Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pistol build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by RangerPete RangerPete wrote:

Pauly, what about fitting a reg, like the huma you put in my little Elly?
That should flatten out your power curve nicely, maybe even give you a few more shots.

Yes, it's a possibility for sure. On another build I can make the tank bigger so that there's more room for a reg and air. It will probably suit a carbine style gun with the bigger tank, as it will be kinda big for a pistol, although Dirty Harry had no problem wielding his pistol.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 2:17pm
What a disgusting day outside here in Wgtn. So into the garage I go.

I had a slow leak from the valve, so I have made a new poppet out of a softer material in the hope it will seal easier under pressure. Time will tell, but it is holding so far.

I also made a seat/spacer for the hammer spring and this forms part of the adjuster. Pretty basic, and i'm sure there are better looking ways to do this, but function first right?

You may also notice different grips. I am now using the std Crosman grip frame and some nice grips made by a great craftsman that inspired this build.

So I pumped it up to 1800 psi and the first shot using 18 grn JSB was around 13 fpe, which was a good 3 fpe gain with the spacer. I turned the adjuster a couple of turns and got just over 16 fpe. I'm pretty pleased with that, as it's a good little hunter with that power, without being too loud. The silencer can certainly be made better as it is the one off my 362. The next 6 shots were all in the 16 fpe mark before dropping under.

I also tried a red dot sight I had. I'll see how it feels using it, and it is lighter.

Kruz, I haven't weighed it yet. It's heavier than a 2240, but it's a nice weight. The centre of G is around the front of the trigger.

I will shoot a string later. I am expecting less shots of course, but the numbers will tell. Consistancy is what i'm after
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 3:47pm
Nice.
Whats the barrel length and over all length?
And how do you fill the tank?
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 4:44pm
Pistol is 450 mm without silencer.

Barrel is 350 mm long.

I made the fill valve to fit an 8 mm fill probe, so it fills exactly like your S510. I have been using a hand pump. Basically 50 strokes from empty and i'm at 1800 psi according to the pump dial.

I have another barrel that I will use to make a shorter pistol with the barrel the same length as the tank.

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 7:02pm
Thats pretty cool. makes me want to get that .25 barrel i have and make one as well. But i have way too much on my plate right now but hopefully the next couple of months and i might have some free time.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 8:10pm
It'll give you time to design it on your head.

I really want to make a breech, but am still mulling over how to tackle it. We could combine design. Would that make it a Punga?
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 8:15pm

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

It'll give you time to design it on your head.

I really want to make a breech, but am still mulling over how to tackle it. We could combine design. Would that make it a Punga?

A Punga, thats a good one. I do have designs here somewhere i found online a couple of years ago. I will see if i can dig them up and go over them to see if there is anything interesting
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 11:22pm
I shot 3 strings tonight. It's very interesting seeing what the numbers say.

First string using 15.89 grn JSB with the hammer adjuster wound in 2 turns

Next Using 18.13 grn JSB hammer on same setting

then 18.13 grn JSB with hammer wound in 4 turns

So what I see is that the heavier pellets get better power out of the gun. There's no benefit filling it to a higher pressure with this valve/hammer set up, and that I think maybe 1 to 1.5 turns will be a good setting putting out around 13 fpe for more amount of usable shots.
At 4 turns it was shooting around 17 fpe for the first 5 shots, which is good power I reckon, but just not the air capacity for many shots.

Overall I am really pleased with how it's turned out, as it is good enough as a hunter if you can stalk and shoot a pistol well.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 9:45am
its looking great with the wood grips on! 
Performing nicely too

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic