Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Down the rabbit hole

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down the rabbit hole
    Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 4:41pm
Down the rabbit hole with cuterabbit.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 4:45pm
So haven't you shot your umerex before cute rabbit? This surly can't be the first time you've shot it.
How are you holding it that it makes your arm tired? Are you tucking your elbow into body to give it support.

Edited by kruzaroad - 29 Jan 2023 at 4:49pm
CuteRabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:13pm
Embarrassedemm,not really... elbow not in the body.
Just keep shooting for about 15 rounds then my arm get tired...
Why make a new topic for this, LoL
Squirrel goes Vege

@Crosman Benjamin Ironhide .22 Nitro Piston Elite
@Umarex Surgemax .177 Gas Ram 1000fps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:45pm
Only use the rest for sight in. And it takes too  long to set up a table, seat and gun rest then shoot. My landlord won't let them stay in the yard over night and it is rainning heavily so neither do I.
Just some quick shot on targets. That is Okish before.

But sometime try to plinking for a longer time, and find that too tired to hold it anyway.
Used to hold it normally, like two tri-angle with two arms to fix the position of the rifle. After learned the some special hold for piston-air, working as let the left arm as the gun rest and relax the right arm to pull the triger, I just find it won't help anyway?

When I keep shooting, I just grab that gun with my left hand and cock, load and triger it with my right hand. So it is about 20mins that the rifle won't leave my left hand and I find it is too heavy for me somehow. By the way, I was OK with the stalker jr. but the surgemax feels even 1.5 times heavier than my friend's gamo whisper.

What I mean is that the hold won't help as if you let the gun sliding on the rest or your left hand (as a rest) with the recoil, that is a cool idea. But the thing I am facing is that if my left arm a little bit tired and won't be steady as a real gun rest, the sliding with the recoil can lead to a real big movement on the muzzle.

WinkAnd, sorry to let you feel annoying. And thanks for all the advice and guidings from mates here.Wink However, that is a real situation to a self-learning beginner I think...CryCryCryNo pretending to be pro and be quiet like knowing everything, that won't help me learn more. 

Believe or not, one of my friends still not believe that even a cheap rifle has a rifled barrel as well after I tell him that I have checked and discussed on this forum. And one of my friends who grab a gamo whisper from guncity with sighted-in service even don't know he is paying an extra for that service and he think gamo works so better than the weirach he bought at F&H(without any sight-in service) is because the design and quility. Another just bought one before the covid lock down and never test it and don't know it needs sight-in. He told me that he just take 3 shots into the wood, don't know where the pellets flying to and then think it is too loud for neighbors and put it away after buying. So that's the level around this country for people who have one or few collections of air rifle...Cry
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:53pm
It just stops you starting up lots of threads about differnt stuff. I did the same for me.
Makes it a bit less of lots a threads about stuff some, of it that has been covered on this site before. Also lot of the ppl here are many years into air rifles and newbies like you and me tend to ask the wrong questions in the wrong thread. It stops that too, but is still accessible to everyone.
When you hold your rife try grabbing it at its point of balance on the stock.
Then with the butt very lightly against shoulder, move your elbow on the hand you are holding the rifle with onto your hip. This will help take the weight of the rifle by pushing it down wards into your hip. You will notice that as you aim the gun is going up and down with your breathing. Get the rifle on target and when you are on target and getting ready to pull the trigger hold your breath. This will stop the breathing movement and make the rifle steadier.
You should be holding the rifle the same place every time and same way everytime. If you don't it will shoot differnt everytime. Spring or gas ram rifles usually need to be held the same place and same way to be accurate.
Hold the gun very lightly, it will not jump out of your hands or anything, they do not have enough power to do that in the smaller calabar range.
It will need practice. It is not usually something you pick up strait away. Once you have it sussed, your shooting should be more accurate.
You can adjust what I've said to suit you, but that's the basics of the arti-something hold. It may be that you find a way that suits you better, or maybe your gun isn't that hold sensitive.
But if you have a lot of kickback it is a good way to start controlling it.
That kickback will make you shoot not accurate everytime you use it if you don't hold it the same way every time.
Thats the other reason for using this thread. People can give long explanation and it doesn't fill up a differnt thread. It's easier for you to look up stuff later that you asked because you know the answer is here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:56pm
Oh, and thanks for the notice of elbow on the body. Maybe that's the point.
Just forget to hold like that for the surgemax is too big LoL.
If you check the shape. You will find it with a pistol hold stock which makes it very light on the rear but a full covered rail on the cylinder (I guess that's the reason of the weight) which makes it very heavy on the mid and front.
If I put my elbow on my body to hold it, my left hand is near to where the triger is and I can feel the rifle try to leaning toward a little bit.
By the way, I am about 1.8m high. and this problem is not an universal one. I think it is only for this model design...
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:20pm
Your arm is probly not use to holding a rifle up. You will have to just keep using it and it will get stronger.
Some rifles are heavy. I've swapped a very good rifle for another lighter very good rifle, because it was to heavy to carry hunting all day for me.
If your arm gets tired have a rest.
GAMO are light rifles. Some people love them some people don't.
They are not the best rifle for target shooting,in my opinion .
You may have to go through a few rifles to find one you like. Don't give up on using the artillery hold as it very difficult and it will take a while to get use to it. In the beginning it will not be very accurate because you haven't practiced it.
If your arm gets tired have a break.
When I did target shooting more years ago than you probly are old, one of my shots took 21 minutes. I stopped and rested, I had to stop and breath because I had held my breath for to long more than once. But it worked. I put 5 shots into a group that was barely bigger than a pellet hole at 10m. ( they did ask me to shoot a bit faster after that shot)
Target shooting is about technique and presison. It is also a about the gun if you want to compete. You will need a good gun or make your gun a good gun by changing things to work better.
At the moment you can pratice your shooting technique with your guns and get that right, but probly will have to get better guns to compete in target shooting. For fun target shooting they are ok.
It takes a lot of time and a lot of learning to shoot springer air rifles.
It takes a lot of pellets.
You are right to ask stuff, you need to, to learn.
Its just the beginning, don't rush, don't worry if things arnt happening fast it takes time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:20pm

Upload a old pic of my stalker jr. here
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:27pm
You can try putting the rifle on finger tips at the front. It means your hand is straiter and that means your fingers are supporting the rifle further forward. It is how I use to target shoot, I don't like it for hunting, and don't use it much anymore because I mostly hunt so pratice how I hold it hunting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:33pm
This is the pic shows the issue.
not resigned to only use Jr. size LoL
But can't reach the bal. point with my left elbow on body somehow LoL.
and not used to let the rifle sliding freely on my hand.
Used to hold them just like lying hold, two arm as tri-angle to lock it so tight and once locked only moving sight by twisting waist...CryCryCry
Squirrel goes Vege

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic