Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From England but living near Christchurch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 3:49pm
I'm quite excited to get my hands on the CFX, might well be a good little project gun to tide me over until I'm more permantly resident in NZ and get a firearms licence.  I may well save up for a high end springer but that may well turn into a pcp or powder burner depending upon my needs down the line.  Or I might fall in love with spring/gas ram air rifles once again and forget all about pcp's.
Pom that wants to be a kiwi
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:10am
Welcome to the forum Elliot. I have pulled apart CFXs before - not too hard, you can also get a gas ram conversion kit from Custom Air Seals in Australia if you are interested in such a mod. Can't go wrong with a CFX for $100 but I would personally save up for a Weihrauch / Sig / Air Arms / Diana if you can - the triggers on Gamos will never compete with the trigger design / engineering on these other guns. A niceish Mk1 HW80 177 on trademe at the moment - price is a bit high given the condition but you could try negotiating.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:37pm
Also thanks for the welcome.  I plan on grabbing in and putting it to good use down here. Seeing quite a few rat signs around the chooks etc. and lots of pest birds.

Will definitely give you a shout or Mercs if I need to rebuild/mod anything on the rifle.

I'm off to google bulk filling CO2 now.  My only experience with CO2 is a 2240 stlye pistol and never really considered them much before coming here as pcp's were a better option in general.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:34pm
I'll give shooters supplies a call tomorrow, thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't discovered that shop yet either so I'm looking forward to paying them a visit.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:07pm
Shooters supplies would be my best choice decent guys there
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 7:41pm
Billbobnz, can you suggest a gunshop that will accept firearm dealers network deliveries for Elliot maybe?
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 6:59pm
Welcome along mate. I'm just down the road o in Ashburton but work in Christchurch most days.

I would grab Pauly5's cfx. I haven't rebuilt one of those but Mercs and others can point you in the right direction if you need to go down that route with it.

If you go down the c02 guns and want to bulk fill c02 I can help out there if needed.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 5:43pm
I was going to make a spring guide for it. Tinbum tuning are doing similar, and seem to be getting good results. As JS said trigger is quite heavy, and if that can be lightened it'll make a big difference.
Elliot87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 3:30pm
I almost bought a gamo pcp back in the UK but in the end went for a BSA (could have come from the same factory for all I know) and quickly added a Turkish Kral NP02. THe quality isn't outstanding but mine was faultless and a lot of fun, and at least it was priced sensibly.  The BSA was accurate but only single shot and finicky to load whilst trying to keep an eye on squirrels running through the trees, so it didn't get much use once I bought the Kral.

I think you are right, Paul has made a very good offer and I will likely take him up on it. I see myself getting a cometa fusion down the line but as I'm new to NZ and looking for an employer that can help get me a work visa, saving the extra $$$ is probably the sensible thing to do right now.

I've never had a fixed barrel rifle like the CFX either, so I'm keen to try one out.

Short of making basic screw turn trigger adjustments I've never done any work on any of my air rifles but it would be something I'd be keen to learn and it seems like there is some good info to be found on here.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

I have a used .177 Gamo CFX that is sitting unused in my safe. It functions as it should. I don't have a clue how it groups. I'm in Wellington, and would be happy with $100 + postage if you're interested. 

I might put a scope on it and shoot some groups if I get some time too.

Gamo is crap.
But, the best Gamo is the CFX and $100 is a great deal and certainly a good starter to get back into airgunning here and seeing what else is around you might fancy.

After the CFX gamo really focussed on a quest for fastest velocity, and then added in things like multishot capability. The problem is the build quality is not good so they teeth rattlers, light weight stocks so harsh to shoot, the multishot mechanisms are plastic and wear out quickly.
Thats all fine if they are priced for their quality, but down here they simply arent. They should be priced at $399, not $999, for that money you can get a Weihrauch HW95 that will do possums and last long enough to hand down to your grand kids.

CFX platform is around 20 years old, pretty good quild quality and not too over powered.
Triggers are pretty firm and not the most crisp.

The cometa fusion is a great rifle for the money, better build than gamo and far better adjustable trigger. Good power, accurate barrels. I used to use one at a target shooting club i belong to, after I polished the spring ends and relubed it it could stack pellets nearly as good as my TX200
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic