Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Valve mod - pcp pistol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 11:33am
I would highly recommend the bronze alloy as you have to take into account for bimetallic corrosion if you were to use a screwdriver shaft with a stainless steel seat. it would rust out very quickly or weld itself together. be very careful when mixing your ferrous metals
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 12:02pm
Cool, great info.

In the past, I have used delrin on the shaft which has worked well, but I was thinking of keeping the HP side of the valve stem to a minimum using metal which means the metal head can be made smaller and more streamlined.
I quote some advice given below.
"Therefore you can reduce both major closing forces on the valve:"
1) reducing the static pressure on the valve stem
2) reducing the dynamic pressure on the valve head
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 12:05pm
Interesting thread Pauly.
Is this going to be another crossman modification? And what caliber are you using?
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by RangerPete RangerPete wrote:

Interesting thread Pauly.
Is this going to be another crossman modification? And what caliber are you using?

I am trying to make as much as I can, but will use a Crosman trigger frame and barrel. I have a steel breech which will save a lot of time, but would like to make a custom breech with a straight pull bolt that has a locking action rather than drop into a slot. very similar to my last build. That way I could get a little creative with open sights maybe.

It'll be .22. I do have a .25 cal FX barrel off an old Bobcat, but of course it'll need chopping down, but had thought about using that for a rifle build.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

If it was me doing it i would be looking into 316 stainless for the valve and bronze alloy or brass for the seat. I have both here if you want to play with that. I have 10 and 20mm round 316 bar here. can easily make what ever bronze alloy you want.

Hi, I don't think 316 would be hard enough for the valve stem/shaft, well that would depend of course on how hard you need to hit it and the diameter. FX valve stems (among others) have been known break LOL

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 11:35am
Paul Flick me your address and ill get that bronze sent to you. I will be doing a smelt over the weekend and i will make some bronze while i have the furnace cranked up

BC_Clark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BC_Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 5:20pm
A thing about dissimilar metal corrosion is it depends on the ratio of surface areas of each metal.
A stainless seat in an aluminium airgun could have no issues but an aluminium seat in a stainless airgun
would be at high risk.
Look up the galvanic series and make sure that the most reactive metal makes up the vast majority.

I find 385 brass to be very good for seats. It machines and polishes well. Bronzes can be more tricky.

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 5:49pm
Thats because 385 brass as a lot of lead (around 3%) compared with other types of brass which makes it very good for machining it is also know as free machining brass. But it is a lot softer as well so i dont know how it would handle been used on HPA valve seat.

If you have had good results using it BC_Clark then i would be happy to mix up a batch for you paul, like i said i have everything here and i will be smelting other stuff this weekend anyway.

BC_Clark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BC_Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

Thats because 385 brass as a lot of lead (around 3%) compared with other types of brass which makes it very good for machining it is also know as free machining brass. But it is a lot softer as well so i dont know how it would handle been used on HPA valve seat.

If you have had good results using it BC_Clark then i would be happy to mix up a batch for you paul, like i said i have everything here and i will be smelting other stuff this weekend anyway.

Some of my most powerful and highly stressed valves have been with 385 brass seats
so I can say that normal HPA usage is no challenge.

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 8:26pm
So should I remake that valve seat in brass and the harder material for the moving part of the valve. Poppet valve?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic