Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi from Christchurch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Christchurch
    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 1:33pm
Hey guys currently have a Gamo CFX .177gas piston and BSA Spitfire 10 shot .177 looking at getting more im hooked recently started hunting with my son 13 years old he is also hooked looking at the hatsan .30 cal for abit more punch in the future.

Love my CFX well worn in and since i upgraded seals and spring to a gas piston its been a very nice gun runs a 3-12-40 AO Artic fox scope Recently brought the BSA seems to have good power and not bad accuracy but already had to fix the loading mechanism as it wasnt seating the pellets correctly easy fix tho put about 300 pellets through it unfortunately things went down hill and lost all power so decided it was a good reason to upgrade to gas piston and better seals from Custom Air seals opened the gun up and sure enough seal was toast and gun was full of oil makes sense why it was dieseling so much found something in the compression chamber tho which id like some advise on looks like metal perhaps the cylinder was not machined properly i have some pictures i can post used a bore scope.
Excort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 2:31pm
This is at the Transfer port end and there are dents in the piston seal from all this material 

Edited by Excort - 12 Jan 2021 at 2:34pm
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 5:55pm
Welcome, disappointing about the BSA.
I have the .22 CFX and it is a firm favourite.
I will post a review of my .30 Hatsan, hard work but it does reward and is surprisingly accurate.

Excort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:01pm
Yeah i have only really heard good things from BSA but from what i have read this is a rebranded Gamo im thinking i need to get someone to machine the transfer port end flat not sure if its weld or has it been brazed id say the first shot i put through would of killed the seal it was dieseiling and smoke was comeing out under the scope a fair bit 
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:01am
BSA GAMO are both owned by a large multi national corporation these days most Gamo pcps are made by BSA and very likely some BSA marked spring gas ram guns are now made by Gamo,both proberly produce componants for each other these days,thats the way these big corporations work these days,its all bout saving money to boost profits for shareholders not about building the best products anymore,BSA guns were allways far better than Gamos but merging the two manufacturers in the end will be to the detriment of BSA as build quality of BSA guns will go down and allready has as accounants and bean counters very rarely understand the produces their companys produce and couldnt care less a bout the products or those who buy and use them either,nothing good ever comes out these mergers,producing guns is a numbers game,the larger the company becomes the higher their costs become to pay for all the bean counters they employ,so they cut corners to save money and to boost share holders profits,the end result is product quality goes down.
 when BSA/GAMO were independant stand alone companys their guns were much better than they are today,there was nothing wrong with early GAMO guns,ans BSA had allways produced top quality guns,but its not like that today thats for sure,the damage to your rifle is very likely due to poor machining and quality control,but may have been allso caused by oil in the tube from manufacturing etc,its allways a good idea to degrease new guns then lube them properly before firing particually with spring guns,i like to strip them these days as have found bitz metal left over from machining inside several brand name spring and pcp guns in recent years so i never assume any more things are as they should be with new guns,as for remachining and polishing your tube,proberly dosnt need remachining,just removing the junk will proberly sort it,then lube it again with the right lube and new seals is proberly all it needs,as there is lot heat produced inside the tube the gunk inside maybe hard and difficult to remove,sugest blocking the hole with wooden plug and trying petrol or brake cleaner to soften the gunk,this should get it out so you can check for any roughness or damage to tube,
 hope that helps,if any machining needs be done that can be fun as it will be right at front of the tube where you cant see what is being machined and would likely require a long boring bar that will need to be well supported to prevent the tool chattering etc but hopefully wont need that.
 cheers mike
Excort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:42am
Hey thanks for the reply ill give brake cleaner a go and see if that loosens it up cheers 
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:27am
fricton from piston generates lot heat at front of tube and the dieselling proberly evan more heat and crud seems to end up being cooked on and can be a real bugger to remove,brake cleaner designed to remove baked on crud and seems work well on this prob.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:27am
Hello and welcome.

You can see on my post carbon barrel shroud to see what I've done with my BSA Spitfire. Have you ordered a gas ram from custom air seals for the BSA? I asked them for my spitfire and they said they had none that fitted that gun, could just get the Gamo one tho.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 10:15am
dumb question!!as havnt ordered anything gun related from overseas for some time,have things changed when comes to ordering airgun parts?do we need inport permits now etc?
 cheers mike
Excort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 3:07pm
Hey guys yeah im talking to them currently about a gas ram and new seals very hard to find any info on these guns on the net  I would imagine aslong as you were not importing a complete gun perhaps the barrels you would be fine but i could be wrong

Just a update on they cylinder the material down the end was weld from when they attached the end to the air chamber i have ground most of it down took a verylong time as it was very hard hopeing for some good results .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic