Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help - Some advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help - Some advice please
    Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 8:13am
I’ve acquired a 50 year old springer as a project gun. I plan to refurbish the internals by replacing the mainspring, seals etc etc so that it shoots like new one. What I’m unsure about is do I also get the appearance looking like new.
Back in the day I’d have completed the cosmetic work along with the internals so the the gun looked and shot like a new one.
However it’s been some time since I’ve worked on a project gun and I’m wondering if I still do what I’ve traditionally done and get it looking like a new one - or is the modern trend to give the exterior a clean up and retain the patina built up over 50 years of use.
Your advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks. Declan.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 9:15am
Sounds like good fun.

I've never done a refurbishment like that. I like seeing what others do, but personally, I have no problem with "patina", opting for performance, or correct operation. Making it look new again is quite an art. So I look forward to a new thread hopefully.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 2:16pm
From 2021
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=188610.0
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 3:10pm
http://www.kiwiairgunners.co.nz/forum_posts.asp?TID=653&KW=hw77

This was my biggest restoration, and it would have been cheaper to buy a new gun…

Edited by J-S - 19 Feb 2024 at 11:05am
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 10:22pm
Getting an old rifle back into good functional/shooting condition is always nice.
Restoring it to original condition… personally I wouldn’t.
You’ll loose a lot of its character, it’s “spirit” as we say in Afrikaans.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 8:43am
I would leave it as original and just clean.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:05am
What is the springer? that may also dictate what route to go down...
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Mic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:12pm
My wife deals with antiques and says leave it as it is
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:25pm
I think a good question would be are you planning to sell it?
If so original would be best in my view as you'll never get the original varnish or stains they used 50 years ago to keep it original, probly differnt bluing as well, nor are air rifles a huge collecting market.
If your keeping it, do it to what ever standard you want. It is at the end of the day an air rifle and if you want it looking immaculate for your own personal use, then make it how you are happiest with it.
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:55pm
Personally if I was keeping it I'd "refurbish" but use as much of the original gun as possible.  Nothing wrong with removing a bit of rust here and there IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic