Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

JSB Knock Outs 10gr .177

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JSB Knock Outs 10gr .177
    Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 6:39pm
Package just arrived....

Saw these on trademe the other night and had to get some to try.
They have had good reviews on you tube, but up till now I dont believe they have been avalible on NZ.

The only .177 slugs avalible in NZ were Sypdas 13.4gr, but Ive really been wanting to try a 10gr slug.
These have a hollow base, and a decent depth hollow point.

Going to try then in Little Elly at about 12.4FPE, so I'm expecting about 740ish fps or there abouts, and then goint to try them in Emma, hopefully around 1000fps.

So excited to start playing with these!
Will post updates as we go...
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 6:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 11:19am
Very encouraging results so far...
Tried them through two different rifles, one didnt like them, one did.
Had a few rabbit carcasses in the back of my truck from a separate caliber test I'm doing, so put one or two of these Knockout slugs through them... Very interesting indeed!!!
Finally seeing the terminal ballistic performance I've always wanted from pellets, pity its from slugs, but it seems to be there.
More testing and then results to follow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 11:23am
Expanded to 7.3 to 7.8mm (depending on where you measure it.)
If it had been an even round equally radisued mushroom it would have been 8mm wide!
Excellent mushroom.
Recovered from under skin on far side of a rabbits chest.

Two different tests of side on head shots exited completely, BUT, totally destroyed the brain case, literally cracking the skulls into pieces from hydrostatic forces within the brain case!!!
Ive shot hundreds of rabbits through the head with 8.44gr exacts and never seen anything like that before!!!

Edited by RangerPete - 07 Sep 2024 at 11:31am
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 12:21pm
What guns did you test with?
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 2:38pm
Little Elly, an Air Arms S510 carbine doing just over 12FPE, shes the one that wasnt so keen on them.
And Emma, a FX Wildcat. Tried different power levels with the wildcat, and there is definatly an optimum velocity.
I'll chrono the different settings to night and get the speeds they like, but it was not as fast as I was thinking.
Its still fast, but I was thinking they would like screaming sub sonic, fast as you can push them, power wheel 7, turns out its not they liked power wheel 4 and 5. Will chrono tonight.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 2:55pm
nice. ive only ever used the rabbit magnum from H&N. My hatsan didnt like them at all. so that was the end of that lol
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 3:52pm
Chronoed the two rifles and these slugs through the little AirArms are giving around 11FPE, and the FX wild cat on full power is giving 998fps for 21.5FPE, which is what the recovered pellet from under the rabbits skin was doing.
The most accurate velocity was power setting 5, 950fps, 20FPE.

More testing is obviously required, but this could be a game changer for rabbit culling.

When culling rabbits on someone else’s property, my go to set up is a .177 cal, 8.44gr exact pellet doing 813fps for about 12,3FPE. Deadly accurate and comfortable out to 70 yards, can stretch it out to 90y under perfect conditions, but I expect a pass through with every shot because .177’s usually ice pick through rabbits, but I’m comfortable with that amount of energy and choosing my shots carefully.

For very big property’s with more space, my “big gun” is a .22cal 15.89gr hades pellet doing 850fps for around 25FPE. A lot of energy to be sending down range, but the bigger surface area of a .22 slows it down more and with the extra space and Carefull shot selection, I’m comfortable using that amount of power on certain property’s.

But these 10gr slugs, at 950fps giving 20FPE could be the perfect combination.
Flat shooting at those velocity’s, hard hitting at 20FPE and should carry plenty of energy at longer distances with the slugs good BC, but super expanding and mushrooming, dumping all their energy in the target and not exiting a rabbit at 39yards, wow!!!

At closer ranges, I expect head shots to still over penetrate and exit, so Carefull shot selection is still par for the course, but preliminary testing shows DEVISTATING internal damage from slug expansion when compared to a 8.44gr exact.

Very exciting, and more testing to come 👍🏻
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic