Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hello to everyone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello to everyone
    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 3:17am
not exactly an experienced shooter, had/have an old gamo .22 that was for rat and magpie plinking, but live in an area with possums as well now. As I found the seal had gone on my old gamo, I've just upgraded to a Hatsan 125 vortex .25 cal. Have a scope coming for it. (6-24x50)
  Did think about the Carnivore .30, but the lack of ammunition types (.30) decided me on the .25 cal, and from what I have read, up to around 50yrds, the .25 really doesn't lose much hitting power compared to.
 Only fired one slug through it, compared to cocking and recoil of the gamo? What a beast of a rifle.
   So guess I am open to advice, knowledge about this rifle. Most youtube reviews are on grouping, FPE and FPS, not really much about real world hunting with it. I know accuracy is important, but there may be options for hunting that are close to the JP diablo slugs (that seem popular for target groupings), but give far better hitting power.
 So I can see rabbit and possum shooting being on the cards in the near future as a 'hobby'.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:24am
welcome mate,allways good see new member,not much happening around here at moment for some reason,guess many are just busy trying get life back together after lock down,myself included,not really into springers so dont know much bout them and what ammo works best for them,but there are plenty others who do,some one bound to know what you need.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:43pm
Greetings,

I have a 125 sniper in .25cal it is my prefered choice for rabbits, possums and anything else in my sights. It makes a brilliant hunting rifle and yes the noise of the pellet hitting the rabbit is louder than the rifle going off. JSB Diablo Exacts are the best pellets through this gun. H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme are also very good too.
I have sighted mine in for 40m and with a mill-dot scope i know where the pellets are gitting for 60 and 80m. Furtherest kill shot on a rabbit is 65m so far.
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:46pm
Thank you for that.
Mine is the 'standard' stock, synthetic, so didn't come with a scope. Having read reviews online and youtube, I decided to go for a standard rifle so to fit an alternative. Made one mistake already, bought a CVlife 2.5-10 but it has a one piece mounting, and doesn't fit the Hatsan rail so now waiting on it's 'replacement'.
So it seems the slugs they use for target accuracy are the best hunting ones too, thanks for that info. I've ordered a few different types to play with.  Have you tried the predator polymag's in it? They are one of the option's I have ordered.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:37pm
I got mine without scope. Is your gun the QE version? I haven't tried polymags yet but have seen on youtube them being used through these guns. The JSB's do fire better than the H&N pellets. Once you are happy with a pellet Leave it sighted for it and stick to that type. The H&N group 4 inches below the JSB's at 40m with my gun.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:42pm
It aldo took around 200 JSB's to break in the rifle, now getting a 1.5inch group at 40m and still slowly getting tighter. I need a higher quality scope on this gun. Got s cheap 3-9X50. Dreaming for a side focus ffp
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:51pm
Yes it's the QE version, you can still hear a 'pop', but I gather they are a bit noisier, stiffer to cock etc during the first xxxx shots.
 I was anticipating one or two pellets will be better for the gun, and would have ranged at 40 yds for that one. As the coming scope is mil dot, I'll have some kind of reference. The other had an adjustment for AR15 rounds, and 1,2,3,4 and 500 mtrs as a 'preset' on the turret. the coming one just has the mil dots.  I picked it as the guy on 'my airgun review' (youtube) said he'd had good results with one on a .25. Guess I may have to look at a back-up if I get into hunting, otherwise the CVlife scope will just sit and gather dust.
 I doubt I'll be looking to pop bunnies over 40-50mtrs, so it sounds as if I selected the right rifle for the job.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:51am
big fan of JSB and HN  pellets myself,there  other good pellets out there as well, but very happy with these so i dont bother playing around with others now,preditors work well in my rifles and are very accurate as well,as for scopes the cheaper ones are bit of a lottery,i have had excellent service from Hawk,Airking and evan the cheaper Leapers/UTG scopes on my pcps but dont know how the lighter built Leapers would stand up to powerful springers as i dont own any springers,have found over the years with both firearms and airguns that the lower you can mount scopes to the barrel the less sighting issuses there are as line of sight and bore are closer together and scopes in high mounts are easier to knock out of alignment and can work lose on guns with a bit of recoil over time. the height of buttstock can dictate the scope mounting height too,i am not a receational hunter,like most country boys i am more of a pest shooter,my targets include everything from rats/rabbits/possums/ferrets/feral cats and pest birds like magpies/mynas etc,bassically anything that affects the native wildlife and my free ranging chooks and i am ruthless on all them,i never go anywhere around here without an airgun with me,so i proberly shoot more then most recreational hunters as its an every day thing with me,so am very familliar with the guns i use and know their capablitys very well,have never used a 25 cal yet as have just started work on building my first 25 cal rifle but am dead keen on having rifle in this cal for feral cats having found the 22 cal not allways up to cats,evan with 25.4 gr pellets at 850fps the 22s dont seem to have enough punch once distances get past 40 yds at times,so thinking 30gr 25s at 900fps should do the job better so looking forward to having the 25 due to bigger,heavier pellets at slightly higher velocity and more energy.
 cheers mike 
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:57am
Mike you need to join me in Ashburton district hunting wild cats. I haven't taken a cat with my .25 yet but i agree with you that they are very tough and .22 at long distances dont do much to them. We have had a plague of cats around our block over the years and i would often stalk them for ages untill they were with in 15m for a clear head shot. Baiting them was the best way to get them close
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 6:25am
we have a constant and ongoing problem with feral cats here,had one get in the house few weeks back,the dog took to it and it bolted back the way it got in and missed the cat door by 4inchs hit the glass and broke it and went out the hole it made,mustve hit glass so hard as not easy to break saftey glass eh!!going on blood left behind must hurt its self bad,as hasnt been back and havnt been able to find it,so proberly bleed to death in bush next to house some where,not first one been inside either,shot the last one as my tom cat had it bailed just inside cat door so couldnt get out,a 25.4gr 22 pellet at close to 900fps in head killed it on spot,it was a real big and heavy cat too,every school holidays we seem get more due to so called caring pet owners dumping pets to go on holidays,there allso seems to be a breeding colony of cats some where around here as well ,but have never been able to locate them dispite some the locals and i having organised tiger hunts every now and again,we keep numbers down but never seem to get on top of them,we all got live traps around our places an catch quite a few as well,i do all my serious cat hunting with a little 22lr rimfire double rifle i built many years ago specifically for hunting cats and possums,as it gives me two very fast shoots and handles like a good shotgun,so its deadly on fast moving cats and have more confidence in the rimfire than the 22 pcp guns on these tough to kill critters.good to hear from another tiger hunter.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic