Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Down the rabbit hole

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:52pm
Go and get a cleaning rod for your gun barrel. It's got to have a handel that let the cleaning rod turn as it goes down the barrel. Put a bit of tape on it, make sure the that you have a little bit sticking up. Push the cleaning rod down the barrel (make sure it has the white cleaning swab on it and it's a snug fit in the barrel) when the bit of tape has done one full circle stop. Put another bit of tape right where the cleaning rod enters the barrel. Pull out the cleaning rod. Measure the distance from the tape you put on where the cleaning rod entered the barrel. That will be your twist rate for the barrel.
It will be 1( the one is the the tape going around once) in whatever the length you measure is
Here's an example : you put the first bit of tape on then push the cleaning rod in till the tape turns once. You mark it then pull it out and measure it.
Lets say the length when you measure it is 17inches you the have a 1:17 twist rate. Your pellet will turn one time in 17inchs when going down the barrel. Doesn't matter if the barrel is longer or anything that is the twist rate.
CuteRabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:32pm

Doing a little bit further research about rifle lines.
According to the online answer. Looking or camera deep into the barrel is not a good idea to find the twist rate.
Usually we only need to look at the angle between those lines and the muzzle. the larger the twist rate is, the smaller the angle is than 90.
If the rifle line is a straight type, then the rifle line is exactly vertical to the muzzle like pic1 shows.
If this info is correct, then my two rifles' barrel is with straight lines or very low twist rate as hardly to say that the angel is not vertical...

Any idea mates. Just post this as I am serious with this very basic question. no trolling.Embarrassed

My wild guess is with a very limit depth sight, it is hard to tell the difference of the angel of 85 and vertical 90. so maybe with a relative low twist rate are those barrels.

Edited by CuteRabbit - 02 Feb 2023 at 7:38pm
Squirrel goes Vege

@Crosman Benjamin Ironhide .22 Nitro Piston Elite
@Umarex Surgemax .177 Gas Ram 1000fps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:23pm
Winkthat's right. the sight-in issue should not impact the spread of a group, only where it aiming at? So gonna put it onto my gun rest and see the spread again.
Squirrel goes Vege

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by CuteRabbit CuteRabbit wrote:

Winkyes. will sight-in again with my gun rest. Just need to find a time to set up all those table, chair and gunrest at my landlord yard...

Once you are pretty well sighted in and have found a pellet it likes (the flat head pellets should perform pretty well in the lower power rifle), you can shoot other possitions knowing that if the grouping is big its likely the shooter not the gun - so will improve with practice
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:10pm
Winkyes. will sight-in again with my gun rest. Just need to find a time to set up all those table, chair and gunrest at my landlord yard...
Squirrel goes Vege

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:08pm
standing shooting is the least steady, so if you are wanting to sight in a rifle i would try to get a chair and table and shoot with elbows rested on the table to be stable, ow even a box with rolled up towel to rest the rifle on.

To really see the accuracy, and consistency, you need it as still as possible.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:52pm
EmbarrassedNo artillery hold for now. Still have job so not too much time for practicing, sadly.
Tried artillery hold, but also normal hold like before. The 5 groups posted at page2 is the one when I just got it with a 4x20scope, and haven't heard of Artillery hold by that time. So just try to keep same to reach that level again. Maybe that group is accurate for my green-hand luck? not sure now.

By the way, as some mates said it is monitored by G. I gonna delete S-D words and parts above. The first time you replied I just realised the sensitivity but seems everyone come later then want to reply that it's so wrong to put that word here . I think that somehow is a repeatly emphasizing of that word. So delete it. And no more mention it, guys...

Edited by CuteRabbit - 02 Feb 2023 at 3:02pm
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:41pm
No I would say the reason is despite being given advice on how to hold it and recommended to look up artillery hold, you haven't listened or spent enough time practicing it.
Could be pellets also but they seem to be side by side on a few shots.
If it shoots where you aim from a rested position (assuming you are holding it correct in the rest) you may well be pulling the trigger badly and making the rifle pull to one side. (Though if it was windy that may be why but over 12m not sure that would matter)
If you don't want to pratice the artillery hold, or listen to the other advice you have been given on how to hold a springer, you'd be better off selling your springers and getting a pump air rifle. They more friendly for shooting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:45pm
CryCryCryAustralia is more restrict? That is really a bad news... Seems NZ always tend to keep similar with AUS...CryCryCry Thanks for your info. about FAL by the way.

Edited by CuteRabbit - 02 Feb 2023 at 1:45pm
Squirrel goes Vege

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:35pm

Still too spreading, lack of accuracy with my surgemax. Standing normal hold, no artillery hold.
Gonna try to re sight-in it and use gun rest and tripod to shoot someday later when I get spare time.
Wondering would be the reason that my surgemax and scope are from trademe 2nd hand.
Should I sell them and buy a brand new one at gun city? my Stalker Jr. new from guncity seems more accurate?Embarrassed

Edited by CuteRabbit - 02 Feb 2023 at 1:37pm
Squirrel goes Vege

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic