Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From England but living near Christchurch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 6:59pm
Welcome along mate. I'm just down the road o in Ashburton but work in Christchurch most days.

I would grab Pauly5's cfx. I haven't rebuilt one of those but Mercs and others can point you in the right direction if you need to go down that route with it.

If you go down the c02 guns and want to bulk fill c02 I can help out there if needed.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 7:41pm
Billbobnz, can you suggest a gunshop that will accept firearm dealers network deliveries for Elliot maybe?
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:07pm
Shooters supplies would be my best choice decent guys there
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:34pm
I'll give shooters supplies a call tomorrow, thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't discovered that shop yet either so I'm looking forward to paying them a visit.
Pom that wants to be a kiwi
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:37pm
Also thanks for the welcome.  I plan on grabbing in and putting it to good use down here. Seeing quite a few rat signs around the chooks etc. and lots of pest birds.

Will definitely give you a shout or Mercs if I need to rebuild/mod anything on the rifle.

I'm off to google bulk filling CO2 now.  My only experience with CO2 is a 2240 stlye pistol and never really considered them much before coming here as pcp's were a better option in general.
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:10am
Welcome to the forum Elliot. I have pulled apart CFXs before - not too hard, you can also get a gas ram conversion kit from Custom Air Seals in Australia if you are interested in such a mod. Can't go wrong with a CFX for $100 but I would personally save up for a Weihrauch / Sig / Air Arms / Diana if you can - the triggers on Gamos will never compete with the trigger design / engineering on these other guns. A niceish Mk1 HW80 177 on trademe at the moment - price is a bit high given the condition but you could try negotiating.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 3:49pm
I'm quite excited to get my hands on the CFX, might well be a good little project gun to tide me over until I'm more permantly resident in NZ and get a firearms licence.  I may well save up for a high end springer but that may well turn into a pcp or powder burner depending upon my needs down the line.  Or I might fall in love with spring/gas ram air rifles once again and forget all about pcp's.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

Welcome, I wouldnt touch the gamo myself, but i have worked on a lot of them fixing their crappy triggers.

They might have improved over the years but ive seen nothing to lead me to think so, But everyone is different and depends on what you are wanting to do with it.

Despite what seems to be very sensible advice to avoid gamo's it looks like I will be getting one from Pauly. Although not exactly a CFX I believe it is pretty much the same rifle internally.  I've read that you make and supply replacement triggers for these older model gamo's.  Is that something you're still doing and do you have any available to buy?  I may not need one, Pauly has said the trigger isn't too bad but I also like the idea of learning more about how these rifles work through upgrades, so a new trigger would seem like a good place to start.
paulo.baronceli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 12:52pm
Hey Elliot, welcome to NZ!

I know it will be controversial, but I currently have over 15 air guns in my collection, and when it comes to hunting, I pick my Gamo Magnum Gen 2 more often than I would want to admit. I hunt turkeys, and for the most part, I couldn’t find any other rifle to put up with it in those hunts, including well-made BSA, and fixed barrel Stoegers. They are much harder to shoot than a TX200 or a Weihrouch springer, but once you’ve nailed it down, the 30fpe, all weather stock (great on the field) it’s hard to beat - definitely not a plinker though.

So, a CFX for $100 bucks, if you don’t want that one, I might - you won’t find more bang for your buck than that! Another option to look at if you’re used to PCPs is the Umarex Magnum with the 88g CO2. It puts out about 11fp if I’m not mistaken, and if you buy the 12g CO2 adaptor, it should be cheap to run too.

The BSA Spitfire is another good option and widely available, but it is certainly not quiet. For reference, it has the same power plant as the lightning xl, but with a 10-shot mag fitted - I also never had any problems with those.

With all that said though, as rightfully pointed out, if you’re willing to put down the money, you can’t really go wrong with models such the TX200, HW90, ASP20, and so on. And these will indeed be guns your grandchildren will shoot decades from now.

Hope that either way you find your deal and soon enough be out there shooting! Welcome again.

Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by paulo.baronceli paulo.baronceli wrote:

Hey Elliot, welcome to NZ!

I know it will be controversial, but I currently have over 15 air guns in my collection, and when it comes to hunting, I pick my Gamo Magnum Gen 2 more often than I would want to admit. I hunt turkeys, and for the most part, I couldn’t find any other rifle to put up with it in those hunts, including well-made BSA, and fixed barrel Stoegers. They are much harder to shoot than a TX200 or a Weihrouch springer, but once you’ve nailed it down, the 30fpe, all weather stock (great on the field) it’s hard to beat - definitely not a plinker though.

So, a CFX for $100 bucks, if you don’t want that one, I might - you won’t find more bang for your buck than that! Another option to look at if you’re used to PCPs is the Umarex Magnum with the 88g CO2. It puts out about 11fp if I’m not mistaken, and if you buy the 12g CO2 adaptor, it should be cheap to run too.

The BSA Spitfire is another good option and widely available, but it is certainly not quiet. For reference, it has the same power plant as the lightning xl, but with a 10-shot mag fitted - I also never had any problems with those.

With all that said though, as rightfully pointed out, if you’re willing to put down the money, you can’t really go wrong with models such the TX200, HW90, ASP20, and so on. And these will indeed be guns your grandchildren will shoot decades from now.

Hope that either way you find your deal and soon enough be out there shooting! Welcome again.

I will be taking Pauly up on his offer, as you say it will be great bang for my buck and a good way to get into shooting over here.

I had briefly looked at the Umarex Magnum but hadn't realised they were quite as powerful as that.  Not sure I'll go down that route this time around but 12g CO2 adapter or bulk filling (I know nothing about doing that yet) could make that a tempting option.

Thatnls for the welcome, I'm looking forward to some plinking and invasive pest eradication.

Of the quarry you can take with an air rifle here, what is the best eating? I've eaten plenty of rabbits but not much else you can shoot over here. I did see someone tried possum and said it was very good, but also mentioned having to check for TB which is a bit off putting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic