Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weihrauch HW97 Blackline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weihrauch HW97 Blackline
    Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 5:51pm
I picked it up today, won't get to test properly for a while, but will add as I do.
First impressions.
Bloody heavy.
Totally comfortable to hold and naturally cheek wields, steady.
It is cut away either side of the breech for easy left hand loading.
Which for me missing half my trigger finger and middle finger on right hand will make loading so much easy. A feature I wish the tx had. Has three solid holes alond reciever for scope locks. Nice.
Has deep thumb and shooting finger grooves.
Roomy pistol grip thumb space. Due missing fingers this is a huge bonus, I can put some of the weight on my thumb directly, and area under the stock. Lifting my next finger full, to the trigger it sits just in the end of the trigger finger groove and lines it up for the trigger awsome. Would be a deamy hold with a trigger finger. The end of groove where the lever comes too, sits right where my pointer finger touches the stock on the fore end . Going to make the same hold much easier with a tactile marker point.
Gold trigger is bit blingy, but sets the gun off. Has built in suppressor.
Thats about it. Haven't shot or put scope on it, even cocked it.
I'm happy as with how it feels to hold and looks. More next week when I a scope on it and test it.

Edited by kruzaroad - 12 Mar 2024 at 5:57pm
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 9:10pm
Nice one Kruz. Yes, they are solid guns, but they handle well I reckon.

You can take the end cap off and install wadding or baffles. I never did it, but it might make a difference. I think it's an 8mm allen key to undo it.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 9:15pm
Trigger mod I did on mine.
http://www.kiwiairgunners.co.nz/forum_posts.asp?TID=237&PN=1
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:43am
Oh is it just an expansion chamber?
I haven't even looked at the manual, let alone fired it yet.
Joys of my job. Just want sleep and get things done on night off.
I'll get probly have to install some sling studs on it as weight will become an issue as the it was with the tx.
Need to buy another chrono to for testing as well.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 3:55pm
They are beautiful guns, the 97KT is my one day springer, my holly grail.
I’ll be interested to follow your progress with it, keep us posted 👍🏻
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 9:03pm
I've got cometa exact jumbo for it at 15.90gr.
I asked David (Airguns NZ) what he would recommend by what his customers were getting for the hw97.
He came back with ftt or the above.
I've found that the 16gr weight approx pellets have been what I've ended up with all of my .22 so went for that weight.
I've had good results with ftt but think they are a bit light. So I'll be keen to see how the exact go and fpe produced. using them.
Hopefully next 24 hour break, I'll get the wulf scope on and I'll buy a chrono this week do a bit of intial breaking in and chrono testing during the process next tuesday.
Be a while till get out hunting with I think.

Edited by kruzaroad - 13 Mar 2024 at 9:05pm
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 8:24am
JSB exact have always been my go to for most air rifles, so I was surprised when the wildcat prefered hades.
I see there is now also a monster hades, but it seems extreamly heavy.
By all accounts H&N should be good, I have a lot of faith in the Germans, so the FTT or the baracuda should be 👌🏻
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 12:34pm
So I got the wulf fireball mounted. Still looking at other scopes, but the wulf is a good scope and if it works out may keep it on.
.1° off dead center, but just couldn't it to sit perfect as I tightened it.
Sport match scope mounts. There was a hell of a lot space in the recoil pins holes and I was surprised how much I could move the back mount with the pin inside the hole. Still it's sitting tight against the back wall of the middle hole.
There are no level surfaces along the piston cylinder or barrel mount to put a level, so had to settle for the level area on the stock at the back of cylinder.
The sig has a flat area above where the pellets go into the barrel. It's a marvellous place for leveling the rifle and you know your setting the sight to the barrel.
Shut my eyes lifted the gun to a comfortable shooting position, then opened my shooting eye, till I had the scope retical presenting a full round circle every time.
I cannot get over how comfortable this rifle is for me to shoulder. Leaves the tx and the sig for dead. Best cheek wield of any rifle I had so far. Really well balanced. Feels nose heavy when carrying one handed, but once that other arm goes up and sits the fore stock in my hand the ballance is perfect in a standing position.
Took it into the house and and pointed at the white wall and adjusted the retical till the cross hairs and mildots were sharp and crisp.
This took a few lift and raises to get it so it was crisp as soon as I put it to my eye and my eyes didn't have to adjust to get the sharpness.
Thats when the torn muscle in my arm reminded me I have an injury. So that's it for now. Totally bummed perfect day for sighting in but I need this heal well. As I said boss when suggested I just drive a auto truck instead of manual instead of taking time off.
You can get f#*ked, this is my shooting arm and I'm not risking it for anything.
So probly put it away for the day. Sigh.
But so far ( having never shot or even cocked the gun) I'm very happy with its ergonomics and ballance. Looking forward to the feeling the trigger action and what its cycle action is like through the firing process.
Still good things take time. 😕
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 2:23pm
It's looking good. I'm even excited for you to fire it.

You can take trigger block out and do adjustments on the trigger by cocking and firing just the trigger block. The anti bear trap mechanism stops you from being able to de - cock the 97, and it is simple to remove. I've had 3 separate 97's, removed them on all and never had an incident.

If you do take trigger block out, it's just 2 pins, but look out for the safety and it's spring, along with a nut that the trigger guard screws into behind the trigger blade. And you need to have the trigger cocked when reinstalling the trigger block back in.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 2:40pm
Couldn't resist and clean barrel, fired 3 shots.
I found the push button lock and cocking arm easy to use and no real effort.
The whole cocking motion is pretty smooth strait from box.
Should get better as it wears in.
Doesn't feel as smooth and fluid as the tx did.
Still a nice action, no bear trap is a bonus.
Ability to load from left hand side made process so much better(for me)
Easy to locate pellet and press it in by finger.
Trigger was set sweet on factory. Precise and crisp and very predicable.
By the third shot I had the travel and break sussed. Absolutely love the trigger.
It hit the post at about 30m and the tree stump at about 60 with an audible whack.
No idea exactly where they hit, scope was still zeroed for sig.
Hidious twang. Absoulty gawd aful and will have to be sorted if it hasnt settled down after break in.
Over all first are positive. See what smooths out as it wears in.
Happy so far.
Oh and it seems to have a very short sharp piston stroke on firing.

Edited by kruzaroad - 23 Mar 2024 at 2:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic