Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Sub16 comparison.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Sub16 comparison.
    Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 12:21pm
I’m working on a video doing a comparison of .177, .22 and .25 calibers as far as penetration and energy delivery go, but to be able to compare apples with apples, I’ve set all 3 rifles at just under 16FPE, so it is going to be a “Sub16 comparison”.

So far Im testing the .25cal.
Took 3 head shots, recovered the carcasses and investigated.
Recovered 2 of the 3 pellets, sitting in the brains!
Wow. I am impressed!
That is exactly the performance a pest controller wants.
Delivers all of its energy and does not exit 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 8:27am
Yea, it'd be interesting to see the different calibres delivering the same energy, and the result.
So is it possible that if you had taken the same shot with a .177, would it have passed through?
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 10:16am
Hi Pete,

You've probably seen this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTZGOMSMUk

It may be of interest with your latest investigations? Fascinating stuff! Big smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 12:40pm
Pauly, Ja, in my experience .177, even in lower FPE, ice pick their way through a rabbits head even at longer distances. I guess it comes down to resistance, pressure per square mm???
Like compairing pushing a needle through a potato (.177), compacted to a knitting needle (.22), compaired to trying to push your finger through a potato (.25). U can apply the same amount of force to all 3 (sub16FPE) but some will pass through easier and others are going to deliver more energy and require more energy to pass through.
I was quite surprised to recover those pellets from the brains, I wasn’t sure what the .25cal would do, was half expecting them to pass through, pleasantly surprised that they didn’t!

Myson, interesting video. I have seen it a long time ago, but from bow hunting experiance and also from shooting big heavy charge stopping caliber rifles with 500 or 550gr monolothic bullets, I know that heavier projectiles might start of a bit slower, but the further they go the better their performance gets (compared to lighter weight projectiles) they lose less speed and hit harder at the target.

My hunting arrows are 750gr!!! Comparatively slow, but they have so much inertia, they stop for nothing and go stright through everything 😂😂😂

To translate that into what I’m compairing with these 3 calibers, they all leave the mussel with just under 16FPE, the .177 is doing 920 fps, the .25 is doing 519fps, but at 100y the .177 is down to 4.2FPE, and the .25 still has 7.8FPE . Not quite double, but close enough 😳
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 12:50pm
So you going off muzzle energy? Or are you going to set target for thier fpe being the same at target?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 1:13pm
No. Too complicated to get rabbits to stand sill at such specific distances.
I’ve taken a more practical and more “commonly encounter by hunters” approach.

Ive got the 3 rifles set up as follows .177 15.9FPE, .22 15.6FPE and .25 15.9FPE at the muzzle.
To get 3 rifles set up with their preferred pellet, and tuned to be accurate, while all being with in 0.3FPE of each other is a feat in its self.

I’m then going to try and document, recover and autopsy 3 head shots and 3 chest shots with each caliber.
Planning to try get one head shot and one chest shot with each caliber at 30ish, 40ish and 50ish yards, then comlpair how many FPE each had at the actual distance the shot ended up being taken (according to a reputable balistic calculator) and what its terminal performance was.
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 5:36pm
Pete - There's a chap called Gary Wain in the Airgun World magazine who has completed countless trials on pellet penetration / trajectories that you might like to read up on.....

He talks a lot about Sectional Density, Ballistic Coefficients, etc... and has done some very interesting comparisons on many different types of pellets, at various ranges, in various conditions, etc...

He uses everything from pig heads to ballistic gels / clays  - with chronographs at muzzle and target - to clarify pellet ballistics and performance. Excellent stuff!

Unfortunately, he does not appear to be on Youtube so you'll need to source some of these magazines if you're interested in reviewing his articles. I have a pile here that you are welcome to when you're next passing through the Manawatu. He's well worth a read if you haven't come across him before?

PM me if ever you're coming down this way.... 

PS: Overall, after 2 years of trials, he concluded that the standard dome-shaped diabolo pellets in any calibre are the most effective at accuracy and energy transfer for hunters. I think he now is doing similar work with slugs... but I've stopped my subscription because of recurring shipping delivery failures between UK and NZ. Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 7:19pm
Hi Myson,

I'll look him up.
His work sounds very interesting.
I love terminal ballistics, I could study it like a science, just wish I could get someone to pay me for doing it...
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 7:22pm
I just ran his name. A lot of stuff came up.
He's still part air magazine i think it was

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 12:32pm
Holy moly... fricken cats!!!!

You have no idea how many cats I see out there at night.
Nothing can hide from the thermal. If it's in plain sight of my eye, i.e. not hiding behind something, I can see it.
I can see a mouse at 100m, which you wouldnt be able to do in broad day light with the naked eye, too far and too small, but with the thermal at night I'll see it.
I see cats out there every night.

And i'm getting sick and tired of them stealing my rabbits that I collect and leave somewhere so I can pick them up later on my way out for necropsys to workout pellet performance and terminal ballistics.
Shoot 15 rabbis, recover maybe 3 or 4 (selective depending on shot distance, shot angle, location of rabbit, ease of recovery in the dark, electric fences etc),after losses to cats I might get 1 or 2 home.

Ive had cats come in and steal the carcass before I could even get to it to recover it.
The head shots are better because the rabbit drops right there, silently.
The heart lung shots attract cats, the distress calls and death shreak are like a dinner bell to a cat.
If there is a cat with in 50m of a dying rabbit it will come running. Dying pigeons attract cats the same way.
Ive even had carcasses eaten in the back of my UTE.

Fricken cats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic