Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Night vision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night vision
    Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 7:39pm
To all you guys that have your night vision i have a question with cameras and so forth.

Im trying to get my phone mounted to my scope. Ive 3d printed a adjustable clamp which works well. I have a infra red spotlight left over from a security camera setup i instilled for a client a few months ago. It has a 50mtr range and works fantastic with the cameras. But when i test it outside in the dark with my phone it doesnt see sh*t. same with my gopro...nothing. My question is what do you guys use to see through your scopes? Ive seen your videos on youtube with the night time shooting looks really cool but i just cant seem to get it to work.

If i shine the infra red spotlight directly into the phone camera or gopro it sees the light as purple
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 8:43pm
The night vision scope I have has a memory card slot for footage.
I've never used it bit I'm assuming it's taking its information from the screen display data stream.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 8:47pm
Found this on web

That's right! Your regular DSLR could very well be an infrared photography DSLR. If your digital camera is sensitive to infrared light, then all you need is an infrared filter (just as with black and white infrared film) and you're good to go.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 7:22am
You might find it has an IR filter.

When I had used sensor boards to make my NV I always had to remove the IR filter which is usually a slightly tinted looking piece of glass over the sensor. This makes it very sensitive to IR. 

So unfortunately I don't think phones work well for NV setups due to this filter.
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 9:13am
Hi Nunga, you get a black and white image with Pard and Arken Zulus. The sensors on these are recognizing IR wavelength light (outside of visbile light spectrum). Your phone and GoPro sensors are detecting visible wavelength (i.e. replicating what a human eye sees). They may not be able to detect / record IR light.

https://paulillsley.com/GoPro_Infrared/
"GoPro cameras have a filter installed inside the camera to block infrared wavelengths from reaching the sensor, but often these internal filters aren't 100% effective and do let a small amount of infrared information through."

Googling the same for a smartphone camera indicates most also have IR filters - but perhaps not on both the front and back cameras.

Cheers
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 9:23am
Yeah from my research i have been doing over the last few hours has come up with pretty much the same thing. I have seen people putting old floppy disk drive film over the camera to block out the light and only let in the infrared rays..but these people use it in the direct sunlight so i doubt it would work at night with my infrared spotlight

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 10:05am
Putting a sensor with lens directly behind the scope and using a reversing camera gets great results. I compared my old setup with my DNT Zulus, and as long as your sensor is good and lined up well, it'll work well.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 10:24am
Ir clip on lenses for smart phones, designed to filter out visable light so as it doesn't over ride the senors for ir light are cheap as chips
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

Putting a sensor with lens directly behind the scope and using a reversing camera gets great results. I compared my old setup with my DNT Zulus, and as long as your sensor is good and lined up well, it'll work well.

What are these sensors you keep referring to? a sensor with lens? how does this work?

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2024 at 11:48am
Phones can pick up ir.
Ir lenses filter out most visable light so the camera sensor ( the part in the camera/ph that the lens focus light onto, that is light sensitive and converts light into electrical data, previously the job of film with one pixel doing not quite as well the job of a grain on film)
Isn't overwhelmed with light that overpowers the ir light.
You should probly look up smart ph camera apps too. Some are designed with ir light programs incorporated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic