Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Bow hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PSE Coalition Frontier crossbow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 11:32am
Some eye candy for you Kruza…
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 11:45am
Massive! Looks like big critters are in just as much trouble with you on a bow as the pests are with you on a pcp!
Dam big carp! Hamilton out of the Waikato?
Dude do you want to do a thread and blurb about bow fishing, what set up you use and any tips?
Its something I've always been curious about, but never really looked into.
Appresiate it if you have the time.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 12:01pm
Can do. I’ll try get around to it in the next few days.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 12:13pm
Any time is fine.
Its something I want to try in a swimming hole on farm on couple of introduced fish here.
Type shall remain unnamed for now.
I'm so out of pratice and arnt sure how I'll handel a bow, or even how I'll go pulling
a bow string, since I lost ends of 2 of me fingers. But dam with pics like you put up I'm keen to see. Old memories of the fun of bow hunting goats.
But reality is won't be trying bow fishing for a while.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 12:40am
You really don’t need to pull heavy poundage for a fishing bow. You are only shooting like, max 5m.
40 pounds is really more then ample for any type of fresh water fish and 90% of any salt water species.
Unless you plan to take on a sailfish or a huge king-ie… in which case, good luck with that 😂
But for carp, even that big grass carp I shot, 20 or 30 pounds is ample.
If you are almost “starting over” again, there is no reason why you couldn’t teach your self to shoot “other handed” 😂.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 6:25am
That's not likely to happen. There's a trigger release system for the string I've seen if I really need it.
Whats your spool set up, line weight, how does it attach to the shaft, arrow weight, head type. Do you think a spool on recurve would effect it much, compound bows seem better set up for a spool mount.
I'm not even sure if you aim above or below the fish,
Is there any tactics to stalking a fish to be aware of. Like would a fast lift aim be enough to scare bigger fish out a few meters out from bank. How much does an arrow deflect in a river if it has current. You know totaly newbe stuff. Bow fishing for dummies basically, because when it comes to bow fishing that's just what I'll be. Do you bow fish in the ocean? I'm assuming that's from the around the rocks onshore or does chumming off a boat work. What's your best shot and fish battle.
Whats it like trying to bring a badley shot fish I imagine you run the risk of pulling the shaft out, are gloves a good idea to wear for pulling the line on bigger fish.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 4:16pm
That bow is looking very Matthew's?

Crazy how accurate compounds are these days. I took a mate to Arrowhead archery in Darfeild last Thursday and he got kitted up with a PSE Brute. First time archery for him.

Edited by Billbobnz - 04 Aug 2024 at 4:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:00pm
Very Mathews indeed….and I do love it.
So dead in the hand on the shot.
I’ve got stupid long arms with a 32inch draw length, so I’m limited on the selection of bows that fit me, but I do love my Mathews Atlas 👍🏻

Edited by RangerPete - 08 Aug 2024 at 9:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic