Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Sale / Wanted > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo Viper Express .22 Air Shotgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 3:39pm
You recon you could 3d print those shells for the shot gun?
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 4:10pm
Let us know how it goes. I wish I never sold mine to my brother in-law up in Taranaki He has taken starlings at 15m inside their workshop.ive always wanted to try it on quails along the Ashburton river
paulo.baronceli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

lmao ive dealt with napier. Same people who said you cant use alloy or copper pellets in nz. yet have them on shelf.
Same people who told me ftt only come in one head size.
Same people who sold me gamo.Even though I had over a grand in pocket to buy a decent gun.
Same people who tried to sell me chamber oil that would have dieseled.
Same people who sold me a gc scope that blew out,saying it would be sweet for job,even though i said id pay more for quality.
Same people who told me they couldnt get replacement seals, yet gun city are the sole distributors of roadster model. Said try the air gun store up auckland couldnt remember name. ( yet vaughns is the distributor)
Same ppl who have tried to tell me I need heavier pellets which the gamo hates.
Untill I got sick of it and told them they have no idea.
Gun city napier is the worst store in napier for air rifle advice.(in my view)
I have no idea who you see there but ive never met him/her
Do have a good selction of h&n.

LOL Looks like you had a hard time there indeed. I don't really know, but maybe they've got some better staffing now. Might be also that I never really asked for advice, most times I just go there with the decision made and the research behind me already. I think air guns are quite niched, and there're not that many people truly qualified to give advice on them.

Didn't realise you're from Napier, but glad to meet you fellow towner. Do you use your air rifles just for plinking or do some hunting with them too?

And yes, that's true 👇
Do have a good selction of h&n.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 7:36pm

You recon you could 3d print those shells for the shot gun?

Definitely worth I try I guess. I have 3D printers here, just need to figure out how to seal the shells, and if the PLA will withstand the blow.

I'll do some research on Thingiverse to see if I find the 3D model.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Billbobnz Billbobnz wrote:

Let us know how it goes. I wish I never sold mine to my brother in-law up in Taranaki He has taken starlings at 15m inside their workshop.ive always wanted to try it on quails along the Ashburton river

Yes, and I've been on the hunt for months now, so they're bloody hard to find here in NZ, and the few ones I've tried to buy - unsuccessfully - had their prices right up there. This one will certainly have its special place in the safe.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 7:56pm
thats what i do with them now. Go in with what i want. Will get them to check products for use on air rifles. For example the cyclinder lube I ended up getting I got them to check on web for me as i hadnt seen it before.
Im only going back a week or two with "cant use alloy pellets"
I primarly hunt. Do a lot of target shooting but thats sorting guns for hunting and improving techniques. The farm im on has a lot of game. Since first got gamo taken hare,rabbit,pigeon,quail,pheasent and cats. All cats taken with tx.Arnt allowed to shot magpie which sux cause there is way to many. If there were possums ( is that the real spelling or a kiwi thing? I thought it was opossum) Id be knocking them off too.
I need to start on the mynars and starlings but havent. I have no idea why. I use a gilly suit during the day which os especially effective with birds. They just dont seem to pick up on it very well. Other critters are getting wise to it.
Im actually out sheridan way.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo.baronceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 8:13pm

Im only going back a week or two with "cant use alloy pellets"

lol That definitely breaks my case then.

I primarly hunt. Do a lot of target shooting but thats sorting guns for hunting and improving techniques. The farm im on has a lot of game. Since first got gamo taken hare,rabbit,pigeon,quail,pheasent and cats. All cats taken with tx.Arnt allowed to shot magpie which sux cause there is way to many. If there were possums ( is that the real spelling or a kiwi thing? I thought it was opossum) Id be knocking them off too.
I need to start on the mynars and starlings but havent. I have no idea why. I use a gilly suit during the day which os especially effective with birds. They just dont seem to pick up on it very well. Other critters are getting wise to it.
Im actually out sheridan way.

That sounds quite good, I do some plinking, but mostly hunt too. I've had a permission in a farm near a block I have down in Waipuk for wild turkeys, but the farm has sold last week and now I'm trying to figure out the new owners to see if they're happy for me to carry on taking them down. Til then I'll have to settle with plinking in my own block or using the DOC land for bigger game with my crossbow.

The Viper Express will be likely for varmints around the house, or whatever else I can get short range 😃
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 10:32pm
I managed to pick up a Gamo viper express last week with 4 boxes of shells. Slightly newer version from my brother in-laws wich was the first version.

My gun does not have the choked and rifled muzzle so probably not as accurate in firing pellets. Also the shot groups are higher at 15m than his gun so they may have set this on the newer version to increase range? Or it might be me... I've missed two starlings because of this shooting high. Will repost once red dots on and hopefully a pile of starlings.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 7:33am
I saw something on the Web about the reason they rifle, air rifle barrels (deablo shape is stable in flight even through smooth barrel)
Was due to air pushing past the pellet as it left the barrel, upsetting the pellet balance at beginning of flight.
spin stabilisation countered that.
It recommended that getting the end of the barrel recrowned on a bit more of an angle and make sure its machined to high standard so the air pushes past evenly as pellet leaves barrel can improve smooth bore accuracy.
Hopefully we will see plenty of starlings and hopefulky a few 2 with one shot. Maybe even a couple on the wing at close range.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 6:07pm
Red dot turned up today, haven't had much time other than mount it and sight it in for 15m using flat head pellets, they are not too bad at that distance (will try diablo next)

Only fired 1 shot shell and at that distance it had spread out to a good 14" area with at least 2-3" between the pellets so definitely not as good as the brother in-laws choked barrel (he gets about a 9-10" spread at that distance.

Is it worth lathing up a brass choke for the barrel?? If I did and got a 6" spread at that distance it would be an amazing gun for pests

Edited by Billbobnz - 20 Oct 2022 at 6:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic