Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Night vision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 11:57am
720nm but double check that. Camera shops will have the lenses in genral
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 12:07pm
yes i know all of this. But this is for "daytime" shooting with IR. at night there is not visible light because it is dark. So putting a filter over the lenses to filter out all the light which isn't there anyway because it is dark does not make any sense to me?

Or am i missing something?
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

Putting a sensor with lens directly behind the scope and using a reversing camera gets great results. I compared my old setup with my DNT Zulus, and as long as your sensor is good and lined up well, it'll work well.

What are these sensors you keep referring to? a sensor with lens? how does this work?

Sensor is the small circuit board with the small square bit that the lens focuses the image onto.

You can see the sliver of glass/IR filter over the top. This can be taken off.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 12:32pm
Sounds logical.
Pauly seems to be knowledgeable than me
Try that.
Still
If there is no visable light you can't see at night at all. I. E nothing pitch black.
Night photography on a smart ph requires time, because it pics up the visable light, but it's weak so needs more time for the image.
Exposing the lens may increase the amount visable light that gets to the lens cause wash out. That's my understanding.

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 12:40pm
To answer this. Cameras, like our phones, security all have an IR filter to block IR, as during the day there is too much Infrared light and it would "blow out" the image. So for cameras that are used for night vision, the filter has to be removed. 

If you have ever held a security camera then turned the lights out, you will most likely hear a click. This is the filter being swivelled away.

Kruz, you will experience this when you switch the Sytong between night and day vision.

So for making a DIY unit, it is easier just to remove the IR filter off the front of the sensor. This will make the image "blown out" during the day, but of course you don't need night vision during the day.

Nunga, I have a few sensors and bits and pieces you can have to play around with. Lets trade brass for nightvision stuff.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 12:42pm
Cheers. Makes sence to me.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 12:43pm
This is an old video, but he does explain how things work. I based all my builds off this.

https://youtu.be/4wnNFR99xGI?si=6EMXQp-Cvah3o-AP

Rolaids Bench - Nightvision 101.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 1:16pm
So I'm not sure where he removed the filter?
Looked like he just put a standard camera behind the lens. Or was it a ir camera?
Interesting set up.
Definitely need to bi pod that lot for shooting.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 2:18pm
I have a couple of old mobile phones. might pull one apart and see if i can get to the filter and remove it. if i can do that problem solved. I did try this a few years back with another old camera but i couldnt get a lens for it and the wide angle default lens couldnt focus in the scope but it did pickup IR and was good.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 2:59pm
My understanding grom what I've read,is if it has face recognition, then it's able to pick up ir as that's used to scan your face.
But that's on the selfy camera.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic