Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Break barrel recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Break barrel recommendations?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 12:54pm
Although my primary airgun interest is PCPs, being involved in the $100 challenge and also fortunate enough to have an indoor 10m range (which doesn't suit the PCPs) has rekindled my interest in break barrels.  

I have a few, the most recent acquisition being an HW50 which I purchased only because the Norica Vertek I had before it had a barrel issue - as did all of Young's remaining stock of that model.  I could only load around 10-20% of pellets by hand, the rest I had to force in with a probe which in most cases damaged to pellet.  I can't be sure, but my thinking is that the barrel was machined the wrong way around with the choke at the breech end. I'll never know for sure, but it was a lovely light gun and I wouldn't be placing this post nor would I have purchased the HW50 if it hadn't had that issue.  

The Weihrauch is beautiful gun of course and accurate, but even the HW50 is a heavier than I'd like.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight springer or nitro model in .177 that will do around 600fps.  It must be a break barrel (I'm not interested in CO2 or multi-pump) and have a high quality barrel.  I'm not keen on Gamo, but if someone can convince me that they make a model that meets my requirements then I may have to relent.

A long shot I know, but if anyone has a Vertek with a normal barrel that they'd like to move on, then I'm definitely interested.
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 3:51pm
Sig?
Mines lighter than most weihrauch. But not light like gamo.
Maybe bit fast.
Accurate.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

Sig?
Mines lighter than most weihrauch. But not light like gamo.
Maybe bit fast.
Accurate.

I've got a Sig which I'm trying to sell as it's far too heavy for a play thing.  Awesome for hunting but I have PCPs for that Smile
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 2:19pm
I would get something like this that J-S has on trade me

https://www.trademe.co.nz/4405356350

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 2:21pm
J-S will know but I think this BSA model has a genuine BSA forged barrel before they went Gamo barrels...
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 5:03pm
What about the HW30? Are you going to fit a scope, or plan to use open sights?
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 7:23pm
The HW30 is a little down on power although half a kilo or so lighter.  I was sort of hoping someone would pop up with something I'd previously dismissed but has performed really well for them.  Although there's a lot of choices out there it seems  accuracy comes at a premium price.  I'll hang onto the HW50 for the time being, it's fitted with a 4x32AO Konus which is a lovely clear scope but may struggle with the constant springer impact.  It was just over $100 so no big deal if it dies.

Fixed sights come straight off when I get my guns, a red dot or scope are essential for my old eyes.
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 8:52pm
HW30 immediately came to mind.

Working at practice targets I go for .177 as it provides a wide range of pellets and economy.
 Nice to be indoors without the windage issues and at 10 metres probably want to be down below 12ft/lbs or have a very effective pellet catcher.

You had to mention Gamo.....
The rifles below will take out a matchstick at 25 yards, possibly due to the thousands of pellets put through while learning all about them.

The Gamo Shadow series keeps the power down @ 15ft/lbs and I find this allows the CAT2 trigger to function. Second hand maybe an option then re-kit as Pistons from Custom Seals down to 12 ft/lbs as this would improve accuracy even further.

Gamo Shadow 15.3 ft/lbs Gamo 3-9x40AO scope and Gamo one-piece mount and rail

Gamo BG Adventure (spring) 14 ft/lbs Gamo 3-9x40AO Scope and SportsMatch Dampa Mount

Gamo Replay 14.7ft/lbs with Tasco 3-9x40AO Scope and SportsMatch Dampa Mount.
I prefer it without the replay mechanism.

KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 9:52am
So many Gamo's Mark....

I do actually have one but it's currently in pieces.  We'll see how well it performs when it's back together Wink

Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Billbobnz Billbobnz wrote:

J-S will know but I think this BSA model has a genuine BSA forged barrel before they went Gamo barrels...

Im pretty sure all BSA's have a genuine BSA barrel, id say the remainder is Gamo factory parts and assembly. I wonder if even the newer released "British Made" BSAs that have been launched are likely gamo parts shipped to UK for assembly.. so only really UK labour + UK barrel they have always had

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic