Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what is the problem with brass brushes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the problem with brass brushes
    Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 4:07pm
a question, why do people get so anti brass barrel brush.? my logic would be that the barrel is harder than the brush and shouldn't do any damage. could someone enlighten me on this please.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 5:13pm
Air Rifle barrels are treated but not particularly hard.

Where required i would only use cleaning Patches.
Napier of London have good on-line instructions and products are readily available.

Cleaning should be very rare and only if experiencing problems that cannot be otherwise explained.

I had trialed a tin of copper coated pellets through a 1000fps Crosman and was unhappy with result.
My cleaning rod and kit came with a brass brush which I used, it was a very tight fit.
Following this I was even less pleased with accuracy because there was none.
1000 pellets later this rifle never recovered to original excellent performance.
Copper pellets or brass brush, no idea which was to blame but I will not be using either again.

Look forward to some great posts on this one.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 8:50pm
I wrote to air arms and asked them if it was OK or if it held a chance of damaging the barrel. I'll post it when I get the answer. in the meantime I'd be keen to hear more views or experiences with the afore mentioned cleaning brush. ( real life experience trumps)
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 8:20am
air arms reply:
Hello Carey

The technical depatrtment has advised not to use metal cleaning brushes in air rifle barrels.

This is for a couple of reasons:

1.        Air rifle barrels are on the whole a softer material than ‘live round’ guns

2.        The ferrule that holds the brush can scratch the inside of the barrel if care is not taken.

Plastic brushes or cloth/tissue pull-throughs are advised..

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 10:03pm
As stated, air gun barrels are fairly soft by steel standards. I wouldn’t use anything metal in an airgun barrel, especially something like an air arms.
Once or twice will likely be fine, but repeated use could dull the rifling lands.
I’d suggest a bore snake without a brush, or a pull through with fabric patches.

Best tip is to clean the barrel when new then only again when accuracy drops off. Airgun barrels don’t need a lot of cleaning, pellet lead fills pores in the steel and cleaning removes this.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:52am
so is a bore snake with brass connector for the plastic patch holding piece be Ok. (I brought a bore snake as the rod I had was brass ends, and I didn't like the idea of forcing it through just incase )
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:54am
airgun barrels will allways over time get a very thin build up of the soft lead used for pellets but unlike a firearm barrel this fouling dosnt include burnt powder fouling deposited in the barrel under very high temps that bakes the fouling into firearms barrels,lead and copper jacketed bullets allso leave fouling in firearms barrels this can be very hard to remove and normally requires bronze brushes and solvents to remove,airgun pellets are normally very soft lead some of which will strip from pellets when fired adhering to barrel,this will build up over time if not removed regularly,but its very easy to remove with just cloth patchs,airgun barrels are generaly softer steel than firearms barrels proberly because airguns dont operate at the significantly higher pressures of firearms,barrels are soft enuf that bronze brushs will damage the rifling over time and bronze brushs are just not needed to clean airgun barrels.there is plenty of excellent info on cleaning airgun barrels on most airgun forums that can explain this better than i can but there are very good reasons for not using bronze brushes to clean airgun barrels.
 cheers mike
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 9:21am
yeah so much contradiction on the air gun sites ya don't know what to believe. I think air arms recommends that 250+ rounds is about right for cleaning. shooters, range from every 500 to never. some say if ya wash and lube bullets it reduces the amount you need to clean. Some use metal brushes and claim no affect, others say different.
Thats why I asked here. When I was target shooting years ago I took the trophy putting 5 shots through the same hole dead centre, standing 10 meters and I cleaned that bsa after every shooting session. all good ill try a few different periods of running a pull through through it and see what works. I guess a lot would have to do with the softness of the lead, how tight it's engaging the rifling and the state of the barrel. I'll say away from metal brushes mind. cheers for advise ppls
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 9:29am
As DVLNME said really, patches are the safest.
Its more the over time point with wear - repeated use forcing a brush through.
with the bore snake and the brass / bronze weight, its not beimng forced in to the barrel and is simply sliding through with no resistance so there would be little chance of it doing damage.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 12:59pm
thanks. that makes sense and answers it perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic