Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

got me bit stuffed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: got me bit stuffed
    Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:11am
i manged to get a large supply of the now out of locally made winchester branded 22 cal pellets,these work really well in co2 pistols,i had allways believed they weighed 12gr,but had never weighed any to check,couple days ago i did some shooting with an 11fpe co2 2240 pistol and my 13fpe pcp revolver using 14.3 gr crosmans and the winchester pellets at 10 meters sighting both guns in etc,got bit a surprise when checked the steel pellet trap with each pellet etc,the 14.3 grain pellets did exactly as expected and disinterfrated on the steel back stop,but the winchester pellets just flattened out to allmost disintergrating,wasnt expecting that to happen,i had thought being shorter with the hollow base being allmost to the nose compared to the crosmans hollow base only being approx quarter of this dept  and the pellet shorter that the winchester pellets would be significantly lighter than the crosmans so velocity would be higher and they essentually vapourize,weighing a batch of each pellets got bigger surprise as my scales said both weighed the same as 14.2 gr average,wasnt expecting that,but that still dosnt explain to me why they both if same weight didnt disintergrate on steel back stop,recalibrated scales and weighed another batch of each got same result,this now got me stuffed because it dosnt make sense for both to weigh the same when the winchester pellets are shorter by .4 mm their hollow base goes is 4.1mm deep and crosman only 2.5 mm deep which is telling me the winchester pellets should be significantly lighter than the crosmans should be at higher velocity and being more fragile by design they should then be damaged far more than the crosmans,but if both do weigh same the winchester pellet is definatly the more frajile pellet so should at very lest get disintergrated simialler to the crosman but dosnt,a harder lead alloy in the winchester could explain something tho dont know what because a harder alloy would be lighter but apparently it not something weird going on here for sure,i guess next step is to chrono both pellets and check velocitys,both pellets do measure exactly the same in diameter,i will now recheck weights on a mates scales just to be sure my scales are right tho am possitive they are right,bit of a mystery here for sure.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:20pm
Chronograph comparison would be the way to go. But also is there any difference in point of impact?

It may be a case that winchester changed their source of pellets?
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:54pm
Could the crossman be an alloy mix hence lighter and not as fragile?
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:01pm
these winchester pellets allways been made in nz,but winchester shutting down all firearms and ammo production overseas and shipping production to US only.the nz company who had allways made pellets in nz has been shut down too,proberly due to winchester buying them out,so killwell/daisy pellets that had allways been made in nz for many years will no longer be available here as locally made pellets either,just another example of a big US based company getting rid of all locally produced competition i guess,thats todays big share market driven busseness for you taking over markets these days to control markets and prices for the same products  they produce,there is nothing fair or nice about US big busseness these days as its all bout the bottom line for US companys and their share holders,thats all they care about.
 at 10 meters the revolver is sighted in with 14.3 premiers hitting level with top of front sight blade which is dead on point of aim,the winchester pellets hit in exactly same place,which indicates the weights are the same,what i cant understand is that the crosman pellet is longer,has more lead in its core with only 1/3 of its length in the hollow base,the winchester pellets lead center core is hollow allmost to the nose and noticably shorter as well.this should indicate the crosman pellet should be heavier,but scales say both weigh the same which dosnt make sense,so normally would expect both pellets weighing the same to have pretty much identical velocitys within small margin of error so i would expect two identical weight domed pellets to exhibit the same damage after impacting the steel backstop,but this isnt whats happening here,which then indicates one pellet has higher velocity than the other so will have to chrono now to find that out,but as both pellets measure out exactly the same diameters at nose and skirts,if velocity varys enuf for this to happen,why the does the velocity vary enuf to allow this to happen??it dosnt really matter in the scheme of things when it comes to the effectivness of either pellet for hunting as both do the job equally well,i just would like to know it is happening purely out of curiosity fpe is a combination of velocity and projectile weight,so obviously the winchester pellet dispite being same weight must have less velocity for some reason therefore have less fpe on target for this to happen,so i would just like to figure out why i guess out of curiousity more than anything Jono.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic