Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pistol build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 7:55am
ouch... All that black definitely makes the cylinder noticable.
 Think those brown pistol grips toned it down a alot more.
 Still looks good. If it preforms as as well as it looks, that's easily gonna be a 30m bird gun.
 Whats the balance like with stock on? 
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 8:38am
Balance is good, although it's not heavy at all. Needs a higher cheek rest.

I like the idea of making a walnut forestock along the tank to give it a touch of height. I don't mind the black and metal, but a nice walnut is my preference. weather too bad here to go anywhere this week end.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 9:41pm
I had a chance to shoot the pistol at 32m today. I had put the stock on and mounted a small rifle scope.

It really needs a cheek riser as my chin is all that touches as the scope is so high, but I gave it a go anyway.

It's actually great to use like this, and it was an enjoyable little shoot.

I put 2 targets out at 20 and 32 m. You can see the orange squares on the pellets in the photo. I was shooting off my raised knee sitting in my ute, out the window, so not a totally stable position. There was a brisk blustery wind coming at me, so you can see the pellets hitting slightly left.

The groups look kinda bad, but you can see a couple of good clusters there that happened once I settled in a bit. I am quite happy with this, as I know that with a proper shooting position and improved cheek support, that this is quite an accurate little gun, and 30 m is a huntable range.

After thinking about hunting pistols a lot lately, I feel that for hunting, having something with a bit of length is good, as I would tend to support it against something like sticks, or a tree rather than freehand, so this is easier to do with a longer pistol.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 11:42am
I just learnt where my jaw had to be on stock as that's what touches it on 1322.
I should imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to make a band that sits around the air cylinder with a square base to screw a bi pod into of you wanted (least with your tool access) Pauly. Probly be quite handy for laying in wait,popping birds from balconies etc.
What weight pellets were you using?
How big is the square on that target?
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 11:46am
Using 18 grain jsb.
Squares about 25 mm. I had once tried heat forming some pvc pipe into a cheek piece that could be be adjusted up and down by tightening screws through top bar of stock.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 11:58am
Plenty on Web about DIY cheek raisers. Was looking into it couple days back for sig, which I don't get a cheek wield on either. Few good ideas on the nz hunting and shooting forum that popped up when doing a DIY search on the subject.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 8:33am
Couple more questions Pauly.
Whats behind the 20m target? I've noticed a couple of pellets haven't gone through paper.
Were you using strait out tin pellets as one of the ones that didn't go through has a lot of skirt damage that doesn't seem to correlate with how it sits in target.
Have you tested for best pellet or these just ones you were using as you had them.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 9:16am
It was just a piece of wood. Those two shots were actually the first 2 after a fill. If you remember, the speed can be a bit low after a fill until the pressure drops, then the hammer has enough energy to open the valve completely.

Or they have hit old pellets already embedded in that bit of wood, as i've used it before to put targets on.

If you look back through this thread I have groups at 15m that are shot with 18 grn. I have tried rws and 15 grn JSB and the 18 grn JSB seem the best and yeild the best power from the pistol. I don't sort my pellets, but check the skirts as I take them from the tin.

Pretty sure those groups can be tightened with a better shooting position.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic