Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mk2 Meteor refurbishment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mk2 Meteor refurbishment
    Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 11:05am
I purchased an old Mk2 BSA Meteor .177. From the photos it looked to be in reasonable shape, but on arrival it was in pretty rough condition. But just the same I decided to retain the original 55 year old look.
However after cleaning it up I reckon that it would be better to do a full refurbishment. So instead of hanging onto the past 55 years I’ll make it so it will last another 55 years.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 12:06pm
Does it have leather seals at that age?
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 1:13pm
Yes, leather piston seal with rubber/synthetic breech seal.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 8:34am
Have you got spare seals? I made a mold to make new seals from leather a while ago. and even have a seal I made. I can check the size, and if you need it you can have it.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 11:48am
Thank you Pauly.That’s very generous of you. As luck would have I have a spare seal left over from the days when my daughter had an old Meteor. Cheers. Declan.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 11:22am
I’ve completed the dis-assembly of the MK2. The big surprise was that the mainspring guide was broken, with both ears completely snapped off. This is something I’ve never seen before. The mainspring was dry so I assume it wasn’t able to rotate and caused the ears to snap off.
I’ve ordered a new part which should arrive in a few weeks.
The good news is that there was no metal dross on the leather piston seal.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 12:04pm
A brief update - those in the know are aware that from the Mk2 onwards Meteor metal work was painted gloss black. As time passed the paint chipped and rust set in.
Over the past couple of days I begun to prepare the metal components for painting. The full process usually takes me about a week.
More to follow.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 12:14pm
Any pics of said effect.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 3:45pm
Happy to put up pictures but just not yet. I’ve learnt from experience it’s best to minimise the handling of prepared steel until after the final coat of paint is applied, dried and cured if you want a great finish. I’m applying a gloss paint but not black.
If I get time tomorrow I will post about how the stock is progressing. Cheers. Declan
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 3:30pm
Although the Mk2’s hardware is being given a new look I’m attempting to save the stock’s patina that was built up over the decades. This means that I cannot use any abrasive materials on it.
My first step was to clean off the dirt and grime, then remove the green and white paint splatter. This took a couple of days work using a damp soapy rag along with turps to remove the paint.
After this work was complete I applied a daily coating of bees wax which I worked the way into the bare wood.
The worn parts of the stock are starting to darken as the wax is absorbed into the wood but it is going to take a long time to get the stock looking aged but sort of attractive.

Edited by Declan - 29 Feb 2024 at 3:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic