Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trigger pull weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trigger pull weight
    Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 7:41pm
I’ve been reading up about trigger pull weight and came across this interesting article.
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/20/best-trigger/
Up until reading this article I’ve favoured a 1.5lb pull weight for my target air rifles.As I don’t use them for hunting, I’m giving consideration to dropping this down to around the 3/4lb mark.

As a guide I’m wondering what pull weights you run on your rifles?
Tentman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tentman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 9:24pm
Gidday. I don't have a lot of experience with air guns, but a heap with very accurate 22 PBs. One of my best rifles (a Lithgow LA101, it'll shoot consistently in the 0.3s and under at 50M with top notch ammo) has a 730 gm trigger that can't go any lower. The most accurate 22 I've ever shot, a Krico 340s, had the best trigger I've ever shot, a two stage type but with a superb let off. I've also had a F class rifle with the Bix'n Andy trigger that would go down to 200gms but the Krico was better.

The point of all this - I don't think it pays to focus on trigger weight, the feel of the let off is just as important. The trigger weight also needs to match the intended use, too light a trigger on a rifle you'll hunt with isn't much cop and potentially unsafe.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 9:00am
Trigger weight, or feel is vital. Knowing your trigger and it breaking the same on each shot is a good trigger in my view.
My best trigger is an Air Arms EV2. very soft to touch, stops then breaks like glass. But my hunting guns are a bit heavier so I can rest my finger on them until I want to shoot.

But to answer your question, I don't know what weight they are.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 11:17am
You make some excellent points. Thank you! I agree that trigger pull weight is not necessarily the be all end all of any set up.
The article did make one point that resonated with me and that was about a heavier trigger increasing the potential to pull a shot off target, especially for long range shots. Logically this seems to be a reasonable statement especially for less experienced shooters.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 3:06pm
I am no pro shooter, but one bit of advice I found good, especially if your trigger is a bit heavy is to put your thumb up directly behind the trigger and pull, following an imaginary line toward your thumb. This reduced the chance of pushing or pulling a shot.

It's not always possible, but it helps.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 8:19pm
Interesting suggestion. Thanks for the pointer.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 7:02pm
The trigger on my AA is……. That much heavy.
And the trigger on my Gamo is ………………..AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGG That much heavy!!!
I definatly prefer the Air Arms.
I prefer a light trigger, but it MUST be a two stage!
I also find that breathing control is as important as the trigger work if I want to be accurate.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 7:21pm
You should be holding your breath for the shot. Also breathing out to lower the cross hairs just before holding breath I find. Don't use a bi pod so pretty critical with the springer
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 3:43pm
I try to never hold my breath, heart beat becomes too eratic.
Always a deep slow breath, then second deep breath and slow exhale while squeezing.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 6:36pm
Of your exhaling while standing you'll be dropping the point of aim.
How bloody long do you hold your breath for?
You should be on target have the just about exact point of aim and just hold breath for final steadyness.
If you start to take to long take another breath.
If you turn blue your taking to long for shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic