Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First semi-serious target shooting the oldHW80K...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First semi-serious target shooting the oldHW80K...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 3:21pm
Looks deadly to me.
Have no dought that grouping will shrink with familiarity.
There's no comparison to a springer, pcp are way better and as you say has the mag.
Looking forward to seeing a few pics and review at some stage.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 3:47pm
That's great. I would recommend giving the barrel a clean and with the mags, lay them on the bench and a very light dusting of silicone spray. This helps lube the O ring and can aid in loading each pellet.

There are the 3 power settings too. So you can experiment with them too. If you use the higher setting I would recommend jsb 10.3 or H&N barracuda. They were what I used when I had one of those.

Makes me miss the one I had.
JasonEdward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 5:26pm
Thanks guys,
I have some Baracudas in 177 (10.65 gr), and yes, have only shot at low power in the back yard so far.  

Any idea at what pressure it's wise to fill the tank to keep accuracy? The rifle had in it and is down to about 150 bar now maybe 30 shots later. I got the Scuba fittings from Ron so no problem there but those who have had a Cyclone likely have some useful info...there does not seem to be a lot online re the Cyclones, but enough I was happy with Paul's recommendation to buy it. 

So far, it's absolutely living up to expectation and I'd expect to do a little better more relaxed but that trigger is set way way lighter than anything I've used before and I'll adjust it for sure because a stray finger would easily fire it at the moment and I've before never had a rifle I worry about accidentally firing due to what I'd call a hair trigger. But easily fixed...

Also the zero recoil is amazing; the first time I fired it when I got home in darkness only the wee "ping" let me know it had fired...I had to have another shot to make sure and I definitely killed one of my carport supports.

RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 7:24pm
Hi Mark,

Glad you are enjoying the new pcp, and yes, pellets can disappear very quickly when you have a bolt action and a full mag

Would be interesting to know what the three different power levels are on your cyclone.
The JSB 8.44 grain pellets are my go to for around 12FPE .177's. Excellent pellets that I have used for many years and have done some extradorinaty things with, even if I do say so my self.

Dont worry about the flyers, they happen. There are a few things you can do to try reduce them, but ultimately you just have to live with one every now and again.

Personally I like a light, TWO STAGE trigger. But I have a habit of only bringing my finger down onto the trigger once I'm already looking through my scope and my crosshairs are already hovering on the target.

PCP's are great, but i do still have a very soft spot for springers. Maybe its nostalgia, maybe its just from their long tradition and history that springers have, but I do love shooting a good quality springer in a hand crafted wooden stock.
Its something special.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 10:12pm
Pete,
My Chinese chrono gave me the following fps from the Cyclone with about 135 bar with the 8.44 Gr Diablos - fps is an average of 2 but I think down from that pressure power is dropping away quite quickly so fps likely to be very approximate:

Low Power: 673.8
Med Power: 820.7
Hi Power: 896.2

It's the only chrono figures I have from the FX but I'll fill it up and test muz V of the Diablos and the Baracudas when i get a chance.

I did a fps test once in low power then lost the data on the chrono with more pressure but but getting down at 155 - ish and from  memory I think it gave in the 220m/s or about 720 f/s. - I later set th chrono to f/s... 

Edited by JasonEdward - 13 Oct 2024 at 10:17pm
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 11:26pm
I had fitted a reg into mine and it was quite a few years ago that I had it, so can't remember some of the details like that unfortunately.

RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2024 at 9:10am
Pauly, from the fact that u fitted a reg into yours, is it safe to assume that the standard cyclone was not regulated?

Mark, those r good figures and a nice versatile rifle.
If it is regulated it will keep those figures from the maximum fill pressure, which is probably around 200 or 230bar, all the way down to where the reg is set, maybe around 100ish bar? (just a guess).

If it is not regulated you will need to work out the “sweet spot”, which is where the rifle performs most consistently as the pressure drops. Just as an example this might be from 190bar down to 130 bar. Once you have worked out where the sweet spot is, there will be no point filling it up to more than 190bar, and you will know that when u get to 130 it’s time to refill.

If it were mine I would use it as follows:
With an 8.44gr pellet 670fps is giving 8.4FPE, which is perfect for plinking at home as well as rats mice, small birds up to dove and myna. Could also do close range head shots on rabbits if you are confident with your accuracy. Usable distance is subjective and depends on your confidence and the accuracy of the pellet, rifle and shooter combo, but out to around 20ish yards would be fine for hunting/pesting. If u r just shooting at fans or spinners, then as far as u want.
At 820fps you are getting 12.6FPE and I would use that for all the above plus pigeons and rabbits, out to 50 or 60yards, assuming accuracy is there.
At 900fps you are getting 15.2FPE which is overkill for the small stuff (but still works of course) and I would use it for everything up to possum size pests, again at distances you are comfortable with.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2024 at 10:50am
Thanks Pete,
No regulator on the older Cyclone. 
My somewhat subjective view is that when pressure dropped down to under 140 velocity/force starts to drop fast - I was missing some plinker steel targets that should have been easy. I'll throw some more lead around with chrono as pressure drops and see what happens...

Paul,
You fitted a regulator to yours... I assume for more consistent shots? You would need more for pest destruction I guess. I'm not yet feeling a need for a regulator but if I was shooting as straight as you expert guys do then it would become more important when pressure drops enough that it's the rifle's fault the groups open out...in which case I have a couple of old dive regulators in good nick I might use.

I think I started with the bottle at around 180 when i bought it and have put around 100 shots through it, all but 4 shots (for the chrono) at low power so my guess is I should expect the un-reg pressure drop to start showing itself.

NB You will no doubt be realising I am a bit of a propellor head and like knowing the stats...so sooner or later in the back yard I'll chrono each power setting as the pressure drops from a full tank and see what happens. I think the China-chrono is working OK but fails and needs a shade with any direct sun at all.

Wireless to phone it don't do and I paid for that and Alliexpress was not helpful at all but hey, it's a cheapie and works as well as I could expect so all good and gives me something to grizzle about - without something to bitch about we can't really be 100% happy right? :-)

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2024 at 10:08am
Yes Pete, not regulated from factory.

Mark, you are on the right track. It's best to fill it to full, which is probably 200 bar +/- Then shoot a complete shot string recording the pellet speed and tank pressure (pressure at end of every mag). In theory the first few shots will be slow, then it will rise, plateau then drop. This will give you a power curve on a graph.

So this will tell you the good working pressure to fill to and how many useful shots to expect per fill for that particular pellet. So filling over 180 bar might actually be a waste of air, and the graph will tell you at what pressure the curve starts to plateau.

Then back that data up with POI drop/rise groups.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2024 at 11:27am
Thanks Paul - that makes a lot of sense and spells out exactly what i need to do. 

But TBH, I need to improve my shooting... at least start using a bench rest which for some reason my very old fashioned hunting trained brain tells me is cheating. Target shooting with low heart beat is just not going to happen in a paddock :-) Why I favour using my front arm and maybe FTT shooting but my arm is very clearly less stable than a rest. But rests are the status quo for much target shooting and it makes sense to do everything to get good groups while learning and especially while testing un-regulated pressure's affect on V and trajectory. I have some sand bags to fill...

Paul is there any other details with that ply bench plan? Maybe a better file? I think it's an excellent idea and just what I need for shotting across the full width of my back yard...    

I'm thinking of visiting the Morrinsville FTT meeting 26th or 27th of next month for a look-see. 

Will any of you forum members be there - it would be good to catch up...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic