Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mk2 Meteor refurbishment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 11:05pm
That's looking good.
đź‘Ť
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 11:32am
The painting is complete and the stock receives its daily rub down with bees but all else is on hold. I’ll post again when work recommences after the parts arrive. Declan.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 2:51pm
I know you didn't need it, but if anyone wanted this, let me know.

Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 3:21pm
Thanks Pauly.PM sent accepting your offer. Cheers. Declan.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 11:49am
The refurbishment is complete. For guidance the price of seals and mainspring is in the range of $60 to $70 inclusive of shipping.
Paint etc is additional.
Bearing in mind that these guns were more about plinking than hunting its not a (modern) powerhouse, however they’re ok of shooting small prey such as rats.
The chrono readings shooting JSB Exact 8.44 pellets are:
201.8, 200.9, 201.6, 200.1, 201.6, 201.8 and 200.7 metres per second. This is the advertised velocity for when the gun was new - which is pretty good for a 60 year old with leather piston seal. Cheers. Declan.

Edited by Declan - 03 Apr 2024 at 12:14pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 1:32pm
That's sweet.
Looks good.
At 7 fpe it would make a sweet bird gun for under and around the trees.
How accurate is it.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 12:57pm
I will probably get to the range over the next month or so to check the accuracy. But with these old airguns it is more about nostalgia and enjoying fixing one up than getting an accurate shooter. When this model first came out good accuracy was ctc1.5 inches at 25 yards. If you got lucky you might get one that shot 1inch groups.
These oldies are no match for the accuracy of today’s modern springers such as an HW30S.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 2:38pm
I agree with you there Declan. The business I work for has a Meteor that was purchased 33 years ago before I started here, and I always thought it was the bees knees with it's 15mm telescopic sights.

Once I got into airgunning properly and did shooting jobs, I just used my own guns. A few years ago I give the Meteor a going over and found it to be fun to shoot, but not accurate as you say. I haven't shot it for ages now, but from memory it was the trigger that is probably what lets it down a lot too.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 5:29pm
.22 MkII Meteor 1962 - 1966.
Taranaki family wanted this to be passed on to someone that would use it, so myself and another club member took it on. New spring and seals otherwise rifle is as found. Mounts and Tasco Scope added so it could front up at the 25 yard range.

Edited by mercs - 08 Apr 2024 at 5:34pm
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 2:16pm
Nice. Very commendable of you to service and shoot the gun for the family.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic