Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCP Pistols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 8:36am
used to cast and swage lot lead projectiles as was a commercial bullet maker for many years allso made jacketed rifle and pistol bullets,used to produce bout 3000 bullets per hour for cast and swaged lead bullets ans bout 1000hour in jacketed depending on type bullets was making could be as few as 1/200 jacketed an hour for jacketed partition type rifle bullets,but havnt made ant projectiles foe some years now but still have some dies for certain swaged and jacketed rifle and pistol bullets for a hand press that i cant find,all my hi speed machinery sold some years ago,and still in nz somewhere but have no idea where now.tiz pity bout posting pcp stuff but i just dont think good idea these days,too easy to get into trouble without a dealers licence these days evan if not breaking the law as the out come can depend on the attitude of the officer you dealing with at the time and their often very bassic understanding of the gun laws,you just cant win with some of them because in their eyes they are the police and therefore allways right,and unfortunately they do have the power to make life very difficult if they choose to,just not worth it mate on open public forum,
 cheers mike 
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 10:56pm
Perfectly valid reasons Mike, think most people with a FAL are trying to do nothing that would put their license at risk. Funny that pcp airguns are limited to subsonic speeds so it takes an expensive rifle and high pressures to match equivalent firearms fpe, .25cal pcp can match a .22lr but at a much higher cost.

No pcp build threads on here might be a good idea, there are other forums to look at for that info..

Mike do you cast your own ammo for your builds, I noticed most websites and all nz sites are sold out of .30cal jsb pellets, could only buy .25cal jsb pellets.. here's some useful pics since you have the skills also to figure out the rest. USA made Noe pellet molds are good but usps aint shipping to nz anymore so we kiwis have to be resourceful.

250_BBT_16in_twist.jpg

Cherry_51gr_bbt_.250_cal.jpg

308_cal_BBT_152_gr_zps0blk15f4.jpg

Edited by Rusty - 15 Feb 2022 at 11:33pm
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:25am
while not illegal to buy sell/repair/modify/build firearms and airguns as a hobby as long as its not part of a busseness,what defines a busseness is a little vague and open to interpretation by an individual police officer and it can be very easy to fall foul of this bit of law if you dont hold a dealers licence,and when factoring in that many in police now believe pcp airguns are more powerful than firearms,and nz police are parinoid bout pistols because they are concealable and pcp pistols dont require a firearms licence as pcp rifles do,we have a situation thats makes it not a good idea to post pics and details bout building pcp pistols particually on public forums which can leave those doing so open to police investigation,which may not end well if they decide that person evan as a hobby is in the busseness of making and selling pcp airguns without the approprate licence to do so,that is why I am reluctent tp post pics and details of any of my airgun projects on the forum,much as I would at times like to share what i do,just dont think for me personally that its a good thing to do,i never do anything illegal but just dont want to accused of doing so the way things are today as it could potentually cost me my firearms licence and guns for something I havnt done,
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 11:06am
I agree Paul - on a custom piece its nice to see how its assembled - screws and all. Shows the thought process and if they are nicely fitting it adds to the quality and craftsmanship! 

There are some clever folk around doing some very interesting things. It is a pity it cant be more widely shown but perfectly understandable that makers want to keep private. 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:41pm
i never rush any my builds,they will take as long as it takes,i spent 6 years on and off working on developing my pcp revolver to the stage it is currently,but its a one of proto type pcp airgun so i will definatly be doing more work on it,nothing major just few little niggly things i want done better,thats the advanage of designing and building your own pcp airguns,they are never completed tho until you are completly satisfyed they are,and evan then later on you may decide to change something,i build pcp airguns ans occassionally firearms becauase i enjoy doing so and simplily because i can,its my hobby and has been for over 40 years,i will proberly die standing at my lathe or mill working on some gun project.    there huge difference between putting gun together with parts you purchased,and designing and hand building a gun from scratch,just as there is huge difference for most in trying to copy a build thread without all the needed information and building the same gun from proper drawings,building guns of any type isnt rocket science but you still need to know and understand what you are building,if you dont the results can be disasterous,facts are a hand built gun can only be as good as its builders skill and knowledge levels like most engineers i am a fussy bugger,things either done exactly right or its binned,there is no second best when playing around at these pressures,second best could kill you.
 i tend to keep my builds running at 3000psi max,never found the need to use higher pressures as i get the power out puts shot counts i need for hunting pistols and rifles in the 2800/3000 psi range with or without regulaters in cals up to 25, i design and make my own hi flow valves for both co2 and hpa,i use a simple one piece valve body i designed,with a cone shaped synthetic poppit exposed to air chamber,with the valve spring behind poppit inside valve body the valve has two stem bushings machined directly into valve body,valve is assembled from front with the synthetic poppit threaded onto the valve stem,these are very simple and easy to make and can be made to suit any tube diameter or caliber,because valve body is parrallel sided they are then easy to modify if needed in lathe
 enuf for this post 
 cheers mike
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:52pm
Thanks for the info on your builds, I get what you mean being reluctant to post builds on the forum now.. what happend to the NZ we useto enjoy and there's a big difference between an engineer building an airgun and someone thinking they can copy a build thread, liability too 3000psi can be lethal to someone that doesn't understand strength of material eng calcs.

My builds will take a while, still have a zx45 milling machine in pieces getting improvement mods, will start making a few parts on the lathe but the breech block and hammer valve will need mill work done.

Target/hunting pistol design will be the focus hence using hpa over ço2, wouldn't even shoot a bird with my stock 2250 not a humane thing to do if you value a clean kill when dispatching pest. My stoger x20 aint even that effective at shooting pests and its anoying we don't still have the use of .25 and .30 cal pcp rifles for pest control without the hassle of police and their fal control.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 7:47am
Interesting stuff, I wish I knew more about it all. Yea, all good Mike, I've been fortunate to have seen your work, so I can survive off that.

I actually like the set screw look. I've always respected materials used and not hidden when they serve a purpose. And you get to understand the designer. Wingman had a good couple of builds on the other forum that were very enjoyable, but it does take time and effort to not only build, but photograph and present them.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 7:36am
i just used 25mm tubing because its close to the origional 2240 tube diameter on guns have built,but it does restrict hpa capacity to approx 50/55 cc evan with 12 inch barrel lengths i normally use for pistols,without regs fitted,depending on power out puts wanted,i can get 12/13 shots from 50 cc in 24fpe range in 22 cal and 4/6 shots in 30/32 fpe range from only 2800psi fill pressures in unreged guns sweet spot with approx 1 fpe over these shot strings.its possible to get significantly higher shot counts from this capacity evan unreged in 12/13 fpe range,depends on what you want and how guns are set up for,i build mostly hunting guns in pistols so want decent power levels,am currebtly building 2x 177 cal target pistols one for bulk co2 the other for hpa,dont plan on reging the pcp at this stage as want to find out how consistant can get velocitys first before decide bout reging it,both pistols will be setup in the 6/8 fpe range,the other reason i use the smaller diameter tubing for pistols is to keep weight and bulk down and because i like the look of the smaller tubing better with pistols,i do have a partly built 30 cal pistol here i used larger 32mm tubing for simply becauase 30 cal uses lot more air,as for the grade alli tubing i use,any those grades with at lest 2,5mm wall thicknes will hold well over 4000 psi saffely proven by lab tests in USA and my tests by myself and others as well,as you said threading for pressure vessels a tricky and very precise job particually using alli but not neccessary up to over 3500 psi,but the machine screw method just dont look as nice i will admit but lot easier to do,hydrolic steel tubing can hold up to 10000psi as many machines today run at this pressure in hydo systems,have seen hpa cylanders on utube made from motor bike front fork cylanders as well,small diameter steel and alli tubing is lot stronger than many think,read somewhere that crosman tests their co2 guns tubing to 3500psi,dont take that as gospel but its proberly correct,think about it the hipacs are just screwed into 2240 co2 tubing and run at 3000psi which means the tubing in front of the hipac is holding 3000psi quite happily.dosnt pay to take these pressures lightly of course they could kill or blow of body bits if got wrong very easily too.Pual you know why i dont post anything bout projects but i am allso bit reluctent to doso the way things are in NZ these days.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:14pm
A build thread would be much enjoyed. It's been so long since anyone did one on a forum.
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 6:41pm
Any reason for choosing 6060 over 6061? Lots of skill to thread a pressure vessel tube correctly the grade 8 6mm cap head bolts seem a good option.

Would only run a rifle on co2 without a fal, I'd like to see what a qb78/2250 hybrid could produce with a better designed hammer valve and 80% bore transfer porting with a .25cal barrel, done a lot of research on qb rifles and will transfer that to a hpa target pistol build. Do you think increasing the main tube diameter to 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" for more volume and better flow into the hammer valve to be an improvement Mike? Stock crossman and qb main tube is 7/8" diameter, I know the weights of the hammers so would just modify their dimensions to keep the weight correct or even lighter if needed.

Might start a build thread to put this info in for others that are interested.

Edited by Rusty - 07 Feb 2022 at 6:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic