Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First semi-serious target shooting the oldHW80K...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First semi-serious target shooting the oldHW80K...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2024 at 1:33pm
Interesting - just went out for a quick couple of mags.

I accidentally left the setting at highest of the 3 - which is where I left it after chrono last time out...after these 16 shots the gauge showed spot on 120 bar.

It is my first group at high power but air tank getting down - either the rifle likes this or I'm improving.

I do feel I'm holding on the bull better but...this is not yet convincing me that the FX C wants more air...I think I'll keep shooting this same tank of air until the groups turn to custard. 

RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2024 at 3:22pm
Looking good!
I'd say on high power it likes the 8.44s
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
JasonEdward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 60 minutes ago at 11:00am
She still shoots on with accuracy!

Just 95 bar left! Yeah time to fill her up but I am VERY surprised she still shoots consistently...
Using high power so maybe that makes her wrestle every last bit of performance from the tank.
I'll do a chrono at this low pressure and then fill her up for the first time - I must have had around 200 shots from the 180 or 90 bar she held when I bought her...

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 35 minutes ago at 11:25am
So it's probably more efficient at high power.
The power wheel is only 3 different sized port holes, so gun uses the same air for each shot, and it's likely that low power just restricts flow and after the pellet has left the barrel, air is still being released, where high power all the air is transfered to the pellet.

Sounds like high power is the better setting, especially if it's more accurate. Too much air disturbance behind the pellet could cause inaccuracy.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 10 minutes ago at 12:50pm
I can see a springer being a thing of the past.
That's great results.
Who can complain about taking that sort of shot capabolity into the field.
Don't know if its any use to you but page 87 of you got to be out there too see, Pauly drew up a graph of the power curve of a pcp pistol I was playing with.
Could be something worth doing with yours if you haven't.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 15 minutes ago at 1:45pm
Yeah mate but the springers are cheap and frankly I went PCP simply because my springers are too heavy for standing shooting - or in spite of my Armstrong name, I'm way too weak. :-)

Both Paul and Pete have been very helpful in advising how to plot a power accuracy curve but so far I'm amazed there is much of either left at under 100 bar...makes me want to keep trying as the tank empties ha ha. Maybe I also need to try low power with low pressure. Hmmmm....stuff the work. Best I do that now.Thumbs Up
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 36 minutes ago at 3:24pm
Well, I just took it down from 95 bar to 60 in 4 mags. Quick shooting 4 mags meant quite loose groups but POI well, I felt hi power as expected, medium about the same, low power went left.

But 60 bar POI/Power/FPS little different from my last chrono with 135 bar which gave Ft/sec 673.8, 820.7, 896.2 with high power at 135 bar 896, today 907.

That 907 at say 80 bar simply cannot be too much under power at max 220 bar surely...and these are averages and now that my Chinese chrono friend has a cardboard coolie hat it is much more reliable.

I think I need a wider section for 50 m trials.WinkLOL 

But yeah, this is all pretty much a bit of fun. Next fill I'll get methodical and try to plot a power curve at High Power, then do Medium and low - if I can be bothered...now I need to do some dusk cruising to find some farmer's doors to knock on. I have already have one paddock in mind I've seen plenty of bunnies in a few years ago during mid-night manoeuvres....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic