Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Air Gun Clubs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beginner looking for Clubs around Auckland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 2:26pm
WinkWinkSorry. I mean 1500 dollars level. as bill&bobnz mentionedWink

Edited by CuteRabbit - 23 Jan 2023 at 2:26pm
Squirrel goes Vege

@Crosman Benjamin Ironhide .22 Nitro Piston Elite
@Umarex Surgemax .177 Gas Ram 1000fps
CuteRabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 2:34pm
EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedyou are right. FPS is not everything. .30 bigbore Hatsan M130 has only around 550fps but shoudl have more muzzle energy than my Airchief Stalker Junior .177 600fps.
another thing is, according to the review, the FPS will drop when the pellets fly out of the barrel.
For example, for my Umarex Surgemax .177
Around: 6gr, 1000fps, target:800fps
             8.2gr, 850fps, target:750fps
             10+gr, 750fps, target:690fps
             So 8.2gr should be good and economic for shooting.
Squirrel goes Vege

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 2:51pm
Just got an Umarex Surgemax at GuncityWink
My test result is, using a 1.5L spring water plastic bottle full with water.
Shooting at 4m
My Airchief Stalker Junior managed to penetrate the bottle but then the pellet leaves in the water and no hole on the back.
My Umarex Surgemax gives holes on both side of the bottle but the pellet still in the water rather than go through.
The pellet is GunCity flatnose target shooting .177
maybe roundnose or even ironpoint can do much better in bottle shooting.
But that's is the true result for 600fps and 1000fps .177 rifle.

Should mention that shoot into the bottle is very easy, even some steel bb toy pistol can do that as well, but the water inside then slows down the pellet largely and absorb lots of the energy. So there truely a power difference between junior and fullsize break barrel air rifle.

Edited by CuteRabbit - 23 Jan 2023 at 2:52pm
Squirrel goes Vege

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 2:59pm
Cryanother thing is my Surgemax seems very accurate with my 4x20scope once.
But after changed into it's 4x32scope, can't keep that accuracy( 12m, had a group within r=2cm with 4x20scope) Still try to sight-in more accurate or figure out the problem.Cry
Squirrel goes Vege

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 3:06pm
you will need to shoot at least 500 pellets before the rifle will settle down. Then you will need to find a pellet that it likes. After that you should worry about changing scopes. Pointless changing things on a new rifle until it runs its self in.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 7:37pm
CryCry?seems should buy an expensive GAMO or Crossman then?Cry
How many rounds the Stalker junior or Surgemax can last before the piston smashed? 1000rounds or 2000rounds?Embarrassed
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 8:35pm
Dude you really need to start looking at how how airguns work.
I really don't think you have been listening to what advise ppl have been trying to give you.
So tell me what do you want the air gun for. Target shooting, hunting, both.
Because at the moment you just all over the place with what your looking at.
Go and buy a really expensive gamo, the most powerful they have. Get the 10 shot magnum. Make sure its cool, really cool like a real rifle. Then join a gun club. Then start target shooting with it. When you find out power and expense and coolness do not always make for the best gun, and you realise that you have may just have wasted your money for what you were looking for, come back ask the question again and listen to advise some of these guys have given you. There are some very experiance shooters here. They have done the hard yards. They build and alter thier rifles. They are target shooters and hunters. They tend to offer sound advise. If I had joined this site and asked about air rifles before I rushed out and brought that gamo ( I had was swayed by 10shot mag) I know I would have brought a gun much more suited to my needs.
But as I say go buy an expensive gamo magnum for target shooting.
Put of point of interest gamo has a coloir system with thier bands around stock. I think it's green is hunting, red is hunting and recreation, blue is target. I've never seen a blue banded gamo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 9:17pm
TongueTongueWinkYou are right. Just haven't find a shop with those classical brand I think?
Seems like I will start with a pop level in GunCity... sadlyCry
Squirrel goes Vege

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 9:21pm
EmbarrassedThank you. and the first 500 rounds is about the rifled barrel? My stalker jr. and surgemax are not rifled I think?
Squirrel goes Vege

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:05pm
It's very unlikely that your guns arnt rifled. Look down the barrel.
No you don't have to start with gun city. Start by looking on the Web, and reading reviews. Start by looking up the difference between a cheap air gun, medium and expensive.
Go to gun City and tell them you want to by a air rifle but would like to try a couple a of shots. They may well have a shooting range out back.
If they do, shoot a couple of differnt guns and don't buy any. Then go to anther store try the same thing differnt guns.
There is no rush.
Practic your shooting with your air chief. You will benifit more from taking your time to learn about air guns. Before you get your new one.
Are you aware of adjustable triggers, that you need to check the tension of screws, things come loose, accuracy goes out the window.
Adjusting stuff. Example is your question how long before the piston explodes! Never unless it's the crappie St air gun ever, however the seal will wear, you can replace that.
Some oils are not good to use with your guns.
In less than a. Year I've had then given away a gamo ( to someone who uses and likes his gamo) brought a tx200 and scope, Swapped that for a sig ( but kept the scope. A good quality scope can be changed from gun to gun and I'll pay for a good quality scope for that reason.
Brought a cheap pistol that is easy to work on.
Brought a cheap rifle for same reason.
Hoping to get a weihrauch next month in 22 ( I may not like it and get rid of it but if I do then I have a good rifle to last me in 22 as well as the good 177 I have.
Its a very complex world air rifles, lot of good and bad, lot to learn.
Take your time make your next gun something that suits you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic