÿ˜‚
What distances does the one (red dot) point of aim cover?
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 7:52pm
I should have commented on that.  The haul is from one nights shooting by my colleague and a couple of mates, all using powder burners.  I hope to go out with them in a couple of weeks and see how the PCP compares.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure what you mean by "What distances does the one (red dot) point of aim cover?"

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 9:51pm
It means at what distance does the point of impact line up with the point of aim (the red dot).

So if that happens at 20m, it means that at 10m your point of impact will be below the aim point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic