Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help - Some advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 2:48pm
I think you need to show us the rifle... we're all keen to see a project take shape

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 7:43pm
Thanks for the replies everyone. The Mk2 BSA Meteor arrived today. When my wife saw it unpacked it nearly made the trash can as a heap of junk.Fair go to her it did really look like a heap of junk. If it were a vintage car I’d liken it to a barn find.
However I reckon that it’s worth saving and retaining as much of the original patina/ character as I can.
So the decision is - replace the internals with new parts, but retain it’s cleaned up original cosmetic look. It will never be a valuable airgun which means I need to work to a tight budget.
I’ll start a new post in the next few weeks to keep you all updated. Cheers. Declan.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 8:50pm
Awesome Declan, dive in boots and all. Custom air seals have piston seals I think for that model if needed.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 9:00pm
I have an old Gamo that is one of several unfinished projects and if it shoots any good when it's all together it'll go to my grandson.  It's cleaned up very well but the stock is what may be of interest.  It was originally coated with a mid-brown lacquer of some sort that was pretty scratched up.  I decided to have a go and stripped the bulk of it off with paint stripper (2 coats), then scraped off the residual and sanded it back to clean timber.

I then finished it with 5 coats of Trueoil applied with a small piece of cloth.  The finish isn't perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than what I started with.  It really wasn't hard to do and didn't take a great deal of time.

FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 8:24am
Thanks for the stock info. Definitely food for thought.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 1:26pm
Sweet project by the sounds of it. Basic rifle, if you restored it it wouldnt be worth a whole lot. so agree; clean it up and try for performance.

Ive got a BSA mercury coming that has aparently got a seized piston - externally nice but buggered inside. so that will be a bit of a fun "get up and going" project
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 5:31pm
The Mercury is a really nice rifle. I look forward to your updates. Cheers. Declan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic