Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couriering a spring air rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couriering a spring air rifle
    Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 11:00pm
Does anyone know for sure what the deal is with couriering a springer? Do you have to treat as if it were a firearm and complete a police mail order form and use the firearm dealer network? Now that I have my FAL I don't want to take any risks!
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:21am
It depends on the store you drop it to. You can’t courier it as it will look like a gun package and likely be stopped. Police form depends on the store sending from; someone who doesn’t do much with Airguns will likely treat it as a firearm, whereas young’s will send it out without police form (but would be required for pcp)
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:28am
That depends on the company. This is from part of an aramex blurb

Air guns / rifles are considered by Aramex as a firearm and are therefore included in this policy.

This of course indicates that spring powered air rifles do not meet the need, as states " are considered by aramex"

If you declare you are sending air rifle you'll drilled left right and center and probly refused.

Last one I sent the box got measured and weighed, I then got asked if I was sending a gun.
I stated I wasn't sending anything illegal.
Was told it would be x rayed at the depot, to which I said that's fine. It arrived there just fine.

I guess once they Xray it and see the the spring or pump piston they can't refuse as it not a restricted weapon.

Still ring the cops and ask them.

2 of my air rifles have arrived by post from shops.
One by post to the house, one to the courier company.
Niether were needed to be signed for.
Niether needed a fire arms licence to recieve them.

Ring around courier companies and ask. Start with main freight.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:46am
This might help more.
Its a response to asking about shipping an bbpistol in nz.

Yes, a mail order permit is required. see the excerpt from the Arms Act below;

A person must not sell by mail order or on the Internet any item specified in subsection (2), otherwise than under a written order—
(a)
signed by the purchaser; and
(b)
signed by a member of the Police stating that the member of the Police—
(i)
has inspected the purchaser’s firearms licence; and
(ii)
has inspected, in the case of an item specified in subsection (2)(d), the permit issued to the purchaser under section 35AAA; and
(iii)
is satisfied that the purchaser is a fit and proper person to purchase the item; and
(c)
recording, in the case of the sale of an item specified in subsection (2)(a), (b), (c), or (d), the marking on the item.
(2)
The items referred to in subsection (1) are—
(a)
non-prohibited firearms:
(b)
non-prohibited magazines:
(c)
non-prohibited parts:
(d)
pistol carbine conversion kits:
(e)
airguns (other than an airgun for use in airsoft or paintball sports):
(f)
ammunition (other than ammunition for a firearm of the kind described in section 22(1)(a), (b), or (c).
(3)
A person must not sell by mail order or on the Internet any prohibited item, pistol, or restricted weapon, unless—
(a)
the purchaser has obtained an endorsement on their dealer’s licence or firearms licence that authorises them to possess a prohibited item, pistol, or restricted weapon; and
(b)
the purchaser has, in the case of a prohibited firearm, prohibited magazine, pistol, or restricted weapon, obtained a permit to possess that prohibited firearm, prohibited magazine, pistol, or restricted weapon; and
(c)
the prohibited item, pistol, or restricted weapon is delivered by a courier specified in the permit referred to in paragraph (b) or, in the case of a prohibited part, a form specified by the Police.
(4)
A person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or to a fine not exceeding $10,000, if the person, without reasonable excuse, contravenes subsection (1) or (3).
Section 43A: replaced, on 25 June 2020, by section 70 of the Arms Legislation Act 2020 (2020 No 23).
jwabfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwabfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:06am
Cheers Kruza, will follow the dealer process
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic