Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

good morning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 7:51pm
This has some info and one guy uses autosol. Also has how long a leather piston takes to break in which is a bit of a shocker.
http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?856076-Polishing-the-Compression-Chamber-Efficacy
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:14pm
Wet and dry on a wooden dowel (broom handle) alternatively could use a brake cylinder hone.
Good thorough clean afterwards is what will be important.
Interested to know what difference polishing makes if any?
Slowly does it, do not create any heat whatever the process.

cheers
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:49pm
Sorry I read it wrong, thought you were going to polish the barrel! That's what I've seen FX do.

Polishing the piston chamber, yes I've used a dowel with emery paper, also used a very fine steel wool on the end of a extension bit on a drill (steel wool bits goes everywhere with this method)
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Billbobnz Billbobnz wrote:

I haven't polished the chamber before, I'm sure someone here has. I do remember seeing a video on YouTube of someone having a tour of FX airguns and they were polishing the chamber and barrel and testing between polishing to get the accuracy perfect. I keep it in the back of my head and will try sometime. I should try on my Hatsan .25cal

It's not clear that polishing is a good thing. Manufactures like Weihrauch use a honed finish. So do hydraulic cylinders.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
dropshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:37am
Am intending to use the old military trick of swabbing the "polished are a with boiling water vinegar-heat will dry metal and that should remove any residues.autosol is very fine -we used it in my Tfarmy days to remove crap and plastic sh*t off SLR gasplugs after using blank ammo or prolonged sessions on range.
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:46am
I'm no export but also think polishing can be counter productive - honing a car cylinder or pneumatic ram actually produces small scratches that hold lubricant, where as a piston seal on a mirror finish would presumably wipe off the lubricant and make it run dry. If you do polish your compression tube please chrony before and after and share what impact it has so we can all learn something.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:53am
The level of polish is an interesting subject. I could see a high mirror shine actually increasing drag and heat, clearing the surface lubricant quicker. (speculation have not looked into it to deep)
Where as the wet dry would leave tiny scratches that the lube would fill.
If the seal actually pushes into them this would in theory actually create a larger surface contact area.
What is general difference you guys who are pulling rifles apart all the time, have seen between the brands?
Have any of you seen a mirror finish stock in a cylinder or is it usually just a high shine (if that)
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:55am
polishing tends to over heat things and burn out piston seals very quickly
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:59am
@nunga so how far would you go when touching up a cylinder. I. E light deburring, slight polish, leave alone etc. Would this vary from cheaper to top quality models?
dropshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:43pm
latest guys .spoke to guy from J Vaugan .from serial nos he estimates the rifle was built late 1980s-mid 1990s.not sure if they had a spring in stock.anyhow today after muckin round ,Ive reassembled the  old girl safety is slightly sloppy but most important it works. 
Ive mounted a redfield 4x scope i was given with my latest .22 gift and laser sighted the old girl. She does fire ,altho id say a new mainspring would be a goer in the future sometime.
Shell be ok for a spot of target prasctise though meanwhile. shes smoother than the chinese jobbie Ive also got -it barks like a demented pomeranian. thanks for all you excellent advice and heres to hoping i can reciprocate.
Merry Xmas and seasons best  to all of you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic