Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New in ChCh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpreou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New in ChCh
    Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 4:56pm
Well, kind of new. Used to shoot rabbits back in the UK some 35 years ago.
Just looking at getting a rifle / scope initially for backyard plinking with the little fella (12 in a few months), and then maybe we go out hunting a little later if we are any good at groupings!
Just researching and seeing what the state of play is. Way back I had a BSA Airsporter with an 'Ox' square mainspring (which was over the legal limit for the UK at the time, but...), and a Webley (? I think) pistol specific model I can't remember.
I'm picking up that Gamo should be probably avoided, but still looking into others like Air Chiref and Umarex and others that I see on the GunCity website.
Cheers

--
Jeff
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 7:37pm
Welcome to the Forum. If it were me I wouldn’t dismiss buying one of the youth model Gamo for plinking.
If you were looking to spend quite a bit more money, then perhaps consider a Weihrauch HW30S . Cheers. Declan.
Sorry, I should have added - I’d be a bit cautious about plinking outdoors at home, unless that is you live in an isolated area.

Edited by Declan - 24 Feb 2024 at 8:13pm
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 9:47pm
Welcome along.

If your looking at using it for eventually hunting with I would be saving up for a better gun than the air chiefs and umarex, I have had a few umarex guns but eventually sold them off as I couldnt control the groupings. That said the later umarex guns may be better.

Guncity often have second hand guns so pay to pop in and see what they have.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 11:59am
Hi and welcome,
Gamos are generally to be avoided if possible, they have terrible triggers.
That said I got a Gamo delta fox for my son, (11yo) and for plinking out to 20m it is perfect for him.
If u wanted a gun for possible hunting further down the line then as has been said already, look for a good quality gun.
There is no such thing as a bad Weihrauch, and it will last for ever, your son will probably one day teach his kids to shoot with it 👍🏻
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 12:32pm
Gday,

You could consider the Air Chief CR600w. It is CO2 rifle, so you will end up having to buy canisters, but it's lightweight and probably quite good for your little fella for learning. But that said, if you learn on a springer, you will end up with a good technique, and my first thought was an HW30 as well.

I have never fired a cheaper springer that had a good trigger. They will be out there, but i'd recommend trying them first.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 1:22pm
Hi. I'm not a gamo fan, tainted by a bad gun.
However mercs who has a sig and probly other higher end guns, does have gamo rifles and uses them to good effect. To blanket wipe them out of contention is probable not fair as they appear to have some very usable guns. Would advise caution if going gamo and doing your home work on them before buying one if you go that path.
There is also the pumper option. The 13xx range with a stock added is a very light gun, good size for younger shooters, light to pump and as with Co2 or pcp doesn't have the springer recoil.
Though I agree with the springer improving your shooting skill, accuracy and hitting the target is much easier with the other sort. Kids get encouraged faster with quick resaults.
Once enthused then a more powerful springer, with a more refined hold needed for mastery, would be less likely to end up on the back shelf.
jpreou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpreou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 6:06pm
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, I'm in an urban setting. I'm planning on making a large 'backstop' from plate steel and thick ply. Probably something around 1.2m x 1.6m to sit behind a standard target. At 20m you'd have to work really hard to miss that, and no way would an airgun pellet get through it. At least, not from what I remember, and from the design I have in mind.
The other option is a 30 min drive to a friend's place that has some land, but I can't always do that as he is very busy and away a lot.
I remember Weihrauch rifles being around when I was a teen, so I guess their doing something right is they'll still considered good.
I'm probably looking at spring first, before the usually extra dollars for CO2 or pump. I also like the sound of the BSA GRT Comet Evo Silentium, though not to sure about that 'synthetic' stock.
I think I'll get a cheap plinker for the little guy, just to get started, so I don't spend too much at the outset until I know he's 'into it' and then if he shows commitment and passion I can consider something better. We'll also both know a little more by then.
Cheers all.
--
Jeff
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 11:49am
There is definitely a reason why Weihrauch is still in demand; build quality is great and performance is always great too. Accurate & well built with one of the best triggers on a sporting air rifle.

Modern BSA spring rifles are really just Gamos, perhaps they have a little better advantage with a BSA barrel, but they arent built to last and they have a heavy trigger.
If you are going full size then you can look at the likes of Cometa Fusion or Fenix; another spanish made brand but better than gamo - nice trigger once adjusted for a crisp letoff, accurate and high power for future pest control.

If you have the budget you could look at the Weihrauch HW50 (also called HW99 in UK), well regarded rifle that is a little easier to handle than full size rifles, but not too small to be awkward to use for adults either.
Power is around UK limit - 12 footpound, so cocking effort is managable for a 12 year old, or supervising adult, but enough power for future hunting its ok for rabbits and birds.
Trigger is their famous Rekord trigger - adjustable and can be made nice and light and predictable.

If a rifle is easy to cock, easy to shoot, recoil not too hard, accurate - hell have a great time and likely remain interested in the sport.

multipump pneumatic is a good option, but you cant beat - one cocking action, one shot with a springer - multipump may become fatiguing or less reward for the effort.

Co2 is good fun, a little more maintenance if seals go, and changes in point of impact on hot days vs cold etc, but he'll find it cool to use once you add a suppressor etc.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
G34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote G34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 12:05pm
Reference your backstop - it will stop pellets but it will be noisy! I'd suggest a "quiet" trap using packed in rags, or rubber chip so you don't irritate the neighbours. I'd also suggest being proactive and advising your immediate neighbours that you will be shooting an airgun into a VERY safe target box and the noise will be minimal. Saves them later saying the noise was "frightening" and getting you in trouble with the Plods.
Empasis on the fact you are pre warning them and not asking for permission.
jpreou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpreou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 12:06pm
Thanks for that JS Airguns
Yeah, further reading showed the link between BSA and Gamo which made me 'think'.
As I mentioned above, thinking something 'cheap and easy' to start and verify his real interest or just a passing 'fad' before spending more money. But if we're 'into it' then I think Weirauch definitely at the top of the list. Some very nice rifles there, especially the 95.

Thanks to everyone for the useful and interesting responses and suggestions. Looking forward to getting sorted. Cheers.
--
Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic