Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pistol build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 8:40am
A bit more progress on this next build. I have formed the breech using pre drilled alu square bar I got from Aliexpress.. The hole is 10 mm, so I turned down the barrel to fit and I have 10 mm stainless rod to make the probe. This fitted together really well after I formed the hollow probe onto one end.

I still need to make a pellet tray and figure out the best way to attach the breech to the main tube, but everything fits together really well and the cocking is really positive and feels great using cap screws instead of a pin. 

I have figured out I need to make the actual hammer longer so the screw is further back, as how it is now, the probe won't travel back enough to load the pellet. the extra size of the cap heads cause this.  All in the name of product development.

I am planning on this being a straight pull bolt with a lockup mechanism. If I was making a revolving bolt that you lift and pull, I would need a meatier breech so that 90 deg channels could be cut into it to lock up probe for firing.

I used a 32mm round wood routing bit to form the bottom of the breech to fit the main tube. 

The stainless is really good to work with and my tooling seems to handle it well. The hollow probe comes out really well and I seem to be able to make them quite easily now, especially with the mill. I use the end mill to form the hollow part by plunging down and this comes out nicely with just a little bit of filing required. The mill also ensures a proper 90 threaded hole in the probe for bolts, and in this case a cap screw for the cocking lug.

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 9:26am
That looks awesome
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 1:49pm
The strait pull bolt sounds the go.
 Be dam handy thing to know, if you start with mags as well. 
 Sweet work Pauly, gonna be fun watching you devolp and fine tune the pistol. 
 Got a name brewing for it? 

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 2:59pm
I don't think mags will be too hard to do.

Yea I'm working on a name. My initials are PB [chemical symbol for lead] so working on that maybe.

PB Air
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 4:02pm
it's a nice play on your name and lead. It's short and catchy.
 Would work. 
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 9:41pm
I completed the main part of the build tonight.

The bolt is spring loaded, so you pull it out then back to cock, and it'll lock back in when you push it forward.

I made a steel plate for it to ride on rather than the stainless chewing away at the aluminium. I also cut dovetails into the top.

I will be putting it onto a different trigger frame with walnut grips, but it doesn't look too bad like that and it functions.

I still need to pull it all apart, polish and clean everything before I fill it.

but I am really pleased, as I have basically made everything apart from the barrel and trigger frame.

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 9:57pm
That's some nice machining, your diagram drawings look like mine haha
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 10:32pm
Haha, yea, I have an old school note book that I write stuff in. Sometimes you  have to draw it to figure out what you plan to do. And so that you don't forget it.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 9:32am
nice work looking good. 
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 4:12pm
Very impressive Pauly  Clap
what pressure do you plan to fill the cylinder to?
Im looking forward to seeing some groups Thumbs Up
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic