Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adjustable mounts set up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjustable mounts set up
    Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 9:20am
Morning all. I need some help to set up a scope using adjustable scope mounts. I’m wondering if someone with great knowledge of this would be able to please point me to a YouTube video or reading link about this. Many thanks. Declan.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 3:24pm
what brand of mounts?
probably not 100% right, but I think generally try to find mechanical centre of the scope - wind the turret to one extreme, then count the turns to the other extreme and divide x 2. do for both the elevation and windage.
then when sighting in, use the adjustments in the scope mount to zero at your chosen distance, then slight tweak in the scope adjustmnets.

Otherwise, use adjustable mounts when you run out of elevation or windage and dont want to shim - just adjust the mount enough to allow you to get zeroed using the scope..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 4:26pm
The first bit of J-S's explanation is the good part... Thumbs Up
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Springer-Fan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Springer-Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 4:27pm
as per JS, find scopes optical centre then set your zero by adjusting mounts
HW35E .22
HW77k .22 SE
HW77 .177 SE
HW80k .20
HW90k .22
HW95k .22
HW97 .177 FT
HW97 .177 FT 12 ft/lb
HW97 .177 Blue Lam
HW97KT .22
HW97 .25
HW98 .22
HW98 .177
TX200 .177
TX200 .22<b
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 5:57pm
Yep, JS got it. It means your scope is optically centred.

If you were going to shoot at distance, you could adjust mounts to get that extra elevation, otherwise set and forget.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the feedback. The ve now got a much better understanding for setting up the mounts. I confess that I never knew there were so many different brands. Mine are second hand and unbranded.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 2:24pm
also, to find your optical zero correctly i normally start by winding the top turret to the top. then count how many revs it takes to get to the bottom, then divide it in half and set to that point. Do the same for the side turret. Once it is set on both axis do the same thing again because there is a tube inside the scope and if it is too far to one side it will effect the other axis movement when centering because it can hit the inside of the scope.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 4:57pm
Thanks for your insight and tip. Much appreciated. Declan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic