Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Night vision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 4:23pm
It's not that hard to make a unit with recording capability.
To be honest the trickiest part is making it practical to use as it sticks out off the scope.

You could set it up so instead of looking at the screen, the image goes to a set of VR goggles, but your vision will only see what the scope sees, unless you switch between pov camera and scope cam.

Roland actually builds that, and while cool, it does restrict you. It's worth a watch.

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 5:00pm
Gee i had a headset  googles  thingy which my son gave me along with a drone. i binned everything because i couldnt get the remote to go. come to think of it the drone came with 3 spare cameras as well.. oh crap. I knew it. As soon as you get rid of something you think you will never use you end up needing it
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 1:21am
Nunga, do u want to video what your scope is seeing while u shoot, during the day, or at night, or both?

I’ve gotten confused reading all of the above 😂
If u want to record during the day u just need a cell phone attached to your scope.
The sun provides ample natural IR light and a call phone is designed to block it out.

If u want to record at night there is no sun, so no natural IR light and no light at all, (obviously it’s dark, it’s night) so u need an artificial IR source, and you also need a camera that can see IR light. A standard cell phone or go pro can’t see IR light, as has been mentioned they have IR filters and will need to be modified.

If you are interested in shooting in the dark with an IR light and camera I have an old IR kit that attaches to a normal optical scope, that I don’t use any more. It has its own IR light, IR camera that attaches to the scope where your eye would go, and a small screen that shows what the camera is seeing through the scope so u can see your crosshairs and what ever the scope is seeing.
In its day it was cutting edge. I’ve shot plenty of rabbits and rats with it. Still works well enough.
Let me know if you are interested.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 9:38am
I am wanting to see through the scope at night without a normal torch for pest control. pretty much for the same reason you were asking about the pigeons lol. I was thinking it would be better shooting them at night when they are nesting as from my experience they do tent to fly away during the day and you only really will get a couple of shots before they figure it out.

Recording would be nice but not a major

I am booked in for friday to do the job and it is the same place as last time so i shall see how it goes for the second time round. 

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 9:57am
https://youtu.be/xCy_d29R6gQ?si=mJnp9V1GAhKL6R29

Nunga, if you want to look through your scope at night, you will need something like the Sytong HT88 or Pard NV007.

If you can get a compact camera or phone mounted onto the scope, you will need to remove the IR filter.

If you go the DIY route, it is easy to mount a sensor with a small lense onto scope, but you still need to see the image and a small reversing camera screen is easiest, as small viewfinder screens are pricey unless you can reuse one from an old cam corder.

Video above shows my original build. It works really well and even has a mini dvr recoreder built in.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 10:07am
Yeah i did see that video. It was interesting. ive also seen a similar one where he used his phone as the screen and at the same time the phone also powered a usb camera which was mounted on the scope. I have the usb conversion cable here (i think) i also might have an old laptop webcam which i converted to run off a usb cable as well. I dont really want to spend any money if i can help it. It is a good challenge to see if i can get this to work with crap i have laying around the house

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 10:25am
I will have a look at what I have. Pretty sure I have some sensor boards, lenses, battery holders and a couple of reversing camera screens. Generally need around 8 - 12v.
So let me know if you need anything as it's just sitting in my parts box collecting dust.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 11:10am
An old phone with face I'd will give you an ir camera.
From Wikipedia:The Face ID hardware consists of a sensor with three modules; a laser[4] dot projector that projects a grid of small infrared dots onto a user's face, a module called the flood illuminator that shines infrared light at the face, and an infrared camera that takes an infrared picture of the user, reads the resulting pattern, and generates a 3D facial map. This map is compared with the registered face using a secure subsystem, and the user is authenticated if the two faces match sufficiently. The system can recognize faces with glasses, clothing, makeup, and facial hair, and it adapts to changes in appearance over time.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 11:12am
It will also have the software to interpret ir light.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 11:52am
Thanks Paul.  Kruzaroad, the only problem with face id hardware on the phones is the camera for this is on the front camera the same side as the screen so the screen would be facing the scope and you wouldnt be able to see anything lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic