Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Down the rabbit hole

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 4:29pm
Maybe.
FPM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:51pm
I suggest quickly rethinking this "self defense" thing. Especially if you want to get an FAL at some point.

Also I'd suggest a 22cal if you want to go up in size.
CuteRabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:22am
CryCryCryWhile. if you check some other chats, you will know that I am not for that with air gun. 

I get people are sensitive to this topic especially here. and I am not interested to continue this. So let's end it here.

I just saying this on above paragraph because that's what the selling ads implied to me... not my opinion...CryCryCry

Edited by CuteRabbit - 02 Feb 2023 at 2:58pm
Squirrel goes Vege

@Crosman Benjamin Ironhide .22 Nitro Piston Elite
@Umarex Surgemax .177 Gas Ram 1000fps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:31am
TongueWink Saw you saying that have a Gamo magnum.
However, I may only can afford to upgrade a Gamo fusion Gen3i in the future...CryCryCry
Remember someone said his magnum had ruined 2 scopes due to recoil... don't know why the kickback can smash the glasses of scope, but maybe as he said?
Also want to try Hatsan M130 .30 someday when I have surplus...Embarrassed
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:47am
I don't think it breaks the glass, I think the inside bits get shocked loose and when you shoot they move so it doesn't hold its aim point accurate.
Thats why you can get scopes that are air rifle rated.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 10:28am
It doesnt brake the glass, it shakes the internal parts loose like the cross hairs and the focus and will not hold on zero. you should check if the scope is air gun rated or not. the recoil from the piston is very hard on scopes and even more so on the low end quality guns. You get what you pay for.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:43pm
Embarrassedwow,so I should try to save my Stealth scope from Beeman 16015GPCry
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 2:14pm
Probly not a silly idea. A spare scope is always handy in case one fails.
I kept my gamo scope, and are using on 1322 till I can afford another one, after the gamo killed the $300 gun City air rifle rated one I put on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 10:39am
Embarrassedactually still can't understand what nunga say. since everyone say so, I just assume that piston rifle are really not friendly to any scopeCry
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 11:29am
Do you spend any time researching stuff?
A rifle scope has moving parts in it.
Those moving parts are made to take recoil (you know the unbelievable recoil of your umerex)
In a powder rifle they are made to take a backwards recoil, because that is all a powder rifle has, backwards recoil into your shoulder.
In a spring or gas ram air rifle there are two types of recoil, a forward one as the piston hits the end of the cylinder and the backwards one like a powder rifle has.
As a powder rifle scope is only made to take the backwards recoil and not the forwards recoil, this means if you put a powder rifle scope on on a spring or gas piston rifle everytime you shoot it, it will get a jolt forward as the piston hits the end of the cylinder, which the scope has not been made to take. This will eventually shake the moving bits inside and they will come loose. When this happens the the cross hairs will move and won't be where you set them too. You won't hit where you are aiming because they have moved.
In an air rifle rated scope they know that there is a forward and backward shock to the scope, so they make the moving bits in the scope to be able to take the forwards and backwards jolt that happens in a spring or gas piston air rifle. This means that the moving bits in the scope don't shake loose and the scope stays on target.
Thats a very basic description.
Get on the Internet and look it up.
Guns like the gamo magnums have a very heavy recoil and are known to break (shake the moving bits loose) scopes that arnt well made even if they are for air rifles .
Before you ask, an air rifle rated scope can be used on a powder rifle.
It is not a good idea to use powder rifle scope on an air rifle.
Pcp and pump up air rifles do not have to use a air rifle rated scope as they do not have a big heavy piston crashing into the end the cylinder when firing a shot. So that don't have the a big forward jolt like a spring or gas piston.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic