Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First semi-serious target shooting the oldHW80K...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First semi-serious target shooting the oldHW80K...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First semi-serious target shooting the oldHW80K...
    Posted: 05 Oct 2024 at 1:29pm
OK, new Timu/Alliexpress (i just can't remember which ha ha) slug catcher, light chip board back board and S/S self-draining fire pit base (AKA a shower tray) behind just in case as I haven't shot like this before at home. I even wore eye protection because I know I should and last time shooting with my son off the deck we had riccochet slugs whistling over our heads and seeming fast enough that eye protection was sensible so I ordered some cheap shooting glasses.

HW80 I think about 6 years ago Ron Young mounted the scope after checking my slightly rusty old newly bought old hand rifle was shooting as it should and I don't think I've adjusted the scope since.

I'm pretty happy with a few quick shots cut short when the rains came. My first attempt at slightly longer range, a measured 18.5 m prone, no rests, hand held open palm, target at ground level so not a very comfy shoot angle. Usually I'm shooting about 12-14 m from the deck hand held but resting on a BBQ table.

Very pleased with first three shots, but also sure I can hold steadier than that with fore-stock rest/bench/whatever. Second three were rushed with rain starting - Anyway, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :-)  But frankly I'm not too unhappy with those rushed shots and I prefer 10 shoot groups ideally if I'm really wanting to properly see if I can shoot because consistent repeatable accuracy is the only accuracy worth having. 

It's little more than a good start but I'm glad on a whim I decided to shoot some lead and test the pellet trap, which does a great job flattening those .22s - you can see some of them on the target. And at least I now know I can hit the target and don't need the shower tray but I will sort a bigger back board that can't riccochet. I think I'll experiment with a solid heavy cardboard box lined at the back with 3 or 4 layers camp bed foam and filled with God knows what at this stage...

With a bench rest I can stretch the back yard range to 22 or 23 m but that's maximum requiring a lot more setup.

I'm stoked, had a good time, and while I need much more practice there's potential and I had a great time during the ten minute sesh. Thanks to you lot on this forum for getting me off my arse and a little more serious about pitching lead around the back yard.

Now it's time to tidy up the house for an esteemed guest visiting tonight.e for a revered guest tonight.

Edited by JasonEdward - 05 Oct 2024 at 1:35pm
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2024 at 4:28pm
Hi Mark,

Well done for getting the first few shots down range.
And well done for getting into the prone position... I cant!
I couldnt be bothered to get down, get up again, get down, get up again... Kills me to lie on my tummy and lift my head up that high to shoulder a rifle. kills my neck.
Gosh I'm getting old and grumpy!

Eye protection isn never a bad idea. I often use it when I'm doing close work like chronographing.
Although with my latest DIY pellet traps I dont feel the need to anymore.
Those cheep little metal pellet traps that you have do the job, but I find over time they get dented and dont last.
They are also loud.
I searched for a long time to find the best pellet trap and tried many things, eventually I have found the one thats best for me. I'll do a little thread on them, they are so easy and cheep and are excellent at stopping pellets.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2024 at 5:03pm
I see you got the inevitable flyer in there. One of the great joys of pellets, one always turns up per group.
Thats all good grouping (flyer discounted) you'll tighten up if that's the start. Just remember if your accuracy starts to go out window, check the tightness of everything on gun, springers jolt screws loose.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2024 at 5:28pm
Dont worry about the targets...when are we taking the boat out fishing? :)
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2024 at 5:42pm
Nunga, I saw that too...
I know how hard it is to find good crew these days, so if you need some fishing crew....
JasonEdward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 2:33am
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

I see you got the inevitable flyer in there. One of the great joys of pellets, one always turns up per group.
Thats all good grouping (flyer discounted) you'll tighten up if that's the start. Just remember if your accuracy starts to go out window, check the tightness of everything on gun, springers jolt screws loose.

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words.I was not at all surprised the last 3 were all over the place had no confidence with those more rushed shots when the rsin was starting.
Good point and reminder - I keep meaning to check the screws and it's time I did.
Cheers
M
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 2:35am
Maybe I need to find some bunnies and you good bastards come to Waihi for a shoot and a fish.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 11:37am
Iā€™m all in for a road trip, some hunting and fishing šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»
Even just a morning spent on a shooting range sending some hot lead downrange with a few like minded shooters šŸ‘šŸ»
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 9:12pm
I have some drawings for making a shooting bench. It can be made from one sheet of 18 mm ply and can be collapsed for storage. So maybe a bench and I find it good having a small bean back supporting my front hand holding the gun. 

I think the measurements are inches, but there should be enough info there to do the job. I am going to make one when I get a sheet of ply. One tip is don't paint the top white, as it will be too glarey.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 1:34pm
Sounds like a great idea Paul.
Quick jig saw job and all go - thanks again for referring me to Tim. Picked up the Cyclone yesterday and had a good yarn with him. Another loss to we Kiwis and a gain for the Aussies when he shifts there...

I'm already finding the FX is way better than I am but can see the huge potential.

I've not even rested/relaxed enough using either the HW or the FX at my newer 18m distance to not see significant heart beat waivers and I'll likely up the trigger pressure - I guess Rod has it set light for quick shooting pigeons. Anyway I'm sure i can improve but the FX is already next level accuracy...

It is already clear getting accuracy is much easier with the PCP but two quick magazines with rain again on starting the second 8 shots and I'm very impressed. A few "flyers" there but frankly I prefer to call them EPs "Epic Failures" rather than flyers...there are no excuses and I can and will do better but you pros and your vids are a fcukin hard act to follow! :-)

And sh*t I can get through a lot of pellets quickly with a bolt action compared to a springer!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic